gentlejax

1 sundown SA8 enough?

I am not a basshead but do like to crank it a little for fun. car currently has no system in it but I got all the stuff except the sub(s) . I was going to try IB on the rear deck but I just dont like whats out there so I have decided to try to get the most bass out of the least amount of space.

after I saw some little DD 6inch subs at local shop I decided to try maybe 8's .

would 1 SA-8 be enough? I think all the reviews show people with multiple SA-8

I really need more time to research all this stuff. I didnt realize these were that cheap

Comes down to listening preferences and amplifier power. Personally I would go with a pair of 8" SA-8.

I am not a basshead but do like to crank it a little for fun. car currently has no system in it but I got all the stuff except the sub(s) . I was going to try IB on the rear deck but I just dont like whats out there so I have decided to try to get the most bass out of the least amount of space.

after I saw some little DD 6inch subs at local shop I decided to try maybe 8's .

I really need more time to research all this stuff. I didnt realize these were that cheap

Not at all. No way no how. Small Sd drivers and IB are not a good idea if you ever turn it up at all. Heck not a good idea if you just listen normally. You are going to need more cone area.

If you are willing to do a box, why not a single 10? Most likely it won't take up anymore space and will have significantly more capability.

I think I have to agree with //M5 here. For the average person, a 10" will do what most people want, especially in a trunk. From all the reviews everyone gives, something like a DCON 10 sounds like a great option, small enclosure size (1-1.25 ported), good sound quality. Just my 2 cents.

1 sa 8 will do wonders i don't care what anyone says check out the many youtube vids with 1 sa 8 and see for yourself

1 sa 8 will do wonders i don't care what anyone says check out the many youtube vids with 1 sa 8 and see for yourself

umm bro a youtube video is not something to base a decision on.

how much space are you willing to give up?

Edited by trod2902

I actually ordered an SA-8 for myself. As soon as it comes in I'll give my opinions. Just knowing the average person (I worked at a shop for a long time so I saw what people wanted a lot) a single 10" or 12" gives the all around sound, output, and impact most people crave. I am going the SA-8 in mine only because it's a center console enclosure, so it's right there near me so the impact will be more. Admittedly though, I have yet to hear the SA-8 so I can't say for sure it wouldn't be enough for him.

Show me a video of an SA-8 mounted IB doing wonders. And no, not some stupid useless excursion video.

By no means am I knocking the driver, but in general 8" subs don't usually make a lot of sense. A 10" takes nearly only the same space sealed or ported and has a huge cone advantage. There is no SQ disadvantage either and in fact a larger driver in general will do better at the same output levels as it doesn't have to move as much to make the same output. IMO it is a VERY rare application where the 8 is a better choice and this gets even more so when you are talking about a single driver. Obviously it is space that defines this, but again its a miniscule difference.

In your first post you stated that you have everything but the sub/subs, so what power do you have to work with??? That would help also with the suggestions on your sub stage.

First off there is some confusion here.

I WAS going to do IB but as I stated I DIDNT LIKE my choices.

So I had decided to see if there was an 8 that could run like a 10 to save space.

I only have 400 watts right now but that will change.

I was going to run a 5 channel Boston GT 5750 amp.

But that will be temp most likely

I will look for some cheap 10's that don't need lot of power.

Installed a pair of Polk in my buddies car and it's pretty good considering we paid $100 pair

Show me a video of an SA-8 mounted IB doing wonders. And no, not some stupid useless excursion video.

By no means am I knocking the driver, but in general 8" subs don't usually make a lot of sense. A 10" takes nearly only the same space sealed or ported and has a huge cone advantage. There is no SQ disadvantage either and in fact a larger driver in general will do better at the same output levels as it doesn't have to move as much to make the same output. IMO it is a VERY rare application where the 8 is a better choice and this gets even more so when you are talking about a single driver. Obviously it is space that defines this, but again its a miniscule difference.

all im stating is the fact that 1 sa 8 alone will pound it's up to him and the enclosure to take advantage of the little beast' i have 1 and i know what it will do

all im stating is the fact that 1 sa 8 alone will pound it's up to him and the enclosure to take advantage of the little beast' i have 1 and i know what it will do

It's not so much that the 8" will have poor output relatively speaking, it's that a 10" can be used in a box that isn't all that much bigger and will give more output.

It's not so much that the 8" will have poor output relatively speaking, it's that a 10" can be used in a box that isn't all that much bigger and will give more output.

i can understand that it's just so much cooler when you tell people it's 1 8

to get it loud enough you will probally need to port it. when you build really small ported enclosure most of the enclosure space and volume it taken up by the port since it will be so long. youll probally take up less gross space running a larger 10 or 12 sealed. to run ib you would need as much cone area as u and your rear deck ect can afford since u are relying so much on sd to create output

check out the DCON 10, I got one and am amazed at how loud it gets off of little power and it also sounds great! I also have a SA-8 but i havnt heard it yet

Edited by bcst86

check out the DCON 10, I got one and am amazed at how loud it gets off of little power and it also sounds great! I also have a SA-8 but i havnt heard it yet

:fing34: Affordable, well built, sound great!!

i was able to borrow an SA-8 from a friend of mine to test it out, to me, 1 SA 8 is enough and sometimes more than i even need... its in a ported box tuned low, just not sure at what frequency, early 30's to mid 30's i guess...

sounds good to me, tunable also the way i like it.

Why do you guys keep talking IB when I said 2x I am no longer doing that

didn't see that.

Sorry.

I heard you the first time. If you like the single 8 idea, go for it!!

I say pick whichever you feel most comfortable with giving your money too so when you have it playing you dont wish you woulda picked your other option whatever that is. In my opinion its all about what vehicle it will be in, iv seen 1 sa-8 in a crx off of 3k doing 151.2 db, Im sure you wont be disappointed. Also theres the option of doing a sa-10 with some aero ports to minimize box size