jay1one1

Fatmat Rattle Trap?

any one tried it i just did the whole trunk,the back quarter panels and the rear seats.didnt want to do the floor because i got too lazy sound deadening is a b,paid $160 with shipping for 100 sq ft. 80 mil has any one had any bad experiences if i have a problem im gonna guess its when it gets hot as hell and the asphalt gets soft but night and day diffrence in bass so much cleaner and deeper i havent done the roof yet if i do that will i notice i diffrence in bass or no??

100MEDIAIMAG0213.jpg

100MEDIAIMAG0206.jpg

:ughdunno: I want to see the answer to this as well...

FatMat is an asphalt based adhesive and is basically roofing material not a real CLD.

Have never heard about the Rattle Trap, but Don from SDS will chime in when he sees this.

Hopefully it is a decent product for you and doesn''t fall off after time.

I have it in my truck 2 layers of it in the doors and floor not bad for the price!

Not an effective way to deaden.you should have asked before doing it.full coverage is of no benefit and asphalt is not effective at all.

:Doh: Again, why anyone would put an asphalt based product in their vehicle is beyond me.

Not an effective way to deaden.you should have asked before doing it.full coverage is of no benefit and asphalt is not effective at all.

Have you ever used this product to back up your claim? I disagree. I did the entire interior of my truck in Fatmat and it's worked great for me. You can check out the pics in my build log.

http://forum.realmofexcursion.com/build-logs/71046-tremonics-build-log.html

I used heat on a lot of areas to get it to lay down the way I wanted it to (my wifes blowdryer lol). As I said before it's worked great for me and in the 100+ degree weather of GA none of it has even began to peel. Oh and I have absolutely no smell either.

Edited by Tremonic

We do not need to get in an argument if this product works or not. It has been proven by many that it fails over time. Check the sound deadening sections on many forums and you will find reviews on it. If it continues to work for you that is great.

We do not need to get in an argument if this product works or not. It has been proven by many that it fails over time. Check the sound deadening sections on many forums and you will find reviews on it. If it continues to work for you that is great.

Who's arguing? I was asking a simple question about whether or not he had experience with the product. I have seen the same question asked many times about many products. This product needs more time spent on installation for it to work properly. It doesn't stick as easily as the other products do so if not done correctly then yes, over time it will start to peel. If done correctly it will not fail and it does not have the odor that I have seen mentioned many times. So in the end you pay less but you have to do a little more work putting it in. If installed properly it will last as long as you have your vehicle.

Who's arguing? I was asking a simple question about whether or not he had experience with the product. I have seen the same question asked many times about many products. This product needs more time spent on installation for it to work properly. It doesn't stick as easily as the other products do so if not done correctly then yes, over time it will start to peel. If done correctly it will not fail and it does not have the odor that I have seen mentioned many times. So in the end you pay less but you have to do a little more work putting it in. If installed properly it will last as long as you have your vehicle.

Based on FatMat's own guide and installation method, heat is not required, just simply clean and apply. So I would have to argue that 99% of the people using their product are installing it correctly and this product still has an extremely high failure rate.

FatMat, RattleTrap XXX, and even their Mega Mat products are all fairly low on the Sound Deadening Scale of Awesomeness* (*patent pending). All sport a fairly thin aluminum constraint layer too.

In this day and age, with all of the information that is out there on these products there shouldn't even be any hesitation as to which products you should really be looking at. Yet still people will continue to go the cheap route and slap on two or three layers of sh*t. :angry2:

Have you ever used this product to back up your claim? I disagree. I did the entire interior of my truck in Fatmat and it's worked great for me. You can check out the pics in my build log.

I used heat on a lot of areas to get it to lay down the way I wanted it to (my wifes blowdryer lol). As I said before it's worked great for me and in the 100+ degree weather of GA none of it has even began to peel. Oh and I have absolutely no smell either.

I've smelt it and done enough test work with ALL the OEMs to know exactly why it is a waste of money. Functionally it doesn't at all do what a deadener should but if you did ANY research you'd know that. If you'd like to discuss the science of why you feel differently i'd encourage it, but your subjective "it worked for me" is akin to taking a sugar pill and having it soothe pain.

I've smelt it and done enough test work with ALL the OEMs to know exactly why it is a waste of money. Functionally it doesn't at all do what a deadener should but if you did ANY research you'd know that. If you'd like to discuss the science of why you feel differently i'd encourage it, but your subjective "it worked for me" is akin to taking a sugar pill and having it soothe pain.

