jay1one1

Fatmat Rattle Trap?

While I have used fatmat for the last five years! It's been great. But this year make's the fifth year and it started to peel off on the roof but not much. the rest of my truck was still in place. But this was the the hotest year ever it peeled off when it was 105 degrees out side sun hitting it all Day! But it is cheaper than Dynamat I just bought 200ft for my van! Great stuff!

Fact: Dynamat did the same thing in my friends SUV in the summer in the heat!

both product are great! Dynamat is thicker but fatmat you get more for the money so you can do 2 to 3 layer's!

Oh, puke. Again, really???

If you read above you'd realize that BEFORE it fell off the adhesive had detiorated and basically failed. With no adhesive you get NO deadening.

As for the multiple layers, you are constraining surface motion of the surface you bond to. If there is a layer in between how do you expect it to constrain it? Sort of like wearing a plastic glove and washing your hands with soap, do your hands get clean? No, the soap doesn't touch your hand so it doesn't work. Same process applies.

Its a complete shit product with BS advertising. Makes me sick that people buy into it and believe they are getting something that is cheaper and works. It may be cheaper, but its a waste of money.

While I have used fatmat for the last five years! It's been great. But this year make's the fifth year and it started to peel off on the roof but not much. the rest of my truck was still in place. But this was the the hotest year ever it peeled off when it was 105 degrees out side sun hitting it all Day! But it is cheaper than Dynamat I just bought 200ft for my van! Great stuff!

Fact: Dynamat did the same thing in my friends SUV in the summer in the heat!

both product are great! Dynamat is thicker but fatmat you get more for the money so you can do 2 to 3 layer's!

Oh, puke. Again, really???

If you read above you'd realize that BEFORE it fell off the adhesive had detiorated and basically failed. With no adhesive you get NO deadening.

As for the multiple layers, you are constraining surface motion of the surface you bond to. If there is a layer in between how do you expect it to constrain it? Sort of like wearing a plastic glove and washing your hands with soap, do your hands get clean? No, the soap doesn't touch your hand so it doesn't work. Same process applies.

Its a complete shit product with BS advertising. Makes me sick that people buy into it and believe they are getting something that is cheaper and works. It may be cheaper, but its a waste of money.

That's like saying "I smoke meth, I've yet to have a bad experience... *scratch scratch*".

Oh and THIS comes to mind.. hehe

39a024cd.jpg

This is recent too :)

I'm soooooo glad i read this before doing my jeep thankyou to the guys that read! To the nut huggers :suicide-santa:

Oh and THIS comes to mind.. hehe

39a024cd.jpg

This is recent too :)

Haha wow

As a rep I can't really say a whole lot about other companies, but there are several of them out there that are doing a great disservice to the entire sound deadening industry by allowing such BS statements to be posted on their websites. Be it false claims, fudged specs, or flat out lies, it hurts everyone.

Unfortunately one of the few ways to combat the sh*t they are spreading is to constantly be on the look out for these sort of threads and try to bring some clarity and correct information into them.

On the plus side, when people post here on SSA, the community as a whole is intelligent and posts correct and knowledgeable info and I know I really appreciate it (less typing for me!). :thanx:

There certainly is a Déjà vu aspect to all of this. 6 years ago it was common practice for sellers of asphalt products to either call them butyl or use the less dishonest but completely misleading "rubberized compound". It took considerable effort to get the new owner of the company selling product in this thread's title to remove the word "butyl" from his Web site. It was still on his eBay ads, the last I checked.

The point is, why would sellers of asphalt products want to mislead consumers about what their product was made of? Why don't any of them use the honest term "asphalt"? They may claim that bastards like me have prejudiced the market but they were doing this before I showed up. More importantly, if there was a legitimate argument in favor of asphalt, why not make it with pride? There is only one reason anyone would try to confuse the public like this and it isn't flattering.

The sad thing is that this argument obscures some very important considerations. The reality is that butyl that isn't formulated for vibration damping doesn't perform any better than asphalt - it's just less likely to fail. Even if a butyl compound is ideal for vibration damping, it won't perform any better than asphalt if it isn't paired with a sufficiently robust constraining layer.

I learned early on that the people endorsing products I knew didn't work very well had very limited experience with other products. To a very real extent you only have to hold a variety of material in your hands to see and feel the huge differences between them. It's not rocket science. Using a product and getting some improvement is easy to misinterpret - slightly better than nothing becomes great! How many forum posts have we all seen where someone describes using P&S for years, then trying a purpose built vibration damper and being wowed? Very common. How often have we seen someone go the other way and conclude that asphalt was the better choice? I haven't seen any.

After everything is said and done, even with a great vibration damper in hand, we still haven't dealt with it's proper role - one product doesn't do everything.

That is my new favorite picture of Fatmat failing.