Sign in to follow this  
samuel6731

plexi window help.

11id5zs.png, pic of box

ok so im building my new box, its going to house 2 15 inch Fi SSD's. Im putting a plexiglass window on the front and need some pointers on how to flush mount it. I have some ideas but dont really know what would be the best way.

I will be using 3/4 inch MDF, and the window will be 3/4 inch think 12x24.

Any pointers?

thanks, in advanced

Edited by samuel6731

Double the wall with the plexi to 1.5 with two .75 panels then cut the top panel to the size of the plexiglas and leave the bottom 1 inch smaller so the plexiglas will sit in the groove of the bottom then screw or bolt in

ya thats not all bad of an idea, just more weight that i dont want to have. I might have to try that, i have not thought of doing that way

That's how I've always seen it done, are you doing the ENTIRE panel with plexiglas or just a window?

window. the inside will be red and the outside will be linex (truck bed liner black) and its gonna have some led lighting on the inside.

Julian is right, it's about the only good way to do it. How thick is the plexi you bought?

NVM, reading > me. Cut the window in the enclosure 1" smaller all the way around, so since your plexi is 12"x24" then cut out 10"x22". Then cut out a frame that's with a hole the same size as the plexi but 1" wide all the way around (outside size 14"x26" with a hole 12"x24"). Next cut out another frame that is 14"x26" (outside dimensions) with a hole that is only 1/2" smaller than the frame (11"x25"). That will sandwich the plexi into the enclosure, be sure to use glue on the frame's like you did the enclosure and seal everywhere the plexi touches MDF with silicone. That will get the plexi mounted in there tight and look good from the outside because the inner frame is a little smaller than the window in the enclosure itself it will be difficult to see the frame.

I used a router to step cut the plexi and MDF frame on mine so it's a little different, but this is how mine is done. Yours will just have two separate pieces of MDF instead of one, unless you have access to a router, then I could help walk you through doing it that way as well.

Here's how my sandwich was done.

PLEXIEXAMPLE.jpg

And here's what it looked like when done.

DSCN0229.jpg

and

DSCN0228.jpg

Hope that's some help.