Sign in to follow this  
truckramrod

Lanzar OPTI1535d enclosure ideas and options?

I need advice with my current and future setups.

Please anyone with lanzar opti1535d experience, please speak up!

I currenly have it in a 4.35 cube net Atrend 15lsv enclosure tuned to 36 hz with 48.5 sq in of port area. Its in my ext cab sonoma sub firing up behind drivers seat and port firing to the driver side at the base of the b pillar. Its powered by a Lanzar HTG2600d at 0.6 ohm.

Here is the odd part. It metered a 139.9 at 44 hz and when I inverted the sub so the basket/motor was exposed, I then metered a 141.2 at 44 hz. For some reason I was thinking when I metered again I hit a 142.1 but that's likely just wishful thinking.

Apart from the airspace change from inverting the sub and the 5 ft of additional 16 gauge speaker wire used to connect the woofer when mounted normally, I don't know that anything else changed. I changed the phase setting but that didn't seem to make a difference on the TL.

Lanzar recommends 2.5 cubes tuned to 35 hz and giving what I've experienced I can't take that to be accurate at all. http://lanzar.com/manuals/OPTI1535D.pdf

any opinions?

Moving onward.

I have plans to install 2 opti1535ds in my truck on 2 planet audo BB2400.1d amps, with a 9A31 and additional 1/0 cable and maybe an 2nd 145 amp alt.

I have 4 4" aeroport kits that I plan on using. That will give me 50 sq in of port area.

I would like to have a low 30-33 hz tuning. I know this may be detrimental to TL scores but I prefer the lows to fill in nicely.

my max dimensions for a box in my truck are:

40w X 18T X 22D which I've found with out sub disp is 7.08 cubes and the lenght of 4 4" aeros to be 15.7 long.

What I'm afraid of is moving down from 4.3ish to 3.5 per woofer and losing output while having a better box and more power. I know I can try it and go from there but I have a few shows I'd like to compete in this month so I'm trying to prevent any wasted time.

I've heard good things about the SSA forums and I've met a few people at shows who are on the forums and were very helpful and friendly to me. I'm hoping to frequent this forum and gain knowledge and help others like they've helped me. Caraudio.com doesn't have that and hasn't for awhile so I just want to say hi to everybody.

These dang old opti's are driving me crazy...They look great and sound pretty good but every forum I've searched on. The only things people say are they want the TC style baskets, they are a good deal and play low and a few guys in MECA have had good luck.

I can never seem to find specific info just general ideas about them. I'm done lamenting.

Kevin

Edited by truckramrod

:WELCOME: to the forum fellow Hoosier, describe "central" Indiana LOL. I felt the same way about the other forums out there like ca.com, found this place and have never looked back!

I assume the 18" tall limit is to stay below the window line for class purposes? I think after sub and port displacement you'll be in the 3.2ish cuft area which seems a tad small to me, maybe not though. I'm not familiar with the opti series subs so I can't speak much to that end. When you inverted the sub you gained enclosure space and (if I'm remembering correctly, that could be bass ackwards) raised tuning a little. Changes like that are what makes the differences in competition from everything I've read and seen.

You'll find lots of good people and information here, so don't fret you'll get answers.

:WELCOME: to the forum fellow Hoosier, describe "central" Indiana LOL. I felt the same way about the other forums out there like ca.com, found this place and have never looked back!

I assume the 18" tall limit is to stay below the window line for class purposes? I think after sub and port displacement you'll be in the 3.2ish cuft area which seems a tad small to me, maybe not though. I'm not familiar with the opti series subs so I can't speak much to that end. When you inverted the sub you gained enclosure space and (if I'm remembering correctly, that could be bass ackwards) raised tuning a little. Changes like that are what makes the differences in competition from everything I've read and seen.

You'll find lots of good people and information here, so don't fret you'll get answers.

I'm from the East Indy/greenfield area.

I am trying to stay under the window line but these are essentially the max space I can use in the EXT cab portion.

The 18" tall limit is actually from seat back to the rear wall. Think typical box dimensions but facing up so that skews the layout a bit.

I agree with the gain in enclosure space but that is basically going from 4.0-4.1 net to 4.4 net. So I wouldn't expect a huge change considering I'm well past spec per the manufacturer.

I'm not beyond building a standard slot port box of 5.0 net tuned to 35 just to see.

I'm currently limited on power, but that wont be the case soon.

I see you're part of Team IAK. I met Pork Chop at the Xtreme Auto comp 2 Sundays ago. He's a nice and encouraging fellow.

Yeah Chop's an awesome guy. Yeah I'm a member of the team, however with work and family responsibilities I've yet to make it to a show. Hoping to make it up for one of the smaller shows soon.

I have to admit, I've wanted to do an oversized/underpowered enclosure build for a long time. Something that border's the absurd over the norm size for a single driver, play with port size and tuning and all just to see what can be done with something really different. When I was a young teen I had a friend who owned an '84 Caddy that had a single 10" on two old school 500 watt amps in an insane 6th order (dual ported chamber) bandpass enclosure. I witnessed that thing hit 157.xx db. Mind you that was back in the early '90's and on an AB mic setup so it probably wasn't actually anything that good and the damn thing sounded like absolute ass on any kind of music but it was the loudest thing in town hands down. The enclosure was built into the trunk of the car, taking up most of it for the chambers alone. Each of the ports were square in shape and came into the cabin to something like a wall opening all the way out like giant horns. I've still never seen ANYTHING like it, and probably never will. It still seems like Jeff was ahead of his time on that thing.

Yeah Chop's an awesome guy. Yeah I'm a member of the team, however with work and family responsibilities I've yet to make it to a show. Hoping to make it up for one of the smaller shows soon.

I have to admit, I've wanted to do an oversized/underpowered enclosure build for a long time. Something that border's the absurd over the norm size for a single driver, play with port size and tuning and all just to see what can be done with something really different. When I was a young teen I had a friend who owned an '84 Caddy that had a single 10" on two old school 500 watt amps in an insane 6th order (dual ported chamber) bandpass enclosure. I witnessed that thing hit 157.xx db. Mind you that was back in the early '90's and on an AB mic setup so it probably wasn't actually anything that good and the damn thing sounded like absolute ass on any kind of music but it was the loudest thing in town hands down. The enclosure was built into the trunk of the car, taking up most of it for the chambers alone. Each of the ports were square in shape and came into the cabin to something like a wall opening all the way out like giant horns. I've still never seen ANYTHING like it, and probably never will. It still seems like Jeff was ahead of his time on that thing.

Well there is a show at the end of the month on the west side of indy. I'm going to try everything I can to be there...with my new setup that is.

I remember back in 92 or 93, my cousin's 2 12's on the back seat of a 79 eldorado seemed excruciatingly loud, and it probably didn't sound great either but it is definitely got my brother and I hooked on bass!

Edited by truckramrod