Check out these other great forumsSoundSolutionsAudio.comAudioAddicts.netCarAudio-Forum.comCarAudioResources.comHomeAudioForum.net

SSA Tax Refund Sale
Crescendo Audio now at SSA

Proudly Selling Mechman Products

Photo
- - - - -

Fatmat Rattle Trap?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 jGuerra909

jGuerra909

• New Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:11 PM

any one tried it i just did the whole trunk,the back quarter panels and the rear seats.didnt want to do the floor because i got too lazy sound deadening is a b,paid $160 with shipping for 100 sq ft. 80 mil has any one had any bad experiences if i have a problem im gonna guess its when it gets hot as hell and the asphalt gets soft but night and day diffrence in bass so much cleaner and deeper i havent done the roof yet if i do that will i notice i diffrence in bass or no??

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Dj_Scarface

Dj_Scarface

• Members
  • 347 posts
  • Interests:D.J.ING

CUSTOM CARS

COMPUTERS

ANY THING FUN

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:02 PM

:ughdunno: I want to see the answer to this as well...

Working on my 93' Ford Bronco rebuild:

I have:
pioneer AVH-P6500
Infinity Reference 6032SI fronts
Infinity Reference 6832CF Rears

Crescendo CZ 6.5 kicks

(2) DC Audio LvL 4 M2's
Piece together amps & wiring

Bout to get:
Crescendo Amps

Crescendo Mids

Crescendo Tweets

Sky High Car Audio Wire

Rockford Fosgate 360.2 or .3

#3 98GMC

98GMC

OldSkool_08

• SSA Regular
  • 6,805 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:37 PM

FatMat is an asphalt based adhesive and is basically roofing material not a real CLD.

Have never heard about the Rattle Trap, but Don from SDS will chime in when he sees this.

Hopefully it is a decent product for you and doesn''t fall off after time.

#4 Mason858

Mason858

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Car Audio Info>

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:44 PM

I have it in my truck 2 layers of it in the doors and floor not bad for the price!

#5 ///M5

///M5

SSAudio Level 14

• SSA Tech Team

• 64,902 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:16 AM

Not an effective way to deaden.you should have asked before doing it.full coverage is of no benefit and asphalt is not effective at all.

Please read my posts with care. I do not pull punches, but state exactly what is on my mind. My goal is to make you think, make you try harder and to improve yourself AND this forum. This doesn't mean that I don't like you, am being aggressive towards you, or have any other hidden meaning. Instead look at it as me trying to make you better. In no way at all should your butt be hurt by my posts. If so, read it differently. You agreed to taking criticism when you joined, doesn't mean that you have to choose to take it personally. The more effort you put into your threads and posts, the more I will in return. What you get out of it is up to you.

Posted Image
Posted Image
New members topics >> SSA Membership Terms + New Topic Guidelines + New Member Welcome

I was. Super proud I didn't shit my pants. I was sure it was going to happen.

We sit on the same bench. Your "asshole" just makes me curious.

#6 W140

W140

Infinite Baffle Fanatic

• Super Moderators

• 4,153 posts
  • Vehicle:Ze German Autos

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:23 AM

:Doh: Again, why anyone would put an asphalt based product in their vehicle is beyond me.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 Tremonic

Tremonic

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:42 AM

Not an effective way to deaden.you should have asked before doing it.full coverage is of no benefit and asphalt is not effective at all.

Have you ever used this product to back up your claim? I disagree. I did the entire interior of my truck in Fatmat and it's worked great for me. You can check out the pics in my build log.

http://forum.realmof...-build-log.html

I used heat on a lot of areas to get it to lay down the way I wanted it to (my wifes blowdryer lol). As I said before it's worked great for me and in the 100+ degree weather of GA none of it has even began to peel. Oh and I have absolutely no smell either.

Edited by Tremonic, 28 June 2011 - 07:03 AM.

05 4 Door Dodge Ram Daytona Edition...... Dual DC Power 270 XP's
180' 1/0 Welding Cable...... Sundown Audio SAZ-4500
5 - XS Power D3100's........ 2 Orion HCCA 12.4's in plexiglass topped box.
Pioneer DEH-P7200HD..... Pioneer Mids / Highs........ Pioneer 800 Mids / Highs Amp.
I love this SPL junk. Soon to be 4 LMS Ultra 5400's with another SAZ4500.

#8 W140

W140

Infinite Baffle Fanatic

• Super Moderators

• 4,153 posts
  • Vehicle:Ze German Autos

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:29 AM

We do not need to get in an argument if this product works or not. It has been proven by many that it fails over time. Check the sound deadening sections on many forums and you will find reviews on it. If it continues to work for you that is great.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 Tremonic

Tremonic

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:44 AM

We do not need to get in an argument if this product works or not. It has been proven by many that it fails over time. Check the sound deadening sections on many forums and you will find reviews on it. If it continues to work for you that is great.

Who's arguing? I was asking a simple question about whether or not he had experience with the product. I have seen the same question asked many times about many products. This product needs more time spent on installation for it to work properly. It doesn't stick as easily as the other products do so if not done correctly then yes, over time it will start to peel. If done correctly it will not fail and it does not have the odor that I have seen mentioned many times. So in the end you pay less but you have to do a little more work putting it in. If installed properly it will last as long as you have your vehicle.

