Beandip

I have no clue, just lost a coil

I'll get it taken care of tomorrow..no big deal dude.

haha thanks a ton man, i feel like I am being a bother. guess i am not used to such customer service :drink40:

Edited by beandip

Recone is on its way! should be here Wednesday as UPS predicts :dancing:

now just need to pick up some loctite 15 minute expoxy and some clamps! oh and a manila folder :), saw your post in an old thread about how to do it/cut it up Nick.

oh and having it wired at 1 ohm now....i kinda like it...i can actually push the sub till i know its maxing the suspension (haha had to try) but damn my electrical is taking a hit, i can actually bring it down to 12.33~ volts or so to the amp, maybe lower if i tried since i didnt go balls out on that measurement. before was like 13.5 at full tilt wired at 2 ohms.

a part of me likes 1 ohm....but the common sense side says hey...more efficient at 2 ohms, amp runs cooler (never got warm before now it gets to 110º with 105º ambient temps) and less electrical strain lol.

cant wait to get this done though! for sure i will be documenting this with a ton of pics.

:edit: tried looking for the 15 minute epoxy online, cant find it, even on loctite's site. all they have is a 5 minute, and a 60 minute....would the 60 minute work fine and just as good? sure all the difference is the concentration of the activator. the way i see it the actual recone should take less than 5 minutes(the pushing the cone on and clamping part), but wouldnt hurt to have extra time just in case.

Edited by beandip

Go find it local. Advance Auto, Lowes, Home Depot, and countless others stock it.

It doesn't have to be Loctite brand, I use Permatex. Just stay away from the "2 ton" or "ton" type of epoxy. And 10 minutes should be fine, just depends on how fast you want it to set.

I used 5 mins on 10"-12", but 10 min on 15"-18" before you got to apply a lot more glue. That's what takes so long, actually dropping in the kit is quick.

Alright got the recone in. i didnt get the BTL leads though :( and the shirt i ordered (from that order mess up) wasnt there.

anyways here is the progress so far.

c9972272.jpg

3790f116.jpg

35ae479a.jpg

074433a7.jpg

FOUND THE PROBLEM!!!! :suicide-santa: as burnt as they are it must have been real loose??? i have no clue here, i had my amp wired at 2 ohms, pretty crazy though. as even the break is i would think it was from overexcursion from the feedback pops and torn there. if i were to burn them from overpowering i would think they wouldnt be so clean of a "cut" and who knows....maybe just old age you know. oh and they didnt even OHM out at all even after the break, so they must be burnt on the inside too.

27909a9e.jpg

41c640e9.jpg

going to be hanged on the wall as a trophy lol.

4e1ab0ef.jpg

5ac8cbdb.jpg

28881da8.jpg

1c987c7c.jpg

6da9a9b9.jpg

the surround was a PAIN! spider was cracking and easy, the surround was all rubbery and well it sucked.

368e6921.jpg

brushed aluminum dust cap.

7a8a4ecf.jpg

So is this a flatwind coil? my old Q had round wire as you can see. what does this mean? :morepower1: ?

96dc5248.jpg

new cone.

57fd034c.jpg

anyways, that is the only progress so far... i am doing a final cleaning of the spider landing and surround and making my shims. i just need to see how to lay the surround down since its a little deformed from the box.

Edited by beandip

Yup, no "BTQ" lol. But that is ok. The holes for the leads are small so I think the 16 leads would just give me trouble unless Fi uses a bigger terminal for the BTL.

Its alright though. Not like I paid extra. The leads do look tighter woven then mine. I'll post a pic later, getting this thing done :)

I was kinda excited to see the BTQ as well lol

Good luck on the recone!

updating.....

here is my shim holder. perfect! also the notch is so all the shims inside are lined up. i could only fit 3, if i tried 4 it was too tight and really wouldnt fit....so 3 it is.

38287352.jpg

basket is cleaned. used a dremel with a sanding drum to get the surface nice and clean, also rough for the epoxy to grab on to.

62bc71bf.jpg

where i am at now...the gasket is great and lets me know the surround is centered since an edge or two were kinda bent from shipping or laying on its side.

b0d4ff1f.jpg

just have to wait...patiently...if anything i am worried about the coil rubbing. other than that its going to be a hard wait lol.

Those are the BTL leads, there's 16 of them they are just folded in half...there is 4 per terminal..

It makes it easier to pull through the terminal block with them folded in half.

HAHA WOW im an idiot. sorry about that nick. i looked at them and since they are looped together and i saw 4 loops per side i said 4 X 2 = 8 :roflmao:

but anyways yay! my BTQ!!!

check out the left side, guess that is where i made my mistake. but the right side shows a different story.

i swear i only saw 4 per side.

57fd034c.jpg

so what do you think about the burnt leads? obviously it was burnt after they broke, but does it look like it was from over excursion from the pop, then when i turned it up finished them off?

Edited by beandip

curious as to why u have to wait....

If you are using activator, which u should be, we competitors, have reconed subs from the time we tear them out til the glue dries on a new recone in less than 20min back in the lanes playing like new... because it is.