Jeeze what a surprise. Another guy getting agressive because he knows it all. NOW this thread is going towards an argument :Doh:, which I just don't have time for nor care to be a part of. Have fun guys I'm out of this thread.

Jon pissed & since I see it coming...

FIGHT!!!!!!!

Dumping fuel on the fire much?

These threads pop up on literally every forum about once a week so there really isn't any reason to continue this discussion.

Tremonic decided to use FatMat. It's his money and his vehicle. I assume he looked at several of the other options that were available at the time of purchase and decided to go with FatMat for whatever reason (assumably because of the price point).

Edited by Second Skin Rep Jon

I think it kind of sucks that people think it will come out cheaper , while they can get a better result with less quality deadener (at a lower cost).

The main reason some people go cheap is they want to go about it rite way & get what they can get without taking they bank into $ -0 for they build...

On the other hand it people like me (b4 I talked wit Jon on smd) that see I can get 3-4 layers for the whole car using A or pay the same price & only get 1 layer of B. Mind you when lookin at the specs 80mil & foil thickness is damn near the same the top 4 people pick to use... Only different is what the sticky side is made of & not a one is posting that.

Edited by Dj_Scarface

Jeeze what a surprise. Another guy getting agressive because he knows it all. NOW this thread is going towards an argument :Doh:, which I just don't have time for nor care to be a part of. Have fun guys I'm out of this thread.

Obviously you read that aggressively since it hit home. Pretty obvious you haven't researched what/how/why a deadener works otherwise you wouldn't have made that statement.

Of course we can make this really simple for everyone.

Have you ever used this product to back up your claim? I disagree.

Why exactly do you disagree? What was your purpose in using it and how did it actually work for that purpose?

I think it kind of sucks that people think it will come out cheaper , while they can get a better result with less quality deadener (at a lower cost).

Classic with how lazy the youth are today. Really sad what the ramifications are to the rest of the country. Pretty obvious why the dollar is tanking globally :(

The main reason some people go cheap is they want to go about it rite way & get what they can get without taking they bank into $ -0 for they build...

Usually when I try to save money I also try to figure out why something else costs more. Normal value per dollar logic there :)

On the other hand it people like me (b4 I talked wit Jon on smd) that see I can get 3-4 layers for the whole car using A or pay the same price & only get 1 layer of B. Mind you when lookin at the specs 80mil & foil thickness is damn near the same the top 4 people pick to use... Only different is what the sticky side is made of & not a one is posting that.

Just like looking at only Fs in T/S specs not all that published is useful and in particular with deadener. Bummer that it is so easy to use blatant misinformation in marketing to achieve a goal and not have any ramifications because of that. Seriously pisses me off as Fatmat and company is deliberately trying to mislead the public into buying their product. Flat out robbery IMO.

Quality deadener requires the installer to think a little more than with something like fatmat, rather than just cover everything with cheap shit. It's astounding how lazy people can be.

Edited by theluker69

As a rep I can't really say a whole lot about other companies, but there are several of them out there that are doing a great disservice to the entire sound deadening industry by allowing such BS statements to be posted on their websites. Be it false claims, fudged specs, or flat out lies, it hurts everyone.

Unfortunately one of the few ways to combat the sh*t they are spreading is to constantly be on the look out for these sort of threads and try to bring some clarity and correct information into them.

On the plus side, when people post here on SSA, the community as a whole is intelligent and posts correct and knowledgeable info and I know I really appreciate it (less typing for me!). :thanx:

http://forum.realmof...-build-log.html

Considering the inferiority and problems with asphalt based deadeners is well documented, why don't you back up your claim with something more than a subjective "it works great for me" and "it hasn't fallen off yet". (And FYI, simply "not falling off yet" isn't of significant consequence, especially if you understand how asphalt breaks down and becomes even more ineffective over time and exposed to heat).

ive noticed a bigggggg diffrence so id say the only thing im worried about is it falling off but yes awesome price

Classic with how lazy the youth are today. Really sad what the ramifications are to the rest of the country. Pretty obvious why the dollar is tanking globally :(

The dollar is tanking because of all of the old blood spending money they never had to earn. The youth are twice as smart and as soon as they get rid of our idiot squad in office right now it just might get straightened out. But anyways.

Ok one last post here because SSA's "click" is going to keep nipping at my heels here no matter what I say because they don't like a particular product.

After installing this product I noticed a big difference in percieved output and the also the percieved SQ. Did my numbers increase? I don't know. I'm not in the lanes every weekend testing and tuning. I know that it helped a good deal with the sound and vibrations. I was not trying to achieve a certain resonate frequency or change the entire dynamic of my truck. Am I saying Fatmat is the best shit out there? No, of course not. That statement would be ignorant. But to say that it is worth nothing and won't do anything is ignorant also.

