altoncustomtech

Why you should just HIT the damn DEER

Well, my little brother has done it again. He managed to flip and roll his car this time though. On his way to my house last night to pick up his dog that we were doggy sitting for him after closing and getting off work and going by the good 'ol Wally World to grab a few things he turned onto a gravel road swerved to miss a few deer and managed to do this only a couple of miles from my house. Luckily he wasn't injured any worse than a bump on the head and he'll have some nice bruises to show for it. The car came to rest on the driver's side and he crawled out the opening for the rear window and called me. I rushed immediately to him and when I was satisfied he wasn't seriously injured we used the Jimmy to lower the car back onto all 4 tires while the authorities were in route. Once the paramedics gave their OK that he was alright he was actually able to drive the car back to my place, and NO he does not have full coverage insurance. I wish I could have had the frame of mind to think of grabbing pictures last night, but I think the pics I got this morning show just how lucky he is to have walked away from it without even a cut from the broken window. Also the fairly remote location of the accident would have been very bad for him if he had been seriously injured since in the ~3hrs it took for all that to take place not ONE single vehicle passed the area. He could have well been there until this morning had he been unable to call me. Anyway, onto the aftermath pics, so much for this 2008 GP.

0726010821.jpg

0726010821a.jpg

0726010821b.jpg

0726010822.jpg

0726010822a.jpg

Wow that's lucky hope everything is ok.

Edited by jyizzle1000

Glad your brother is ok. That is some serious damage to the vehicle!

Looks from the pics that you live in a beautifull area, but I'm guessing it is somewhat remote.

Sux about the car, but at least your brother is ok!

glad your bro is ok..... :fing34:

dude i always thought when ppl said I hit a deer was just another saying I crashed not that they actually hit a deer!

They really do freeze in headlights. Its pretty stupid that they have no reflex to get out the way.

Could have been much worse though so good thing hes not hurt. I guess that SSD 18" is gonna have to wait now :shrug:

You can buy another car, but you can't another brother.

Glad he is alright.

Glad he is ok!

Good to hear he is safe. Shame about the car. It did not seem to fair very well.

Glad he is ok i no how it is up here and yes we do just hit the damn deer far less damage

as for the car well im sure it will buff right out

Glad he was not hurt, looks like it could have been very bad. I don't swerve for anything smaller than a horse unless there's plenty of room and it is quite safe to do so (like another lane that is empty). The deer would have caused much less damage, he should have just slowed down and took them out. A little cosmetic damage to the grill, bumper, hood, fenders is always much better than taking the chance of flying off the road and tearing up something mechanical along with the cosmetic damage that is likely to be caused buy leaving the roadway (not to mention the most important factor, YOU). It seems like your little brother is lacking a bit in the common sense department when behind the wheel. At 1 AM in the fog and on a gravel road, he should have been driving slow enough to plow into the deer and not cause much, if any damage anyway. Maybe someone should take his Ls for a while for his own safety.

Holy crap, your corn is tall! Glad he's okay, that is spooky when it happens.

Looks like the car did it's job in protecting him at least. Glad that he is safe and able to walk/drive away from it.

Thanks guys he'll appreciate all the moral support... He drives me absolutely insane most of the time, but I still love him, he's my brother. I was actually surprised the car fared as well as it did. I was fully expecting to come up on him being bloodied and the car a complete mess when he called. The fact we were able to put it back on it's tires and him drive it away was nothing short of a miracle. When I stepped it off last night there was about 60-70ft of distance between where he hit the ditch and where the car came to rest and most of the ground between those two points was untouched. He thought he was going about 50MPH when he swerved and I would about agree with that, especially since the distance between where he swerved and wrecked and the road he turned off of was only about long enough to have reached that speed. 50MPH was still WAY too fast though.

@ sefugi - Thanks, it's not a bad area to live at all and it's just about right on being remote. It's far enough away that there's not much I could ever do to disturb any of the neighbors but it's only ~10 minutes either direction to a city big enough to consider it civilization, lol.