Once activator is set.. you're done.. the end.

Spray spray..... DONE.

However long it took you to read the last sentence.. that's how long it took for the glue to dry.

Cool, but i used a 2 part epoxy in a syringe, 30 minute handling time. i was going to wait about an hour, (which should be about now) and go ahead and solder the leads and remove the shim afterward and then do the dust cap. its fairly warm in my garage now so that should speed up the drying time quite a bit.

I kinda wish i used CA glue from Fi.....i will next time but i was confused on how you would use it with the spray activator. i figured it was after you drop the cone in, but wasnt sure how the glue would dry under the spider if you only spray it on top.

but thanks for the insight man. had no idea you guys reconed that quick, or that CA glue dried that fast.

oh and i noticed the flatwind coil is only available in the BTL and BL and SSD....so what is it doing on my Q recone? do i basically just have a BL recone?

Edited by beandip

the glue dries from the FUMES of the activator, the FUMES, not the spray itself.

Very sensitive.

Man I learn something every day on here! I had no clue the fumes made it harden. I figured it was the liquid since it's in a hand pump.

No..you need to let it dry over night.

We put the subs together wet and CA skins over, it dries all the way through after 3-4 days...

this is the first i've ever heard of this timeframe.

This will be informative for some locals.

I am sure if you are competing you gotta do what you gotta do, for my simple setup, there is no problem waiting overnight. i was going to anyways since it suggested 8 hours to fully dry. I was even thinking of adding a layer of glue on the edge of the spider for added strength, but i think whats on there is ok.

the glue was dry enough to solder the leads and pull the shim out. wasnt as bad as i thought to put them in there to be honest.

e4eebb1a.jpg

love this brushed aluminum dust cap. goes well with my engine bay.

f981cc84.jpg

ed3a51f1.jpg

and there it sits....until tomorrow when i come back from work.

51f0263f.jpg

i did gently push on the cone and i did not hear or feel any rubbing so i think its a success :dancing:

oh and did find a use for that old cone :lol2:

fits perfectly.

824369f6.jpg

Thanks for the help everyone, i will report tomorrow with my results and maybe a video.

Edited by beandip

Those are the BTL leads, there's 16 of them they are just folded in half...there is 4 per terminal..

It makes it easier to pull through the terminal block with them folded in half.

I was going to say this but wasn't a 100%.

Cool, but i used a 2 part epoxy in a syringe, 30 minute handling time. i was going to wait about an hour, (which should be about now) and go ahead and solder the leads and remove the shim afterward and then do the dust cap. its fairly warm in my garage now so that should speed up the drying time quite a bit.

I kinda wish i used CA glue from Fi.....i will next time but i was confused on how you would use it with the spray activator. i figured it was after you drop the cone in, but wasnt sure how the glue would dry under the spider if you only spray it on top.

but thanks for the insight man. had no idea you guys reconed that quick, or that CA glue dried that fast.

oh and i noticed the flatwind coil is only available in the BTL and BL and SSD....so what is it doing on my Q recone? do i basically just have a BL recone?

No you don't. Trust me, I used CA glue my first recone, its not as easy.

Also, I'm not a 100% sure, but I know the old SSD and BL had a shorter bigger gauge coil(IIRC), I'm not 100% up to date on which coils which sub uses. It could even be a coil from a non Fi sub.

A long time ago I wanted a flatwound coil for my Q, but I don't think they stocked the coil you got. Only thing about FW, it could possibly change the way it sounds a little.

Hopefully it changes for the best. If anything wouldn't a FW coil have more potential motor force since it's more surface area/copper? I know it increases power handling a bit but that is all I know. The motor force thing was just an assumption.

Though I was listening to it for a week @1 ohm on only 1 coil, probably forgot what it sounded like already. If anything it's probably a Very small change and really the spider being new would probably change the sound more than anything. The coil former did look the same as Fi though. Im kinda curious to what coil I have.

Edited by beandip

Little update. Hooked it up to power late last night and played it a tiny bit about 1/8 excursion and no coil rub at all. So got home from work and started breaking it in. Man with that new spider and all it was stiff and took a bit to get It to move. But after a few minutes of play it's sounding like it's old self :) a lot better sounding than running it on one coil lol.

I would have made a video but I ended getting caught up helping my buddy install an a/c condenser in his Tahoe. But for now I thought I would give a little update on the recone. Thanks everyone for all the help and guidance. And thanks Nick for putting up with all my stupid questions lol.

If anyone is interested I may write up a detailed how-to on the recone process so people new to this like me can get a good insight. Not sure if there is already one on the forum.

Edited by beandip

Well, finally got around to posting that video....i know its a bit half ass put together but it should do.

i may seem like the "BL or BTL" type person but most of the time i keep it blended with the front stage. i do have some urges to crank it up though :D

iphone mic acts weird with bass...

Edited by beandip

Sure am :drink40: been on that forum forever, since 06. when it comes to audio i read/learn here.

Edited by beandip