Sign in to follow this  
chipstien

Insight on model and size....

So I finally got my commuter... an 04 Volvo V40. Being a sport wagon yields a decent amount of space in the rear. Taking some preliminary dimensions give me maximum external box dimensions of 35 wide x 28 deep x 18 tall, (height being semi negotiable). This gives me a internal box volume of 8.47 cu ft before speaker displacement and port volume. My goal is two 15s in a ported enclosure tuned to 30 to 32 hz. First I need to know whether any of the Fi subs would work in this size enclosure. At this point I am leaning towards the Q's but would have no problem springing for the BTL w/ high xmax option. (I would choose amps by what subs I get. AQ3500 running two Q's at 1 ohm or two AQ2500, each running a BTL at 1 ohm.)

I listen to hip hop, pop, old school rap and country. I am looking for SQ but want it to go LOUD when I want. Can't allow my son to have a louder system than me. ;)

So which subs should I go with? Will two 15's work or am I stuck going with two 12s or an 18? My Ram has four 10's and I am really wanting to go larger. In truth it is just braggin rights as my four 10's have plenty of bass but hey... we all do this for fun.

Thanks.

Four Q 15's Sealed :D

two fired up, two fired back

just an idea, would give you a ton of cone area

Edited by trod2902

i wouldnt think i would have enough air space for that. besides if i went sealed i would lean towards two 18's

15's (about 700 sq in of cone area) only need 2-2.6 cubes a piece sealed, 2.8- 4 ported

Sub displacement would be about .8 cubes, so an internal volume of 8.8 would be fine for sealed

the 18's are 4-8 cubes sealed (about 500 sq in of cone area)

depending on port displacement two 15's ported might do the trick

as a side note, I admittedly love the flat response of sealed enclosures. (the four 10s are sealed) I just wanted the added output of a ported enclosure. What would be louder? two 15's in ported enclosure tuned at 32hz or two 18's in a sealed enclosure?

as a side note, I admittedly love the flat response of sealed enclosures. (the four 10s are sealed) I just wanted the added output of a ported enclosure. What would be louder? two 15's in ported enclosure tuned at 32hz or two 18's in a sealed enclosure?

i honestly cant answer that, but it really depends on your ported enclosure.

hopefully someone with more info can chime in

Edited by trod2902

Sign in to follow this