JustinW

Help me with my setup.. mids/highs/highs amp

I'm just thinking that it's going to be a ear piercing system with NO midbass ... I just do not think EQing is going to help anywhere ...

This might be one system that the upper mids and highs WILL overpower the subs ...

So, next question is how much are you looking to spend? There's an extremely cheap route that's not very good but will allow everything to physically "work", and a more expensive option that will work better.

So, next question is how much are you looking to spend? There's an extremely cheap route that's not very good but will allow everything to physically "work", and a more expensive option that will work better.

I have around 250 extra at this moment.

I'm just thinking that it's going to be a ear piercing system with NO midbass ... I just do not think EQing is going to help anywhere ...

This might be one system that the upper mids and highs WILL overpower the subs ...

what seems to be the issue with the midbass? can you be more specific?

I know as it's been said, it isn't much to go by for just youtube videos but.. here they are playing la roux without any tweets at all

and here playing ghettoblaster on all levels, sub/mid/high

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LtATGtxHXI&feature=related

now the first video is from singaboy, who is the same guy who had the big lms 18s in the eclipse ( most watched tc vid on youtube ) and he is a big SQ/tc guy and he recommended them and said they have a wide range and to not overlook them. I again, know that you can't really go by youtube videos alone.. but everyone who has posted videos about them or talked about them only has positive things to say about their range so I have to at least try them, they weren't that costly for the 8 that I have now regardless.

In that case, I would go for the more expensive option. That would be to either purchase a headunit with built in active crossovers, or an external active crossover. The Sundown amp does not have the more advanced crossover networks, so you will need an active crossover (either in a headunit or an external crossover) with the ability to bandpass (both highpass and lowpass) the mids and highpass the tweeters. I won't mention the cheap route since you have the money to spend, and the more expensive route will give you the tools you need to atleast upgrade some if/when you feel the need.

Are you open to purchasing a headunit other than that Eclipse? Are you open to purchasing a used headunit?

Getting a headunit with the necessary xover adjustments would honestly be the easiest route.

I know as it's been said, it isn't much to go by for just youtube videos but.. here they are playing la roux without any tweets at all

now the first video is from singaboy, who is the same guy who had the big lms 18s in the eclipse ( most watched tc vid on youtube ) and he is a big SQ/tc guy and he recommended them and said they have a wide range and to not overlook them. I again, know that you can't really go by youtube videos alone.. but everyone who has posted videos about them or talked about them only has positive things to say about their range so I have to at least try them, they weren't that costly for the 8 that I have now regardless.

I have no problems there sir ... That midbass sounded AWESOME !!! :drink40:

Especially the one playing in the cardboard enclosure !!! What was that thing tuned to ??

Especially the one playing in the cardboard enclosure !!! What was that thing tuned to ??

while I appreciate any response offering help, I detect a hint of sarcasm when I was truly asking what issue you had with their being no midbass from these? clearly they can play midbass just fine ( among ) other ranges so that is why I was asking. No need for the rash comment like that. Just explain what you meant.

In that case, I would go for the more expensive option. That would be to either purchase a headunit with built in active crossovers, or an external active crossover. The Sundown amp does not have the more advanced crossover networks, so you will need an active crossover (either in a headunit or an external crossover) with the ability to bandpass (both highpass and lowpass) the mids and highpass the tweeters. I won't mention the cheap route since you have the money to spend, and the more expensive route will give you the tools you need to atleast upgrade some if/when you feel the need.

Are you open to purchasing a headunit other than that Eclipse? Are you open to purchasing a used headunit?

Getting a headunit with the necessary xover adjustments would honestly be the easiest route.

Is there any model of eclipse as far as headunits go that I could use? Wanted to stick with eclipse as that is the only named brand in my entire build as far as anything with a logo on it. everything else is delabeled or delogo'd/proto'd. If not that is fine as well. Im open to purchasing used no problem as long as it's from a trusted seller.

Fmods are 2nd order high or low xovers (unpowered active - I know it is an oxymoron, but that is as close as I can explain it) at a fixed frequency. They can be cascaded into 4th order x-overs (using a -3db module and two 2nd order Fmods). They can do the job, but their x-over points are limited, which means that you have less tuning abilty, and you won't get the most out of your system. Higher power Sundown 4 channels have 4th order x-overs. Use those if you can. JPS

while I appreciate any response offering help, I detect a hint of sarcasm when I was truly asking what issue you had with their being no midbass from these? clearly they can play midbass just fine ( among ) other ranges so that is why I was asking. No need for the rash comment like that. Just explain what you meant.

