Sign in to follow this  
jj1479

MechMan Alternators Any problems?

As title says has anyone had any experience/problems with mechman alternators?

I'm going to pick a new alt up this week but can't decide between ordering a DC or a Mechman. DC is $629+ shipping and mechman quoted me $449.99+shipping. I called DC on Friday but got know answer and emailed them from their website on Friday and awaiting a reply.

I have looked over their topics on this forum and see some complaints with shipping/communication but know one's perfect and I just want to know if saving a couple of $$ is worth it in the long run.

Joe

Companies are always going to have problems that's life. I will speak on personal experience with mechman in the way of not having anything negative about the alt I am running from them. The adjustable voltage boost module is a handy adapter to have to tweak your charging voltage to suit what ever battery setup you might be running, be it 12v, 14v 16v. Granted on higher voltages you will have to do your part to take care of your cars electrical. One last note on whoever you decide to use calling them will always be faster than waiting for a response on a board or email. Good luck.

Just because its cheaper doesn't always make it a bad thing. When I was shopping around and before DC had XP models for my car there's was cheaper but in the end I went my own personal route with my purchase.

You wont go wrong with either company. Mechman all around solid alt and company DC is also at the same level, they just get there problems aired out here.

Edited by crunkjuice1

From what I have read the XP model is superior to any aftermarket alternator available for our passenger vehicle market. Step it down to a HP or Pro and then maybe you could start to compare to Mechman ;)

We here in Russia have over 50 Mechman alts installed on Team Sundown Russia rides in the past year. Top notch product, customer service, fast replies to all questions, no matter how stupid and repetative these may at times be.

Our Mitsubishi with 15 SA10's runs a Mechman alt - that thing can demo allday long at full power - and that's a heck of a load on an alt to run full tilt

We have a Lancer walled with 6 JL audio 13dub7's, four Sundown Audio SAZ4500 amps and 9 XS Power D3100's that runs a Mechman 350SMD - that thing burps a 159+ and destroys windshields playing music in the 156-157 range

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5N_z7oFAvI

bunch of our guys run these in daily groundpounder type systems.... nothing bad to say about the other guys, but it's Mechman or nothing here

Look at the quality of the product, the customer service and the availability and you will have your decision. I'm not going to jump in on a DC vs. Mechman pissing match, there's no point, there are so many on every forum with opinions based on nothing but hearsay, and many others who can only speak from their personal experience.

Make an informed decision, but pay attention to the details. You know where to find me if you want to go the Mechman route.

good to hear some real world usage.... must be a huge price difference getting it to you guys out there....

Look at the quality of the product, the customer service and the availability and you will have your decision. I'm not going to jump in on a DC vs. Mechman pissing match, there's no point, there are so many on every forum with opinions based on nothing but hearsay, and many others who can only speak from their personal experience.

Make an informed decision, but pay attention to the details. You know where to find me if you want to go the Mechman route.

I'll be one to comment on my personal experience with Mechman.

Ordering my alt was simple, emailed them, got some prices, called them up, on my first phone call I was able to place my order.

My alt came in a timely manner, I think 4 days. I was having a few problems hooking it up (ALL WERE FROM MY ROOKIE MISTAKES,) every single time I called, Matt answered and was very patient on the phone with me until I got my problem fixed.

The AVBM is awesome and very handy for changing your voltage on the fly, such as in the lanes or driving on a long road trip.

The quality of the product is fantastic, but you can expect that from either DC or Mechman. Due to my experience with Matt being a loyal producer to the consumer because I was a rookie, he has a life-long customer here.

Edited by AllenH427

Yes I think I'll go with a Mechman. I have emailed them and Eric has returned all of my emails and the build time is alot faster then the others that i have emailed/looked at. As for Dc power they have yet to email me back and Excessive amperage can only make me a 250 amp unit thats alot more money then what the mechman 270a unit costs.

