Sign in to follow this  
ford302redneck

Amp repair. Help?

Ok, so I'm very curious on learning about electronics, and repairing/diagnosing.

First, I want to get opinions on where do I need to start. I've read a pretty good bit of info so far, but seem I've limited to what I can learn without doing it. As I'm a more hands on type, only way I can learn and understand is if I do it. And or if I'm confused about something, having somebody connect the dots I'm missing, then it clicks and I understand.

So far I haven't found much on actually repairing car audio amps, most is just electronics in general. Which I guess is the same, just seems I get over my head easy because I don't know the basics yet.

Basically I'm looking for pointers/direction. I've seen the CD rom some guy sells, and read some info he's gave on a forum. Seems to really know his stuff, and eager to help anybody, which is good. So I've thought about buying it, but like to read some reviews or talk to somebody who has learned a lot from it.

I have a practice amp I guess I'm going to try and get to going. I've already started with the little info I do have. I've probably already messed it up, but way I see it, it was already broke and was of no use, so can't hurt it no more.

Any help would be great. Just trying to further my mind and something to keep me busy that I could possible make a few dollars.(Buying,fixing, then selling) but that's not that important, just rather pay for my audio habit.

I think it's a wonderful ambition. Depending on the depth of the repair, you'll likely need several specialty tools at your disposal. Dual input Oscilloscope, function generator, dummy load, a GOOD soldering station and supplies, a semiconductor handbook for component matching and cross reference come to mind right off the bat. There's more I'm sure, but at this point in time I can't think of it.

I dunno what you know about electronics in general, but some beginner courses would be good to get the basics down as there's quite a few different components to an amp and they all work differently and perform different jobs no doubt, but understanding how they work together will get you that much closer to being able to troubleshoot and repair an amp.

I think it's a wonderful ambition. Depending on the depth of the repair, you'll likely need several specialty tools at your disposal. Dual input Oscilloscope, function generator, dummy load, a GOOD soldering station and supplies, a semiconductor handbook for component matching and cross reference come to mind right off the bat. There's more I'm sure, but at this point in time I can't think of it.

I dunno what you know about electronics in general, but some beginner courses would be good to get the basics down as there's quite a few different components to an amp and they all work differently and perform different jobs no doubt, but understanding how they work together will get you that much closer to being able to troubleshoot and repair an amp.

As far as tools, I'm slowly getting the basics.

What all you listed is well over a thousand dollars, which is rather much to start off with. Just getting things in order which I'll need.

I have realized a good soldering station is important. I'm semi new to proper soldering(I just recently learned how to do it correctly).

I got access to a oscope, got a good buddy with one I'ma probably end up borrowing until I think its gone far enough for me to buy one.

Like I said, I want to make sure I can do this before wasting money on tools that I won't use.

As far as tools, I'm slowly getting the basics.

What all you listed is well over a thousand dollars, which is rather much to start off with. Just getting things in order which I'll need.

I have realized a good soldering station is important. I'm semi new to proper soldering(I just recently learned how to do it correctly).

I got access to a oscope, got a good buddy with one I'ma probably end up borrowing until I think its gone far enough for me to buy one.

Like I said, I want to make sure I can do this before wasting money on tools that I won't use.

lol... I kinda figured you'd get the tools as you go, just wanted you to have a good list to go by... :D

As much information that's available on the interwebz, you'll likely not need to buy a book for cross reference and there should be some good tutorials available around the web as well on amplifier basics like theory, operation, design, etc... I got the utmost confidence you'll be able to do it!!! :drink40:

Having some sort of degree in Basic Electronics / Broadband Communications would help ... :drink40:

Having some sort of degree in Basic Electronics / Broadband Communications would help ... :drink40:

Of course, but so far I want this to be a hobby, not a career, so I don't think I need to go that far. I believe I can learn a good bit on my own, just finding the info I can learn from is the hard part.

If that was all I needed to know I'd be set. That's what got me started really, and his DVD is what I was talking about buying. His website already has a bunch of good info, figured the DVD had to be worth the money.

Figured you read through the website. The DVD would be a great start. Perry knows his shit and is more than happy to help.

I think I'm going to try and fix my MTX and get as far along as I can before I buy the DVD. Guess semi like a last resort, if I can't learn on my own, I'll try that, and if I fail, maybe rethink if I can do it or not.

I know where a Memphis 4kw is broke, I'm about to die to buy it, but need to hold up until I'm sure I can fix it.

Also, I need a good soldering before I actually try taking apart another amp. The one I got just doesn't do the job, and I've already messed up a few eyelets(I researched repairing them, and those kits are outrageous to say the least.)