Everyone has their own opinion about things. If I was competing and looking for every 10th of a db I could get then I would use something else. For my application this product has worked fine. I have seen some of the builds on this site from the people who always say what is the best way of doing things, and down others who don't use the best product every time and they, in their own builds, have not used these things. To me it's funny really. Anyways, I know certain people will have plenty to say so here's the floor. Enjoy!

Ok one last post here because SSA's "click" is going to keep nipping at my heels here no matter what I say because they don't like a particular product.

After installing this product I noticed a big difference in percieved output and the also the percieved SQ. Did my numbers increase? I don't know. I'm not in the lanes every weekend testing and tuning. I know that it helped a good deal with the sound and vibrations. I was not trying to achieve a certain resonate frequency or change the entire dynamic of my truck. Am I saying Fatmat is the best shit out there? No, of course not. That statement would be ignorant. But to say that it is worth nothing and won't do anything is ignorant also.

Everyone has their own opinion about things. If I was competing and looking for every 10th of a db I could get then I would use something else. For my application this product has worked fine. I have seen some of the builds on this site from the people who always say what is the best way of doing things, and down others who don't use the best product every time and they, in their own builds, have not used these things. To me it's funny really. Anyways, I know certain people will have plenty to say so here's the floor. Enjoy!

Wouldn't something that worked better for less money be more value? In that equation rattletrap will never win assuming your purpose is to deaden.

Our goal is nothing more than to not allow the members of this forum to be mislead by inaccurate information and statements, and to correct that misinformation (misinformation potentially given unintentionally). I find it hard to believe someone could rationally take issue with this.

After installing this product I noticed a big difference in percieved output and the also the percieved SQ. Did my numbers increase? I don't know. I'm not in the lanes every weekend testing and tuning. I know that it helped a good deal with the sound and vibrations. I was not trying to achieve a certain resonate frequency or change the entire dynamic of my truck. Am I saying Fatmat is the best shit out there? No, of course not. That statement would be ignorant.

In summary: No, you don't really have anything other than a subjective opinion.

But to say that it is worth nothing and won't do anything is ignorant also.

Not if you understand the actual performance differences between poorly performing asphalt CLD, and CLD actually designed with proper materials for deadening.....assuming actual deadening is the goal. It would be ignorant to use a product that performs poorly at deadening as a sound deadener, and to recommend it for such usage.

Here is a quote from Don in the Why Not Asphalt? thread, that I think sums up your side of this discussion quite accurately, as well as the problem with the reasoning you propose for suggesting why FatMat is a useful deadening material;

The important point is that everything depends on the material property viscoelasticity. Basically this describes something that can be deformed and will then return to its original shape more slowly than it was deformed. The strains created during these events account for the conversion of vibration to heat that we’ve all heard about. Butyl adhesives formulated for vibration damping are viscoelastic. Asphalt isn’t – it doesn’t need to be to seal a roof.

Asphalt adds mass to a panel. It may stiffen the panel, but since stiffening raises resonant frequency, the two mechanisms are offsetting and reduce effectiveness even further. Those who claim to have used it and had good results aren’t giving you the full picture. These claims can be better stated as:

I used asphalt. It was better than nothing. I haven’t used a proper purpose designed vibration damper so I have no basis for comparison. It hasn’t failed yet.

Sometimes the endorsement is explicitly stated:

I used asphalt and it hasn’t fallen off.

Not falling off is a pathetically low standard of performance. Testing I’ve done has convinced me that it takes between 6 and 10 times as much asphalt to achieve something approaching the same result you will get with a real vibration damper. This puts the pennies/dollars question on its head. Add the durability concerns and the huge amount of extra work required and the answer is pretty obvious.

Everyone has their own opinion about things.

That doesn't make everyone's opinion right or accurate. For example; I can be of the opinion the Earth is the center of the solar system because that's the way it appears when I look up at the sky. It's my opinion, and I'm entitled to it, right?

While I have used fatmat for the last five years! It's been great. But this year make's the fifth year and it started to peel off on the roof but not much. the rest of my truck was still in place. But this was the the hotest year ever it peeled off when it was 105 degrees out side sun hitting it all Day! But it is cheaper than Dynamat I just bought 200ft for my van! Great stuff!

Fact: Dynamat did the same thing in my friends SUV in the summer in the heat!

both product are great! Dynamat is thicker but fatmat you get more for the money so you can do 2 to 3 layer's!

Edited by big@b