It may not be sarcasm, he normally has no clue about much of anything. Drew conclusions that they were 4" drivers. Amusing as those drivers do have a problem, but I wouldn't call it midbass. If they sound good to you then fine, but I wouldn't use them in a 2 way with a tweeter only and yes I have heard them.

Couldn't agree more with Impious that a headunit is the way to go, but I'd still like to know more about the install before saying anything about the tweeter other than the one you selected is good but not at all for pairing with your midbasses.

Oh, and videos do not share any useful information ever. Really not anything you can glean from them. Curious what you think you did though...

It may not be sarcasm, he normally has no clue about much of anything. Drew conclusions that they were 4" drivers. Amusing as those drivers do have a problem, but I wouldn't call it midbass. If they sound good to you then fine, but I wouldn't use them in a 2 way with a tweeter only and yes I have heard them.

Couldn't agree more with Impious that a headunit is the way to go, but I'd still like to know more about the install before saying anything about the tweeter other than the one you selected is good but not at all for pairing with your midbasses.

Oh, and videos do not share any useful information ever. Really not anything you can glean from them. Curious what you think you did though...

lol at the no clue comment, anyhow I didn't think I learned anything from the videos itself if that's what you'd like to hear.. simply saying a major SQ type guy said don't overlook them and they had great range. I'm pretty sure we went over that you can't get much from videos, I was just showing.. they can do a wider range than what cablguy184 was thinking as I wanted him to explain why he said that.

I have seen an eclipse 7100 for sale just last night, http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_8704_Eclipse-CD7100.html specs here. Im thinking this would be close if not right now for what I need? as far as I know it's just the previous model of the 7200MKII but still in my price range.

It looks like it has the controls you're needing to me... I can't download the manual, so I can't speak for just much adjustment it has, but from what I see it looks pretty decent.

Nevermind, finally figured out where they hide them. From what I'm reading the CD-7100 would be a fine choice of HU for the controls you're needing. Found the manual here.

Alton, thanks for the help. I'll contact the seller on it shortly and hopefully have it picked up then.

update: I think he said it was pending at the moment :(..

would the 5100 I thought about not work? even with/without the 6 band eq/crossover?

Edited by JustinW

You need the eq/crossover...

You need the eq/crossover...

so it'll either be 5100/with EQ or the 7100 by itself and i'll be set? sorry, just wanting to be very clear on everything. I don't mean to frustrate you or anyone else.

IIRC from what I could briefly find the xover features on that EQ1000 aren't really the xover functions that you'll need.

A Pioneer 880PRS would do you what need and you should be able to find them used for around $250

IIRC from what I could briefly find the xover features on that EQ1000 aren't really the xover functions that you'll need.

A Pioneer 880PRS would do you what need and you should be able to find them used for around $250

seen a lot of people have groundloop or some noise issue with them on caraudio.com before when I looked them up once. I'm gonna try to pickup the 7100 if it becomes unpending. i'll keep ya updated.

Ended up with a 7200MKII, paid a little more..but it's near mint/mint. missing a remote and box but I can always pick those up later on.

When you select your xover points, make sure you select an appropriate frequency and slope to keep all of the drivers adequately protected.

When you select your xover points, make sure you select an appropriate frequency and slope to keep all of the drivers adequately protected.

considering adding 2 of the dayton 7" mids as you all had major concerns with my lack of midbass, they go from 40hz to 2,xxx range. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-374

would you approve of this idea or just try it how I have it right now? i'll either be trying to work them into my current 4 channel and underpower the 4"s by putting more per channel or taking my audiopipe 4 channel OR jl audio jx 360/4 that I also have... and adding it in just for the 7s.

awaiting your advice on this. Also someone is interested in my current 8" proto neo sub I considering switching 2 so I may not use it or the 15" mkIIIs, may switch to a single sub tc based pending what I can get. i'll let you know on this as well.

also, thank you Impious.. I think i've said thanks to you the least and im sorry for that. It's greatly appreciated.

Edited by JustinW

It would make everything a lot more complicated since you don't have the necessary xover in your headunit to run a 3-way speaker setup. For your 1st setup especially it would be significantly easier/better to just keep everything 2-way.

IMO your best option is to ditch the 4's and go with something else. But that's up to you.....

got ya, I didn't even think of it.. was just looking at options lol

going to try them, others had a ton of success so I will at least try, I have 16 6.5" pyle ppa-6s if nothing else I will use a few of those in place until I find another option. I appreciate the advice though. I will keep everyone updated as I start the install.

Edited by JustinW