Pioneer DEH-P7200HD..... Pioneer Mids / Highs........ Pioneer 800 Mids / Highs Amp.

#10 Second Skin Rep Jon

Second Skin Rep Jon

• Vendors

• 266 posts
  • Interests:- Cars,
    - Car audio
    - Woodworking
    - Graphic designing
    - Outdoors
    - Building/making stuff
    - CNC machining.

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:42 AM

Who's arguing? I was asking a simple question about whether or not he had experience with the product. I have seen the same question asked many times about many products. This product needs more time spent on installation for it to work properly. It doesn't stick as easily as the other products do so if not done correctly then yes, over time it will start to peel. If done correctly it will not fail and it does not have the odor that I have seen mentioned many times. So in the end you pay less but you have to do a little more work putting it in. If installed properly it will last as long as you have your vehicle.

Based on FatMat's own guide and installation method, heat is not required, just simply clean and apply. So I would have to argue that 99% of the people using their product are installing it correctly and this product still has an extremely high failure rate.

FatMat, RattleTrap XXX, and even their Mega Mat products are all fairly low on the Sound Deadening Scale of Awesomeness* (*patent pending). All sport a fairly thin aluminum constraint layer too.

In this day and age, with all of the information that is out there on these products there shouldn't even be any hesitation as to which products you should really be looking at. Yet still people will continue to go the cheap route and slap on two or three layers of sh*t. :angry2:

#11 ///M5

///M5

SSAudio Level 14

• SSA Tech Team

• 64,902 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:14 AM

Have you ever used this product to back up your claim? I disagree. I did the entire interior of my truck in Fatmat and it's worked great for me. You can check out the pics in my build log.

I used heat on a lot of areas to get it to lay down the way I wanted it to (my wifes blowdryer lol). As I said before it's worked great for me and in the 100+ degree weather of GA none of it has even began to peel. Oh and I have absolutely no smell either.

I've smelt it and done enough test work with ALL the OEMs to know exactly why it is a waste of money. Functionally it doesn't at all do what a deadener should but if you did ANY research you'd know that. If you'd like to discuss the science of why you feel differently i'd encourage it, but your subjective "it worked for me" is akin to taking a sugar pill and having it soothe pain.

Please read my posts with care. I do not pull punches, but state exactly what is on my mind. My goal is to make you think, make you try harder and to improve yourself AND this forum. This doesn't mean that I don't like you, am being aggressive towards you, or have any other hidden meaning. Instead look at it as me trying to make you better. In no way at all should your butt be hurt by my posts. If so, read it differently. You agreed to taking criticism when you joined, doesn't mean that you have to choose to take it personally. The more effort you put into your threads and posts, the more I will in return. What you get out of it is up to you.

Posted Image
Posted Image
New members topics >> SSA Membership Terms + New Topic Guidelines + New Member Welcome

I was. Super proud I didn't shit my pants. I was sure it was going to happen.

We sit on the same bench. Your "asshole" just makes me curious.

#12 Tremonic

Tremonic

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:24 AM

I've smelt it and done enough test work with ALL the OEMs to know exactly why it is a waste of money. Functionally it doesn't at all do what a deadener should but if you did ANY research you'd know that. If you'd like to discuss the science of why you feel differently i'd encourage it, but your subjective "it worked for me" is akin to taking a sugar pill and having it soothe pain.

Jeeze what a surprise. Another guy getting agressive because he knows it all. NOW this thread is going towards an argument :Doh:, which I just don't have time for nor care to be a part of. Have fun guys I'm out of this thread.

#13 Dj_Scarface

Dj_Scarface

• Members
  • 347 posts
  • Interests:D.J.ING

CUSTOM CARS

COMPUTERS

ANY THING FUN

Posted 28 June 2011 - 10:09 AM

Jon pissed & since I see it coming...

FIGHT!!!!!!!

Working on my 93' Ford Bronco rebuild:

I have:
pioneer AVH-P6500
Infinity Reference 6032SI fronts
Infinity Reference 6832CF Rears

Crescendo CZ 6.5 kicks

(2) DC Audio LvL 4 M2's
Piece together amps & wiring

Bout to get:
Crescendo Amps

Crescendo Mids

Crescendo Tweets

Sky High Car Audio Wire

Rockford Fosgate 360.2 or .3

#14 Second Skin Rep Jon

Second Skin Rep Jon

• Vendors

• 266 posts
  • Interests:- Cars,
    - Car audio
    - Woodworking
    - Graphic designing
    - Outdoors
    - Building/making stuff
    - CNC machining.

Posted 28 June 2011 - 10:16 AM

Dumping fuel on the fire much?

These threads pop up on literally every forum about once a week so there really isn't any reason to continue this discussion.

Tremonic decided to use FatMat. It's his money and his vehicle. I assume he looked at several of the other options that were available at the time of purchase and decided to go with FatMat for whatever reason (assumably because of the price point).

Edited by Second Skin Rep Jon, 28 June 2011 - 10:17 AM.

#15 kirill007

kirill007

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 10:22 AM

I think it kind of sucks that people think it will come out cheaper , while they can get a better result with less quality deadener (at a lower cost).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

#1 Car Audio Forum Since 2001!