Sign in to follow this  
Mr_Jones

Dayton HF 15" IB install?

So here it goes I seen a thread where someone used two of these for this but I have lost it and cannot find it. I am interested in doing one of these setups in a sunfire. I have a15" soundsplinter Rlp but don't want to take up the trunk with a large enclosure. The IB setup would leave trunk space and be pretty cheap as far as the woofers go. I have a sundown 1500 SAZ to power them and know I would have to be vergil with gain settings......anyway any input is much appreciated. I have read the thread from Onebadmonte twice now and I think this should work good just looking for extra info before I order the woofers.

What do you want to know?

I guess to start I would like to find the thread in which it was previously done. Also just trying to make sure I have all the facts straight. Since it is using a trunk it isn't really an ib setup and the cubic space in my trunk is 12.5 cubic feet and the vas of the two woofers is about 20 cubic feet so the trunk would act as a sealed enclosure for these. Or at least something in between ib and a sealed enclosure. I am just looking for some wisdom to help me feel confident about going forward with this. I guess worse case it doesn't work right and I use them in cabinets for HT and build a smallish sealed enclosure for the Rlp and lose trunk space.

Hey so your are gonna seal off the trunk and Use two cheap woofers? I would not recomend using Dayton HF drivers. I would say that Fi Audio has an IB3 Woofer used in IB setups. I guess I'm saying you should think about getting a High output sub-woofer for use in a Car setup. Unless they dont need alot of power or excursion to make good Sound. Im assuming you want high output?

Yes the plan is to seal off the trunk. Why would you not recommend the dayton speakers? All reviews are good they are supposed to get loud and this isn't a true IB setup unless I leave the trunk open......which is why I was thinking trying to match the bad to the trunk at least a little would yield better results than a true IB woofer. I could go with two FI IB3 15"s instead but would like some theory as to why they would work better other than the greater xmax which is nice. I am not out to win competitions just a daily driver for my commute to work but I do like it loud. Again just trying to cover my bases and get all the info I can. And thanks for your input, looking forward to more :)

I think you are talking about the challenger build? Its in the build section.

I would recommend the ib3s from Fi, but I am sure this daytons would work nice also. More excursion with an IB sub will help greatly.

Well thanks S.DeYoung for pointing towards the build I was looking for. Also looked up the build linked there to the 93 caddy which is an awesome build that is still not done and there is no updates on the challenger build either! It looks like the IB builds are all still in progress aside from the cutlass. Anyway after much reading and such I am still seriously considering the Dayton drivers but have also looked at the FI IB3 drivers and they are very nice looking. I emailed the sales department from Fi tonight to ask shipping charges and what their thoughts were on using two of their 15" IB3 woofers in a build like this. Time will tell what I do although I hope I don't have to wait a full month before I get the woofers if I do go the way of Fi. I must say Fi's subwoofers look very good and have great reviews for the price point. Any more input on the situation is still much appreciated. Maybe this build will have pictures and be posted.........don't know when it will be though as I have a busy summer and autumn ahead of me.

ib can be pretty fun, here's mine w/ a mach 5 mj 18.. edit: sorry for the shitty cell phone pics. thought i took better ones.... oh and the car is a 00 olds intrigue

0221101730a.jpg

0221101730b.jpg

amps are hiding under the false floor.

Very nice how does it do for output? Is it comparable to something in an enclosure?

Very nice how does it do for output? Is it comparable to something in an enclosure?

i have about 150 watts on it. previously i had an AA arsenal 12" in 2.2 cubes @ 30 hz on ~500rms, which was a good bit louder, but the mj 18 blends better with the front stage.

edit: i would talk to some of the other guys about output since it wasn't really a focus for my build.

sealing the rear wave off is pretty important when doing this kind of install. i would talk to don of SDS to get his opinion on how best to seal off the trunk.

as far as subs go, the mj 18 was not the most optimal, in terms of spec's, for ib but what it does have is a large cone and excursion capabilities. so it turned out pretty well. im not too familiar with alot of subs but, IMO, i would look into the fi ib3's and dayton ib's (cheaper then the HF's).

this is a short list of ibsubs from "Cult of the Infinitely Baffled"

its outdated a bit but it does list some common ib subs used in home audio.

Thanks for the info and the link lithium! Also I guess I never really gave a whole pile of thought but I do have a 15" RL-p from soundsplinter that is listed on a comparison chart from the website lithium linked. I think I can get another one as well I am pretty sure they are both 4 Ohm DVC models and I am not 100% sure if the other is damaged it was in a head on vehicle crash but still looks okay.....Anyway the specs can be viewed here http://www.soundsplinter.com/rlp15_subwoofer_information.html I would like to use these subwoofers as it would be the cheapest route and I know they are quality woofers. Any thoughts on that? I didn't think they would make a good woofer for this application but I may be wrong I guess.

Thanks for the info and the link lithium! Also I guess I never really gave a whole pile of thought but I do have a 15" RL-p from soundsplinter that is listed on a comparison chart from the website lithium linked. I think I can get another one as well I am pretty sure they are both 4 Ohm DVC models and I am not 100% sure if the other is damaged it was in a head on vehicle crash but still looks okay.....Anyway the specs can be viewed here http://www.soundsplinter.com/rlp15_subwoofer_information.html I would like to use these subwoofers as it would be the cheapest route and I know they are quality woofers. Any thoughts on that? I didn't think they would make a good woofer for this application but I may be wrong I guess.

the spec page you linked lists them as ib capable, so no reason why it shouldn't work. general rule of thumb is that they take half the rated rms when mounted IB, so 2 of them on your 1500 will be great.

I also say If you don't have the mula, then go with the the DAYTONS, but if you do have the money, You should look at the Fi Audio BL's you can have them Tailored to handle an IB3 setup, and you can also have a High roll surround instead of the old regular fatty.

I also say If you don't have the mula, then go with the the DAYTONS, but if you do have the money, You should look at the Fi Audio BL's you can have them Tailored to handle an IB3 setup, and you can also have a High roll surround instead of the old regular fatty.

Cool thanks for the info, I think for now I am going to try a single Rp-L 15 and then maybe try both and see how it sounds and if it doesn't sound right I will seriously look at solutions from FI. I have the soundsplinters sitting here so it would be wasteful not to give them a chance I guess. As always open to more opinions and information!

I don't think anything makes it a bad woofer, as far as I can see there is nothing wrong it them. They look to be built quite heavy and with quality parts and the reviews are all great. I just think most view them as a cheap bargain basement brand? I would not be afraid to try them but I think I will try the avenues I listed above first :) my RL-p woofers are quite well built as well :peepwall:

:fing34: Those soundsplinters are going to be awesome. I hope you post your work in a build log on this site. :drink40: