sundownz

Fun little "SQ" project I'm starting today

VERY low tuning I hope ...

What difference would that make? Have you heard of the law of diminishing returns? Always better to tune for the desired response based on each specific woofers specifications, blindly offering anything else isn't a good idea.

You should already know, low tuning=SQ. Come on now, get with the program noob.

SOUNDS LIKE AN AMAZING WOOFER Z!!!! I cant wait to see th e progress, and What do you have in your daily driver right now?

A couple prototype copper sleeves are done -- had them made locally down the street.

CIMG5035.JPG

CIMG5036.JPG

CIMG5037.JPG

* Full 1 mm thickness

CIMG3962.JPG

CIMG3960.JPG

So this is one meaty "SQ" driver :)

Coils are being made as well.

Sheesh now that is what I call a sexy looking SQ based motor! Even though we all know the menacing output capability of the orignal motor!

2,000 watt SQ Sub woofer!

Definitely have my attention.

I know you said this is going in your car but do you plan on making this available to the masses, seems like your getting a lot of attention and requests for some. What size are you making this driver out to be?

I know you said this is going in your car but do you plan on making this available to the masses, seems like your getting a lot of attention and requests for some. What size are you making this driver out to be?

It should be versatile enough for 10s to 15s -- I could do 18s but I'd say those would be more IB friendly than box friendly.

If it works out well I'll offer these up for sale.

I could do 18s but I'd say those would be more IB friendly than box friendly.

Nothing wrong with that ;)

Plan it right and you might even be able to steal some of the HT/HA market with a driver like that.

It should be versatile enough for 10s to 15s -- I could do 18s but I'd say those would be more IB friendly than box friendly.

If it works out well I'll offer these up for sale.

In home 18" IB... makes my heart flutter.

First iteration sample coils are in -- I am going to try two versions of the coil to see which I like the best / works the best.

CIMG5071.JPG

Very light... very low inductance... so likely spider will be very soft as well to get the FS where I want it.

Holding the coil in my hand I think I should use one NS style spider to get where I want to be with it.

CIMG5072.JPG

CIMG5073.JPG

Should be ready to test tomorrow... I have the SAX-200.4 in my car to run this @ 2 ohms bridged on :)

Look at the ass on that, I did a double take. :attempt:

Thats one sexy lookin driver! :wub: Keep up the amazing work!

Anxious to hear how this pans out.

Gonna be a little heavy -_-

I played it a bit free-air this morning and it works; I was pleased with that as the gap to the pole is less than an RE MT *laughs*

I do need to take note next time when assembling it that the surround pulled the coil forward a bit when I glued it together... need to start a few mm back when assembling it. Looks like 3-4mm or so off forward.

Light little coil (80 grams) and soft spider cannot overcome the surrounds desire to pull forward a bit :)

Should still get a good idea of performance and specs, though -- I need to re-build it with the other coil type anyway after a bit of testing :drink40:

Is this something you will release to the public once testing meets expectations?

Sounds like an SQ Beast!

Should be ready to test tomorrow... I have the SAX-200.4 in my car to run this @ 2 ohms bridged on :)

What music are your testing with ??

Hopefully a nice classical/jazz mix ... or maybe some cool pipe organ notes ... :drink40:

May I suggest some "Eagles" - "Long Road to Eden" ... :fing34:

Measured the specs. Modeled sealed box response is super deep; this coil would do some work in IB in 10s and 12s and also great for moderate sized sealed.

Re : 7.25 ohms

Le : 1.08 mH (super low for an 8 ohm nominal on a 3" coil) **

Fs : 34.1 Hz

Qts : 0.75

Qms : 4.23

Qes : 0.91

Vas : 31 L

BL : 19.75

Cms : 95.18 uM/N

Sens : 83.1 dB 1w/1m

Mms : 228 grams

Linear x-max 70% BL : 22mm one-way

** Morel Ultimate with 2-layer coil is 1.33 mH with only 12.5mm x-max

So this coil worked out great for moderate to large sealed or IB -- I am putting it in small sealed to see how I like it. More linear drivers such as this tend to sound great even with a high Qtc sealed (see SI BM MKIII).

The other coil will have more wire in the gap so should drop Qts and Fs too (as it's heavier).

These speakers are with MINIMAL break-in as well.

I've been driving around with the first prototype for some time now and I really do enjoy it quite a bit -- I haven't made one with the "beefier" coil yet but I believe that it will really perfect the sub and will likely be what I offer when these go up for sale... once I get a moment to work on my own stuff again I'll build one with the other coil to test.

I intend to make these publicly available for sale once the next run of NS v.2 motors arrives.

wowzers underhung Sq beast going into production. you will definitely attract a different bunch of audio guys with this one. i guess price will be around the same as a nightshade???

wowzers underhung Sq beast going into production. you will definitely attract a different bunch of audio guys with this one. i guess price will be around the same as a nightshade???

Yes, NS v.2 + cost of the copper sleeve.

What will be the rated rms with the beefier coil?