The_Death_Scort

Fried Woofer

Well, my Nightshade bit the dust about a week or two ago, and I'm just now getting around to posting it. I'm not 100% positive about what happened but I want to run it past you guys first and see if I need a Recone or a new sub.

I was pounding like I usually do on my way to work, and it was incredibly loud. As in louder than I've ever heard it before. Anyways, in my 15 minute commute to work, I had pulled up in the parking lot and just as I did, the sub stopped working. Wtf...? I wondered to myself and probably said aloud. I pulled into a parking space, and popped the hatch and there was smoke rolling out of the port. I quickly managed to lift my box and get the sub out. No fire was noted but the spider was so brittle from where it had ?caught fire? (don't know since I never saw a flame), that I can pull chunks of the spider off in one certain area. It got so hot that the surround started to melt.

So... I plan on taking the old guts out of this one and inspecting. What's the failure rate on the Nightshade 12 V.1's Motor? If it was just the spider tinsel leads getting too hot, then I can get a recone. I'd prefer that over shelling out 600+ bucks. Thanks!!

A recone will fix it up no problem.

So you don't think that I damaged the motor at all? I'm prayin!

When I get off work, I'll remove the soft parts and look. Everyone keep your fingers crossed!! I don't need a 65 lbs paperweight!

There are some folks out there that can fix your motor even if something did shift -- so don't get too worried :)

Here's to hoping!! You wouldn't work out a deal with me as in when I order the recone, you could slide me a sticker or two? Lol, just asking! :suicide-santa:

im sure he would have no problem giving you a few decals...

im more worried about WHY the sub blew......

the reason being is.. the NS v1 is a GREAT sub.. and it takes abuse like a step child......

and being you were running this sub daily i see NO reason it would have blown.. unless it has taken years of abuse already...

so i have a few questions..

1 what size amp,

2 encloser size and tuning.

i have more but lets start with those...

with out the pics. it kinda sounds like you heated those tensile leads up over and over untill they burned up... sure sign of clippin.. or overpowering.

and a NS V1 is NEVER NEVER EVER a 65 lbs paper weight.... NEVER . and you say that again and were gonna fight!!!!!!! you pick gravel or grass!!! :johnecon:

Hahaha, It's not a paperweight I take that back. I just refuse to sell it because it's so fcking awesome! And Being a prior Airborne, I prefer gravel :D. I have it wired at 1 ohm on a NON 1 ohm stable amp. The amps gain is at halfway, and the bass boost is at 1/4. The EQ on the head unit is like such - Low - 0 Mid - 3 High - 6, bass on the head unit is set at +2, SLA is set at +1, and the hz settings are mostly for my highs/mids. Box is 2.25~ give or take, was 2.48 before port and sub, tuned to 38hz. The amp is a Phoenix Gold Ryval P800.2, sub is bridged.

that amp seems to be the culprit ......... dirty dirty power. :milkshakeak7:

Eh?

ill let someone else explain im getting muh drink on!

Because the amp isn't 1ohm stable? I set it to where no distortion was detected by ear. I don't have an O-scope, or I'd use that instead. What would make the amp superheat the tinsel leads? That makes little sense to me, but I'm an engine guy, not a woofer-builder.

263111_2206267354667_1186915035_2676287_1799944_n.jpg

Where it melted -

What can I do to prevent this in the future?

Definitely don't run that amp at 1 ohm.I've had one of those in the past and definitely not a good amp on 1 ohm. That amp is really only supposed to be at 4 ohms bridged PG is not what it used to be

Edited by jyizzle1000

Oh Dang... That sucks. And I just turned a trade for a 1200W 1ohm stable amp down... ISHT! Anyone on here got one they would trade + Boot? Doesn't have to be anything special, but I'd like to put 1200 TO the sub, without killing either.

overhead is key

I really don't want to cook it again, nor the amp, but in my neck of the woods, finding a good monoblock that is 1ohm stable is like finding a needle in a haystack.

Audiopipe has a 1200 that is alright on a budget does rated can find on eBay for cheap. I like my sax-1200 very nice amps I think there around $360.

Edited by jyizzle1000

I would nearly kill for a Sundown amp, but a fellow I know in my parts that used to deal with Jake back in the day said that if the amps get anything below 14v, it'll kill the amp. I don't know how much truth was in his statement, but with just a 75a alt, I didn't want to drop 500+ bucks then kill it.

when i say head room is key i mean.... when you want 1200 watts.. shop for 15-1700 watts

ill let someone else explain im getting muh drink on!

LMAO, that's so fucking creepy!