sundownz

Fun little "SQ" project I'm starting today

Just got off the phone with my local machine shop... looks like they can make the copper tube I need @ 75mm long x 74mm ID x 76mm OD

Also looks like I can get a 77mm diameter coil former from Precision... and that I have a nifty motor here already in stock with a 40mm tall top plate.

Can anyone guess what I'm doing ? :)

Hint : When I'm done with the first one it's going in my daily driver.

Edited by sundownz

no clue what you are doing but I am tuned in for sure!

OK I give up!! :ughdunno:

I smell an underhung motor with a copper sleeve on the polepiece

If the awesome factor is high enough I may even offer an "NSQ" woofer setup this way :drink40:

Of course it will be one of the worlds biggest, heaviest, and deepest SQ drivers *laughs*

Edited by sundownz

I really am not sure that something like this would sell at all but I sure as heck want one for my car :fing34: :fing34: :fing34:

I really am not sure that something like this would sell at all but I sure as heck want one for my car :fing34: :fing34: :fing34:

If you make another one Ill take it of your hands Jacob, sounds more up my alley.

Damn I will have to sell my 12" Z v.2.5's Nik just built me for these :peepwall:

Hmm quite interesting, I love the underhung based driver I've used ( IA Flatlyne). Kinda curious on how it would sound.puzzled.gif

How tall of a coil are you using?

Very interesting to see this ...

Ported or sealed enclosure ?? VERY low tuning I hope ...

I expect the Qts to be somewhere in the 0.35 to 0.45 range -- may take a couple tries on the spiders to nail it... but I'm shooting for a flexible sealed / ported capable driver with a pretty low Fs.

how will this affect the power handling? this sounds like something im interested in.

SHIT SHIT SHIT!!! I'm tuned in bro!!!

how will this affect the power handling? this sounds like something im interested in.

I'd say a 1000-watt rating would be reasonable with the "NSQ" coil considering how effective the motor ventilation is -- but certainly not 2000 anymore :)

An "NSQ" woofer would be interesting.....

1000 watt rating sounds like a good number for a SQ orientated driver. Definitely tuned in.

Edited by beandip

VERY low tuning I hope ...

What difference would that make? Have you heard of the law of diminishing returns? Always better to tune for the desired response based on each specific woofers specifications, blindly offering anything else isn't a good idea.

I expect the Qts to be somewhere in the 0.35 to 0.45 range [...] with a pretty low Fs.

That would make for a great "IB" sub in a car too :)