sundownz

Fun little "SQ" project I'm starting today

So who would honestly buy one or know someone who would ?

MAP would be around $600 from an authorized dealer... but in the SQ realm that is not a ton for a reference level SQ 12" woofer.

I do plan to Klippel it once I get one built with the thicker coil.

MAP would be around $600 from an authorized dealer... but in the SQ realm that is not a ton for a reference level SQ 12" woofer.

I will, I will! Need a sub for my civic build!

I will definitle buy one although if we can get about a month lead time on when payment would be needed to allocate funds, as I have a lot of other projects going on.

too ensure I don't spend my play money on something else at the wrong time

I'd love to see the kit 2-way with crossover...you had posted long ago

Still working on that.

I would buy 2 of them depending on mounting depth, I have feeling it would be over 7" inches. What do you think Sundown?

In my humble opinion you would probably have as much or more success with a driver like that in the HT/HA market as you would in car audio. Off of just a cursory observation of general habits, I think a lot of car audio SQ guys might shy away from a $600 SQ woofer that's 75lbs and nearly a foot deep (guessing the dimensions). HT guys might not care as much and there's a lot more offerings in that price range in that market, making the price less of a concern.

Again, just my humble opinion.

In my humble opinion you would probably have as much or more success with a driver like that in the HT/HA market as you would in car audio. Off of just a cursory observation of general habits, I think a lot of car audio SQ guys might shy away from a $600 SQ woofer that's 75lbs and nearly a foot deep (guessing the dimensions). HT guys might not care as much and there's a lot more offerings in that price range in that market, making the price less of a concern.

Again, just my humble opinion.

Noted. I have considered doing HT woofers before for that reason :)

I made this reply over on CACO -- figured I'd re-post it with good info :

http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/forum/1454648-post75.html

----------

Yep! Expected MAP price is $600 even for the 12" model, which I assume will be the most popular.

The NS v.2 motor already has two shorting rings as well -- so it has a triple shorting design now in NS-Q form.

Underhung was for a more linear BL -- so basically what you said more technically :)

The spider was made softer as the under-hung coils is SO light it had to be to get the desired specifications -- in my testing the single NS style spider also has no issue handling my 1kw amp.

Another cool thing about under-hung is that they drop off drastically after their linear boundaries in BL. So the sub is basically incapable of over-driving the suspension.

It actually works out phenomenally well with the ultra-tall top plate on the NS v.2 -- the FEA simulation shows a KILLER BL "curve" -- there is literally almost no BL shift whatsoever for almost 15mm one-way (where most of your SQ listening will happen).

NS-Q_BL_Curve.jpg

Very nice looking BL curve.

T/S still looking the same as shown on Pg 3 ?

I plan to use a coil with fatter wire for testing in the near future -- I think it will be what I go with in the end. Will drop Qts and Fs

I plan to use a coil with fatter wire for testing in the near future -- I think it will be what I go with in the end. Will drop Qts and Fs

Just a question here ... please don't get mad.

Is your vehicle set up for Sound Quality ?? Meaning the front stages and images correctly ...

just asking because the judges this year in Sound Quality competition was more interested in the blending of the system with more of a "Up front on the dash" bass verses raw bass power sounding clear and dynamic ...

Given the correct ported enclosure tuning and installation ... How do you think this Driver would preform ??

Do you think it would give the correct definition when the (MECA) Chesky test tracks are played with the stand up bass ??

again, please ... just a question ...

Just a question here ... please don't get mad.

Is your vehicle set up for Sound Quality ?? Meaning the front stages and images correctly ...

just asking because the judges this year in Sound Quality competition was more interested in the blending of the system with more of a "Up front on the dash" bass verses raw bass power sounding clear and dynamic ...

Given the correct ported enclosure tuning and installation ... How do you think this Driver would preform ??

Do you think it would give the correct definition when the (MECA) Chesky test tracks are played with the stand up bass ??

again, please ... just a question ...

My current vehicle is not extremely SQ oriented -- haven't had the time to really mess with it in recent years. A few of my prior rides were set up very nicely for SQ in terms of imaging, staging, etc.

I am not concerned with what any judge thinks (subjective) about SQ with this design -- I am concerned with making a driver with objectively low BL, suspension, and inductive distortion. Due to these factors the driver can be used in any setup that is concerned with low distortion and high output. As long as the driver is properly integrated in the system it should do extremely well in any SQ setup as the driver itself will reproduce the signal that is put into it very accurately.