damn coco

my new 15" FI BL has the tiniest rip/tear on the spider..what shou

Wat up! I just bought two fully loaded BL 15s.the new version with 4" coils.they are dual 1. I was giving them some free air at around 20-25 hrtz on my sundown 1500d for aBout 10 mins at the most.they BARELY got a Lil warm.nothing bad tho.volume just under half way with the bass knob about half gain.just trying to loosen up the spiders and break in the suspension.they are soooo incrediblly stiff lol but on one of them, as I was pushing up and down on the cone,I see a tiny quarter inch tear in the middle of the spider.was soo bummed..does this need to be re coned or Wat?like i said It's brand spanking new,and it still sounds great and bumps hard,doesn't make any weird noises either,just has the tiniest rip on spider and it bothers the shit outta me lol the other woofer is fine.will the rip get bigger the more its bumped?maybe its small enought to be repaired? with some poly-eurathane glue but I dunno.please let me know on what I should do.any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Edited by damn coco

So you got 2 BL's with a 4 inch coil warm on a 1500d?

That is very weird,normally they should be able to handle a 1500d each when getting a bit warm.

How did you set the gain? do You use any sort of bassboost?

Post a picture of the rip.

Well it was 100 degrees out and I had my alpine mx bass boost off.and I had the subs wired paralelle to 1 ohm.I just think they were warm from the weather to be honest. Gain on the amp was 3/4 up but the knob was only at half.only one of the subs spiders got a tear..its soo Damn small tho.I just don't know Wat to do.does it need a re cone for somethin so tiny or can it be repaired? I'll have pics of it up tomoro.it would be a shame if all these new parts had to be torn off lol but it is Wat it is.

Well it was 100 degrees out and I had my alpine mx bass boost off.and I had the subs wired paralelle to 1 ohm.I just think they were warm from the weather to be honest. Gain on the amp was 3/4 up but the knob was only at half.only one of the subs spiders got a tear..its soo Damn small tho.I just don't know Wat to do.does it need a re cone for somethin so tiny or can it be repaired? I'll have pics of it up tomoro.it would be a shame if all these new parts had to be torn off lol but it is Wat it is.

The tear could also be from clipping.

But the heat could be from just the weather .

Just set your gain correctly and turn the bass knob to as much as you want, normally they should easily handle a 1500 in free air.

No need fOr a break in period, they're not a car. They'll naturally break in overtime,

Don't run the drivers free-air, there is no need to and you can easily damage them.

You don't need to break them in.

You have no idea how much power you were actually giving them.

Clipping has no effect on the spider.

If the spider is ripped it is because you exceeded the safe mechanical limits of the driver. This is very easy to do free-air. This is also your fault.

Good luck. They might might last forever if you put them in the box, they might get worse...

Edited by 95Honda

^^^

Best bet is to wipe a dab of shoe goo on it..and don't get stupid with it either...you'll cause more harm then good.

some "Amazing Goop" probably might work...

The tear could also be from clipping.

But the heat could be from just the weather .

Just set your gain correctly and turn the bass knob to as much as you want, normally they should easily handle a 1500 in free air.

Can anyone point out why i got -2 reputation for this comment?(i wanna know, i know i can easily be wrong, can't always be correct)

Clipping can add to the wear and tear of a spider.(notice that i said COULD be)

Not saying that it is the way to break in subwoofers.(no need to, i never do it.)

No need fOr a break in period, they're not a car. They'll naturally break in overtime,

Car's don't need a break in period neither.(common misconception.)

Edited by kirill007

I have no idea about your feedback, but telling someone that giving any driver that much power free-air isn't good advice. They will do it at 25Hz and rip the spider....

I have no idea about your feedback, but telling someone that giving any driver that much power free-air isn't good advice. They will do it at 25Hz and rip the spider....

You didn't read it , i said CAN. never said he had to try it.(and not at 25hz)

(deleted it, he probably hasn't read it yet.)

Edited by kirill007

Ok ill try the super goop.I guess it could do nothing but help.thanks for the input people and I was thinkin that the guy I bought the subs from might have known it was ripped and didnt tell me because i didnt push them to the max..I wouldn't do that.im very careful with them.I just happened to notice the rip as i was about to put it bak in its enclosure.is it possible the other spiders might be ripped or would there be a noise if that was the case?the speaker still sounds perfect and works great..

You also said it could have torn from clipping, and that just isn't so. It wasn't heat either. Those were the only two options you said it CAN be, you are wrong in both cases.

wow... nothing like pulling nice subs from the shipping crate and doing somthing silly with them right away....

why so low on free air? whyyyyy

ya live ya learn i guess

You also said it could have torn from clipping, and that just isn't so. It wasn't heat either. Those were the only two options you said it CAN be, you are wrong in both cases.

My original thoughts was, Damn clipping directly causes mechanical problems? I guess that's what being on SMD does for you. You'll learn clipping is the worst possible thing for a driver in every possible way and need to buy a DD1 right away.

Heck now you need a tool to properly set your crossover precisely, because being a few frequencies off on a sub(or any) setup will make a difference.

My original thoughts was, Damn clipping directly causes mechanical problems? I guess that's what being on SMD does for you. You'll learn clipping is the worst possible thing for a driver in every possible way and need to buy a DD1 right away.

Heck now you need a tool to properly set your crossover precisely, because being a few frequencies off on a sub(or any) setup will make a difference.

That, or if it's not DC Audio then your just not loud. Oh and they give great legal advice.

Yeah lol, but OP, just use shoe goo or amazing glue/goop. I believe it works best to apply several thin layers, waiting a few minutes between each layer. If you put too much then the area will get rockhard and apply stress to the surrounding foam and likely crack/cut over time.

So the key is just to put enough to seal it and hold together but not too much where it clumps and gets hard. :trippy:

I applied some amazing goop and its doin great! :) I honestly don't think the tear was from me,I didn't push it to its mechanical limits,I made sure not too.I think the dude I got them from did,but I got both bl's for 450.00 so im not complaining lol they are awesome drivers!

I applied some amazing goop and its doin great! :) I honestly don't think the tear was from me,I didn't push it to its mechanical limits,I made sure not too.I think the dude I got them from did,but I got both bl's for 450.00 so im not complaining lol they are awesome drivers!

Haha you never mentioned that they were used....unless I missed it. I read "new" in the title and assumed they were.