Quentin Jarrell

An update on what's going on with our subwoofers

Even though the cones and spiders I recieved were not correct I was able to come up with a little something to test the coil and motor I will be using. You can see from the pictures the OD of the surround is a little to close to the mounting holes. The spider was also a little large so that had to be trimmed a bit.

So far I am happy with the coil. 250-500 watts is all that will be needed for daily listening. Any more power really didn't result in much more output on the TL that would justify more power for daily listening. I ran a Bass Mechanic cd on it full tilt for 30 min straight with apprx. 980 watts clamped and the "Coil Bonder" glue smelled a little but the coil looked and functioned properly. So far I have put about 30 hours of play on it and it looks and sounds fine.

IMG_0335.jpg

IMG_0331.jpg

IMG_0332.jpg

IMG_0333.jpg

IMG_0334.jpg

Just got another update from my designer. Final softpart samples on the Genesis and initial samples for the divine high output woofer will be here in about 15 days.

The divine's motor weighs 96 pounds alone!

And i was complaining my old Soundstream xxx 15's motor was a beast! (O.o)

Edited by orlando144

The divine's motor weighs 96 pounds alone!

And i was complaining my old Soundstream xxx 15's motor was a beast! (O.o)

If soundstream's specs are accurate. Our motor is projected to have 130% more motor force than the xxx 15 and 19% more motor force than their 18. This is with a 4 inch daily use coil (we will be recruiting the help of some seasoned competitors for spl specific recones). I only know of two subs that might have more motor force in the market today.

Holy .... =O

Thats alot of force!

Any reason neo wasn't used? Im guessing more expensive...

And what subwoofers are you refering to? DD Z?

wow sounds like some crazy sub!

Holy .... =O

Thats alot of force!

Neo is great but it is expensive. Because China has put a choke hold on exports(they have one of the only supplies in the world) some prices have gone up 300 percent since last year. Plus neo is heat sensitive, it loses its magnetic force when extreme amounts of power is used

Also our sub uses an 11 inch diameter, 44mm thick steel top plate bot to mention a massive steel 4 inch polepiece and 11 inch diameter backplate. So even if neo was used the amount of steel in the motor would defeat the purpose. The 2 inch thick 11 inch diameter ferrite magnet we are using produces plenty enough force, coupled with the fact it is xbl^2 enabled. Retained about 95% of its BL (about 34.5) all the way to 20-22mm it should be a nasty driver.

Holy .... =O

Thats alot of force!

Neo is great but it is expensive. Because China has put a choke hold on exports(they have one of the only supplies in the world) some prices have gone up 300 percent since last year. Plus neo is heat sensitive, it loses its magnetic force when extreme amounts of power is used

Also our sub uses an 11 inch diameter, 44mm thick steel top plate bot to mention a massive steel 4 inch polepiece and 11 inch diameter backplate. So even if neo was used the amount of steel in the motor would defeat the purpose. The 2 inch thick 11 inch diameter ferrite magnet we are using produces plenty enough force, coupled with the fact it is xbl^2 enabled. Retained about 95% of its BL (about 34.5) all the way to 20-22mm it should be a nasty driver.

Im guessing this thing doesn't need a whole lot of power to get down and dirty, o and i live about an hour and a half away if you need people to test em :peepwall:

Edited by trod2902

Any update with your subwoofers?

!^this

I have several things on the way. The first round of things are being manufactured right now and will be available towards the end of January.

dozeoff.gif whats new?

I have changed to a more competent supplier. So I don't get caught with my foot in my mouth again all I will say is I have big things coming with the help of Enrique Stiles and Patrick Turnmire.

Anyone not knowing who these engineers are, they are responsible for a ton of high quality drivers. Patrick's software SpeaD is The standard design software in the industry.

They are both responsible for the original Orion Strokers and are regarded by Vance Dickason and Klippel as being two of the top engineers in the business.

So in a little time we will have something that'll turn heads. When we feel everything is just right I'll let everyone know.

I have changed to a more competent supplier. So I don't get caught with my foot in my mouth again all I will say is I have big things coming with the help of Enrique Stiles and Patrick Turnmire.

Anyone not knowing who these engineers are, they are responsible for a ton of high quality drivers. Patrick's software SpeaD is The standard design software in the industry.

They are both responsible for the original Orion Strokers and are regarded by Vance Dickason and Klippel as being two of the top engineers in the business.

So in a little time we will have something that'll turn heads. When we feel everything is just right I'll let everyone know.

This sounds exciting, can't wait to see what you come up with.

:)

Can't wait to see what you have brewing!

Orion Stroker? Do you mean Cerwin Vega Stroker?

Yea cv stroker, they headed the car dept at Orion also. (had a brain fart there for a minute).

These guys are truly geniuses in their field. We are real excited about the product we are trying to bring to market. The first is a extremely high output driver, then we are going to work down the line up. It'll take some time to perfect, but perfection takes a little time.

Sounds like a plan. If you need someone to test your subs look me up :)

Very cool. I'll be tuned into this for sure.

I expect it to be a while but I will be looking for a select few to do some real world testing that has experience with extremely high output systems to get some feedback and to see if any tweaking needs to be done. But we are a long way from that right now.

Cannot wait to see the end result! They sound very promising!

What type of time frame are you looking at before you have some details available?

Interested in seeing what's brewing.

I expect a beta version to be out in the 3rd or 4th quarter, however I doubt this driver will be up your alley. This is going to be an extremely high output driver with a lot of wow factor to draw attention.

We are still in the process of figuring the true performance of the competition. Once that is established we can figure out how much louder we want to make the sub at a giving price point.

Along the way I'll keep everyone informed with the process and the reasoning behind our choices so you all can appreciate the work and knowledge put into creating truly great product.

I've got a normal overhung driver. Around 17.5 BL with 1.7 re coil, 22mm xmax that should be avaliable mid September and will be selling between 275 and 315 dependent on size 10-18

The first MMAG should be avaliable for Xmas. Very large motor with two coil options.

The first a copper daily coil giving the sub a bl of 23.5 and a motor force factor of about 325.

The second option is a pure aluminum coil for spl burps. Our modeling indecates a BL of 69 and a motor force factor of around 2,800. No that's not a typo I said BL of 69 and force factor of 2,800 for those who think they need a retarded amount of motor force.

I have not yet received a sample yet on the MMAG so that info is purely based off several FEA programs which are normally pretty accurate.