Also I see that Mechman has a limited time deal if you spend over $300 you get free shipping and a free t-shirt :gift: Me likey free stuff

Yes I think I'll go with a Mechman. I have emailed them and Eric has returned all of my emails and the build time is alot faster then the others that i have emailed/looked at. As for Dc power they have yet to email me back and Excessive amperage can only make me a 250 amp unit thats alot more money then what the mechman 270a unit costs.

Also I see that Mechman has a limited time deal if you spend over $300 you get free shipping and a free t-shirt :gift: Me likey free stuff

Don't forget that the free shipping/free t-shirt is for a limited time. I don't want you to miss out if we run out of shirts (you can't have mine!) or have to pay shipping.

-Eric@mechman.

Don't forget that the free shipping/free t-shirt is for a limited time. I don't want you to miss out if we run out of shirts (you can't have mine!) or have to pay shipping.

-Eric@mechman.

Don't worry I gots ur money :Bling:

014-1.jpg

Just have to make some time to drive to the bank.

-Eric@mechman.

Don't worry I gots ur money :Bling:

014-1.jpg

Just have to make some time to drive to the bank.

lmao ... can i haz???? :eek5wavey:

Sure just give me a mechman 270a alt for my escape and its yours :fing34:

I_Lold.jpg?t=1241994388

Ah, Mr. Franklin, my best friend.

How is your new Mechman alt?? Wondering because I recommended Mechman to a friend (member here) for his F150, plus they have that deal going on so a 270amp for 10% is a good deal.

How is your new Mechman alt?? Wondering because I recommended Mechman to a friend (member here) for his F150, plus they have that deal going on so a 270amp for 10% is a good deal.

I'll let you know later as I'm in the process of putting it in today. But for the price for a 270 amp like mine you can't beat the deal and they return all of the emails and they actually answer the phone when you call unlike other manufactures.

I've been running one of Mechman's 270 amp alts for a little over a year and have had nothing but good results with it. Never had one issue with it at all. I was faced with the same dilemma, and chose Mechman. I feel like I made a good choice too. I am in no way talking against DC Power as i've never used their products. I'm sure Rob does a heck of a job providing top notch equipment also. I'm just speaking from personal experience, if you go Mechman, you won't regret it.

Edited by 07merc

I'll let you know later as I'm in the process of putting it in today. But for the price for a 270 amp like mine you can't beat the deal and they return all of the emails and they actually answer the phone when you call unlike other manufactures.

Thanks guys. The 270 says its a driect fit for his 98 f150 ext. cab. Hope it works for him!

Well I installed it and it wont turn (on) when my escape is idling. When i rev the engine above 1200rpm's it shoots to 14.3-14.5 volts on fluke volt meter but when idling it drops to 12.2 and my battery light comes on. I have checked the plug that plugs into the alt and it is snapped in and the factory cable and my 1/0 guage cable is attached and my belt is very tight. So I guess I'm screwed as I asked Eric about the 2 year warranty and he said that my alt doesn't qualify as I bought it on the 1st and they implemented the new warranty on the 13th.

I had a similier problem when I first installed it last time and it was the plug and all I had to do is push on it and it snapped into place, but now I have removed the plug and snapped it back into place and still know voltage at idile. So after all of this I removed the meacman alt and put my factory one back in and it works like normal so i reinstalled the mechamn alt and still the same so I think im done screwing aroung with this as it takes little over 3 1/2 hours to remove the factory alt and install this piece piece of S*** and since this is the third time I installed this its just not worth my time and hassle an another $30 to send it back again and plus what ever the cost of repair would be.. And also I had over 5 hours to install it the first time as I had to cut/grind on the mounting blocks they sent cause they didn't fit and had to be modified.

So thats my opinion take it as you will.

Pm me If you want to buy it for parts. I paid $449.99 + $30 to ship it back to get fixed last time so make me an offer but remember it DOESN'T work only for parts!!

