Frostedflakejake

Damplifier Pro Confusion

So when I watch all the instruction videos on Second Skin's website, and when i look at all the pics of builds, i observe that the silver foil is what you see after the installation. I'm confused because the Damplifier Pro has the black adhesive on the bottom, the foil, and then a thin black top that is glued/attached somehow to the foil. If i take off the wax cover and then install it, I'll be seeing the black cover on the outside and not the foil like all the videos and user installation shows. I'm assuming I should just take off the wax cover, roll it on, and not worry about that small black layer? That seems rather obvious to me, but the videos on Second Skin's website show differently and so do the user installations. Here are some pics to clarify. Thank-You :)

100_3663.jpg

100_3660.jpg

Foil color doesn't matter, just make sure the aluminum is on the outside with the butyl sticking to the sheet metal of your car

OHHHHH wow, they just painted/colored it somehow. Why would they add that necessary confusion? Thanks Julian :)

OHHHHH wow, they just painted/colored it somehow. Why would they add that necessary confusion? Thanks Julian :)

I guess it's hard for me to understand why it would matter what color it was. If it sticks and it's on the panel, does a silverry foil release magical vibration killing nimphs? I know I sound like a a-hole here. I'm really only joking but it's hard for me to comprehend why there would be confusion.

The black coating looks exactly like butyl. That's my confusion. I though it would be worth the question before installing it only to find out i did something wrong and then try to take it all off and go through all that B.S.

Also, when Second Skin makes an installation video on my exact product, I think that it should look just like their video. And if it doesn't, then I figured i would ask some questions :)

The silver foil on the damp pro is the old one, the black foil damp pro is like version 2... Both damplifier & damplifier pro now have black foil.

correct the top of the foil is anodized for better appearance when the product is visible. If your putting it on your trunk lid a flat black will look much better then the shiny silver. like DJ said the reason for he color difference is because the videos were made before the change.

The black anodized foil also allows for installation in sunny weather without you going blind but that wasn't the reason for the change, just a happy result.

lol when i drove around with only a driver seat and headliner with damp pro everywhere that sun would kill me. looking into the rear view mirror=instant death

ohhhh the reflection from the sun does make sense :) cool

Yeah it makes a hell of a difference, but like I said I don't think that was the reason for the change.

Well I got the doors stripped and cleaned but then the storm hit so I'll have to install tomorrow! I'm pretty excited. Had the stuff for around a year and a half but never got around to putting it in

Man... it drives me nuts having stuff sit around for a few days waiting to be installed. :P A year and a half?! :WTFBubble:

:D

Good luck and have fun!

I know EXACTLY how you feel Jake. I've had the Sundown amps, SA-8's, and all the gear required for installation for my Jimmy for about a year and a half now, it's just hard to look at that corner of my bedroom sometimes without getting bummed out that it's still sitting there. :dammit:

Oh yeah man, back when i had the BTL, I bought it 7 months before i even had a vehicle to put it in. Took like 16 months to get everything together! That BTL was a great paperweight during those times...

BTW, now its time to whine. Installing this stuff takes time! Maybe I'm paranoid about "ensuring full contact with the surface" or maybe i suck at it cause it takes forever. Also, this heat here in Michigan isn't making it easy. NOT used to it being 98 degrees outside all day. Got one door half done today :) well...... maybe like 1/3 done. haha. Unfortunately the weather report says storms for the next four days, hopefully not :( i don't want to wait to get this finished!

BTW, now its time to whine. Installing this stuff takes time! Maybe I'm paranoid about "ensuring full contact with the surface" or maybe i suck at it cause it takes forever. Also, this heat here in Michigan isn't making it easy. NOT used to it being 98 degrees outside all day. Got one door half done today :) well...... maybe like 1/3 done. haha. Unfortunately the weather report says storms for the next four days, hopefully not :( i don't want to wait to get this finished!

It's been absolutely miserable here in South Dakota with the heat and humidity. Excessive Heat Warnings since last Friday.

ya dont beat yourself up about it. applying it is very tedious and the "worse" the weather the worse it is to work on the car

Good thread. Saves some folks some time by reading everybody elses problems and tips :P

Oh wow, I don't think we have heat warnings. Weather channel says its 98 out and feels like 103. Good luck with shaking the heat there in South Dakota :/

As for now, i wait till about 10:00pm to do any work outside

And here I am in Idaho enjoying the upper 80s and avoiding the heat for once. :WTFBubble:

Well thats the weather i wish i had right now :(

Drivers side door should be finished late tonight!

damn south dakota is hotter then down here in new mexico?

In the middle of Corn Country the damn humidity is just brutal. Heat is ok but mix it with the humidity and it's misearble. Local area rancher lost over 600 head of cattle during the heat wave.