^_^ Gem132

HDC3 15 ??

Alright so i need abit of help here, my mate is looking into buying the HDC3 15" sub, and after reading some reviews he is not to sure about getting it now because in the reviews they state it gets real loud, but has no sq what so ever or a very little amount of sq. is this true ?? do the hdc3's sound bad ?

Thanks for any of the help guys :)

Pretty much :)

Ive heard an hdc3 15" before in a low tuned box and it sounded really sloppy. It got loud but no SQ whatsoever. It was probably the box. Its really more about the box/car/install and type of music he likes. Its less dependent on the sub.

Pretty much :)

he was hoping this wasnt the a case lol

Ive heard an hdc3 15" before in a low tuned box and it sounded really sloppy. It got loud but no SQ whatsoever. It was probably the box. Its really more about the box/car/install and type of music he likes. Its less dependent on the sub.

well he listens to pretty much anything apart from country, jazz and rock music, so it would be tuned around 32-34. and this is gunna be crap showing him what people have said so far :(

Any body else ?? someone has got to of heard one with a decent amount of sq ?

A sub ive read good stuff about is the SSA Icon. It has great Sq and can get loud. Wont be as loud as the hdc3 but it wont disapoint. ;)

You won't find many people saying they produce decent sound. They're peaky subs that's just the way it is. If he wants something that sounds better he should keep looking

You won't find many people saying they produce decent sound. They're peaky subs that's just the way it is. If he wants something that sounds better he should keep looking

^ This.

The Hdc may sound good in the right box, with the right tuning. AQ recommends a 36 Hz tuning, IIRC.

On rap your friend will love it. But I'd rather get another sub.

Tell us his budget and the space available in his trunk.

A sub ive read good stuff about is the SSA Icon. It has great Sq and can get loud. Wont be as loud as the hdc3 but it wont disapoint. ;)

If I built a system to be loud and I went with 1 15" Icon on 1k I would be disappointed.

If I built a system to be loud and I went with 1 15" Icon on 1k I would be disappointed.

Everyone's version of loud is different, kind of a subjective word use to describe a sub.

Everyone's version of loud is different, kind of a subjective word use to describe a sub.

I'm sure people wont have a problem understanding what i'm getting at.

iv heard from a few different places that the hdc3 sounds really hallow and peaky. But it all depends on what your friend has had in the past and what he is looking for now. The SSA store offers quite a few brands so your options here arnt very limited

I'm sure people wont have a problem understanding what i'm getting at.

Actually they will if they arent a competitor or driving around with a system capable of 150+ db's.

The Hdc may sound good in the right box, with the right tuning. AQ recommends a 36 Hz tuning, IIRC.

On rap your friend will love it. But I'd rather get another sub.

Tell us his budget and the space available in his trunk.

So his budget for a sub is around 200-350 for something around the 1000-1500 rms mark. and trunk space is a wagon and iirc it has something like 12-13 cubic feet to work with ?

Dang I didnt know they sounded this bad. Always good to learn new stuff. Im sure there other subs with that budget you could get.

I'm guessing that's the total space in the cargo area or is that useable space he's willing to fill with a box? I'd get more cone area if he really does have that kinda room. A BL would be a good choice if he was wanting to stick to a single 15 although the BL would be at the higher end of his budget. If he's got room for the 18 he should go that route IMO or two less expensive 15s.

Did you try to find something used ? Could get great sub(s) for cheap.

I never had issues with my AQ subs. I had 2 15s in my car for over a year. I thought they sounded just fine as did the people who heard my system.

I never had issues with my AQ subs. I had 2 15s in my car for over a year. I thought they sounded just fine as did the people who heard my system.

Sounding "fine" to you does not mean they sound good...

Lol but it doesn't mean they sound bad either. I'd rather take the word of someone who owned and listened to them every day than someone who maybe heard them once.

Now, with that said I have heard a pair of HDC 15's and they have a VERY distinct sound. It's not a bad sound but if you're used to sq subs or subs that sound very neutral (Take my SA-12's for example) then they will sound funny to you. The best way I can describe it is FORCEFUL. They make a very violent bass lol, but it is at the sacrifice at some sq. They're more a close up your breathing passages and make your lungs feel funny type of sub.

1k can make wonders in the right car/enclosure/position of box/etc you know ;)

Lol but it doesn't mean they sound bad either. I'd rather take the word of someone who owned and listened to them every day than someone who maybe heard them once.

Now, with that said I have heard a pair of HDC 15's and they have a VERY distinct sound. It's not a bad sound but if you're used to sq subs or subs that sound very neutral (Take my SA-12's for example) then they will sound funny to you. The best way I can describe it is FORCEFUL. They make a very violent bass lol, but it is at the sacrifice at some sq. They're more a close up your breathing passages and make your lungs feel funny type of sub.

They sound like a DD 9500. Very peaky and kinda just slap the bass at you. They seem to play very sloppy.

Guy above is pretty on point. But if you like eyeball shaking throat tickling bass go for it. Theyre made to play way below tuning so dont tune too low. They can actually peak below tuning sometimes. I just think its an oddball sub that people give a bad rep cuz "They sound bad."