I don't like to down any business but i had sent mine back 2 times for repair at my cost of shipping. Not to mention every time i pulled it in and out i had to get new transmission fluid. Also like to say it never worked to begin with so the fact they so called repair it twice was a joke. The second i got my DC XP250 i could clearly see the difference. The are just plain monsters and never let up no matter the conditions. Ive read alot myself about the horrid customer service but that was nothing i experienced at all. People need to come to the realization that your not the only one that is calling or emailing them and on top of that he is building them. First time i called i left a message and within the hour was called back. Very friendly gave me the run down on everything and answered every question i asked. Impatience will get you nowhere in life and the best things take time.

Well I installed it and it wont turn (on) when my escape is idling. When i rev the engine above 1200rpm's it shoots to 14.3-14.5 volts on fluke volt meter but when idling it drops to 12.2 and my battery light comes on. I have checked the plug that plugs into the alt and it is snapped in and the factory cable and my 1/0 guage cable is attached and my belt is very tight. So I guess I'm screwed as I asked Eric about the 2 year warranty and he said that my alt doesn't qualify as I bought it on the 1st and they implemented the new warranty on the 13th.

I had a similier problem when I first installed it last time and it was the plug and all I had to do is push on it and it snapped into place, but now I have removed the plug and snapped it back into place and still know voltage at idile. So after all of this I removed the meacman alt and put my factory one back in and it works like normal so i reinstalled the mechamn alt and still the same so I think im done screwing aroung with this as it takes little over 3 1/2 hours to remove the factory alt and install this piece piece of S*** and since this is the third time I installed this its just not worth my time and hassle an another $30 to send it back again and plus what ever the cost of repair would be.. And also I had over 5 hours to install it the first time as I had to cut/grind on the mounting blocks they sent cause they didn't fit and had to be modified.

So thats my opinion take it as you will.

Pm me If you want to buy it for parts. I paid $449.99 + $30 to ship it back to get fixed last time so make me an offer but remember it DOESN'T work only for parts!!

Sooo it does work, just not at idle...

get a smaller pulley

but a user shouldn't have to do that....

I know one alternator may work for many vehicles but perhaps some vehicles need different size pulleys?

This is the thing with DC-

DC actually tests their alts on the vehicle so they know what pulley goes on there.

I'm not saying Mechman doesn't...

But on my car.. i put a hellafied load on it one time (over 1000A) and it only did 79A HOT at idle when it was rated to do 150A COLD at idle)

After looking at the spec sheet they used to supply with their alts, i noticed the crank to alternator pulley ratio was NOT the same as my idle rating!

Their idle rating assumed i would be idling at 800rpm.. I idle at ~650rpm...

It's peak was rated at 258A cold and i was able to get 220 somethin amps at 4,000rpm Engine, clearily high enough for max output.

Now, that 220 somethin sounds right for HOT rating but idle rating was way off.. hence, wrong pulley for me too.

My alt ended up burning out the rectifier because i had to charge 3 near dead batts or else i wasnt gettin home... then a week later the alt smoked out...

Clearily, my fault, but.. there are some other alts out there that have temp sensing in them that prevent such things from failing... And the fact they are built with dual rectifiers.... Think overbuilt out your ass..

If a user was purchasing an alt JUST to supply power for what they already have.. then Mechman would be fine...

But somebody like me running over 20kw and can only fit 1 alt in the car and lots of batts.. i need something that can take abuse without failure.... Different applications call for different equipment.. Hence i pay lots more for something else because i have no other choice.

Sean I agree sometimes i forget i'm not avg user and think everyone knows everything.

But jj ur alt does work if it is cutting on at higher rpms.

most times HO alts dont cut on at lower idle, and honestly from reading DC and Mech post i thought they were supposed to work at idle.

But your problem is just the pulley in most cases so dont throw away ur investment for nothing.

lol, dont ever just throw away an alt.

IF the case is good.. it can ALWAYS be rebuilt...