@trod - Yeah, the 18 is the least of his worries now. Though one evil little thought I had is that it would be a perfect competition vehicle now as who the hell would care what the hell happens to it building walls and shit, not like it can be damaged a whole lot more doing that sort of stuff.

Sucks about the accident, but coming from someone who has actually hit a deer doing 50, its just as dangerous. I was driving 99 Tahoe and the deer ended up in the back seat. I could see a decent sized buck taking out that entire cabin with that car sitting so low. Hopefully he'll slow down.

as much as the car is destroyed, it did save his life. says something about the design of it.

thank god he did walk away from it though, life throws some crazy stuff at us all at times. Hopefully he'll be able to get it all figured out soon.

good ole indiana for ya..

almost hit 2 deer on my way to vincennes smh..

events like this almost make u want to buy those deer whistles

On your way to Vincennes? When were you heading this way?

Oh, and BTW...

Took it to one of the best body repair guys I know this evening. First of all he was surprised we drove it in there after I had told him what happened on the phone. Second he looked it over and said it was definitely a total loss. He was partially hopeful while looking around the outside of it, then he popped the hood. Under the hood he found damage I had previously missed. The driver's side shock tower was BUCKLED, yes buckled. When he found that he slid under the front of the car and found the sub frame twisted, lifted, and screwed completely up along with the locations it mounts to the uni-body. Further inspection found the engine/transmission slightly tilted due to the sub frame damage as well.

Funniest part about it was that we drove it ~15 miles to the guys house then around town taking it to show our uncle, his employer, and our sister. All the while with no real problems driving it AND everything such as the AC still working, LOL. Who would ever have figured it?

So the hunt for replacement is on. The body repair guy is going to make some calls and see what we may be able to get out of it from some salvage guys he knows.

It was a party down there lol..

was an accident on the main road so decided to take a side street..

saw one deer go in front of me and while looking at that one another one just missed the front of my truck smh

went to turn around and got stuck in the grass like a ft from the rd.

80$ and 3 hrs later a tow truck can and got me out.

I fixed my 4 wheel drive the next day lol.

could try to sell it on ebay depending on how much he still owes on it.

Glad your brother is ok. I've seen quite a few deer on the way to work lately. Saw a HUGE one this past weekend.

Here's what happens with you DO hit the deer:

100_1667.jpg

100_1669.jpg

Glad he is alright

Holy crap, your corn is tall!<-- :lol2: I did not even pay any attention to the corn until I red this that looked again. Corn is really tall for july

You can buy another car, but you can't another brother.

Glad he is alright.

I can be your brother, I charge 5000 dollars a month flat rate, extra if you want me to do activities with you , I also require Room and Board.

On a serious not glad he's fine, too bad about not having full coverage though....

It was a party down there lol..

was an accident on the main road so decided to take a side street..

saw one deer go in front of me and while looking at that one another one just missed the front of my truck smh

went to turn around and got stuck in the grass like a ft from the rd.

80$ and 3 hrs later a tow truck can and got me out.

I fixed my 4 wheel drive the next day lol.

could try to sell it on ebay depending on how much he still owes on it.

Damn, wish I had known, I would have pulled you out and saved you the $$$$$. Let me know the next time you plan on coming down.

Hadn't thought about EBAY, good thing he doesn't owe anything on it at all. Speaking of EBAY, anyone interested in buying an Ultralight?

Thanks again guys, he appreciates all the support. He's surprisingly got very few bruises to show for it either, though he says he feels like he's gone through about a 6 man beat down on how he feels sore all over.

Dan, the damage on that truck sucks for sure, but I'm sure my lil bro would rather have a front end like that than the totaled mess he has right now, LOL.

Yeah, the corn is doing very well around the house there. Good strong stand should make quite a few bushel.