TheWalrus

FI Q Power Handling Abilities and Size

My first major build and I want to do it correctly, please point out potential issues. Just bought an SAZ1500d V.2 amp cause I found a smoking deal and couldn't pass it up. It's on a truck barreling towards my house right now :wackit: Looking for a sub to pair it with and the Q caught my eye. Looks as if I add the cooling package to the sub I can pump another 200-500 watts into her which will align perfectly with the Sundown's output. Going Dual 2 Ohm coils and wire it all up for total impedance of 1 ohm and I should be styling.

Only thing I'm still debating is whether I should go with an 18" or 15" woofer. The 18 attracts me for the sheer fact that it's an 18. It'll be bigger than my mofuggin rims man! I also want the system to mess with my lungs a little and hopefully do a tiny hair trick when I crank her up. But I listen to equal parts country, rock, and rap and want quick response. I just want to make sure the 18 won't be "sloppy" in a 10 cu ft ported box when I put on some rock.

Don't put 1.5Kw on a Q in 10 cubes, the larger the internal area gets the lower power handling goes.

What is your available space, can you fit an 18"?

^^This. Are you looking for sq or spl? The Q is Fi's sound qiuality driver, but it has the ability to get loud.

I'm looking for a nice mix between SQ and SPL. 40% SPL and 60% SQ. I have the back of a 4Runner to work with so space is not an issue. I planned on doing a simple rectangular box with a slot port tuned around 32hz.

Also probably a bit off subject here but can I get some input on downfire boxes. I want to lift the box a few inches and have a downfire setup to protect the subwoofer from the general mishaps that happen in my vehicle..

I'm looking for a nice mix between SQ and SPL. 40% SPL and 60% SQ. I have the back of a 4Runner to work with so space is not an issue. I planned on doing a simple rectangular box with a slot port tuned around 32hz.

Also probably a bit off subject here but can I get some input on downfire boxes. I want to lift the box a few inches and have a downfire setup to protect the subwoofer from the general mishaps that happen in my vehicle..

Just get a grill to cover the sub. I'd look into the xcon and maybe even the Fi Bl.

i was running a fully loaded Q15 off a SAZ-1500d for a while perfectly fine. Just be sure to be careful with the gains. Great daily setup IMO. But soon you might be like me and craving :morepower1::drink40:

Get a room haha, the Q can easily handle 1200w my buddy does that daily with his Q 12" with the cooling package, really clean bass, however its in a truck so box size was limited. From the systems I have heard in similar SUVs to my Yukon, 31-34hz gets loud and sound good at the same time. My 18" hits all of the notes, while some of the 15s i have heard do not hit all the lows, may be just my ears though.

Get a room haha, the Q can easily handle 1200w my buddy does that daily with his Q 12" with the cooling package, really clean bass, however its in a truck so box size was limited. From the systems I have heard in similar SUVs to my Yukon, 31-34hz gets loud and sound good at the same time. My 18" hits all of the notes, while some of the 15s i have heard do not hit all the lows, may be just my ears though.

That is application dependent, every size Q plays the exact same frequencies.

A grill would not provide sufficient protection for my needs but I appreciate the suggestion. I'm pretty set on Fi, I've been wanting to try them out for 2 years now since I heard my buddy's 18" BTL. I sent Scott an email about picking up the Q in Las Vegas when I'm back in the lower 48. Hopefully I can take a peak behind the scenes at FI while I'm there it'd be quite the experience.

I haven't a doubt in my mind that I will want to add more power. My dream plan is to get another 1500d and strap it with a second Q, gonna need to upgrade electrical at some point too. I'm having a lot of inner battles with balancing financing my hobbies and financing school right now... About to go drop 800 on a Springfield XDM and XD 45ACP this Friday if the deal goes through.

Sounds like I should get the 18 then since I have the room and it's similar enough in response compared to the 15. So what does everyone have to say about downfire? I basically need to protect the sub and if there are any other ways I am curious to hear them. One other option I am considering is a bandpass box but I hear they are a beyotch to tune correctly and it normally takes a few builds to get it right.

if you have 10 cubes to work with, go with 2 15s , 2 15" SSDs would get louder than 1 18 Q on the same power...

Be aware that every setup is different and just because this dude ran 2k to a Q doesn't offer the suggestion that anyone can do it. Also, the cooling package raises the thermal capacity of the subwoofer and not the mechanical capacity. So heat may not be a problem but over excursion could be pushing the mechanical limits.