Sign in to follow this  
Ryan916

My Camry's slow build begins...

Hey Everyone,

I've been reading this forums for a while and only recently created an account to start posting. This has become my favorite car audio site, especially since it has a great interface for my phone at work ;)

Anyways, here's the first car I bought, a 96 v6 Camry xle, and it is time to start it's journey in car audio. It will be a long one as I like to save for a while and buy bigger after learning my lesson going cheap and regretting/wanting more. I won't post my plans for the car as they change somewhat every time i sit down and put some thought to it. I'll mainly be updating as parts show up on my doorstep, past the point of no return for me haha.

Heres my baby, my commuter

IMAG0169-1.jpg

For the meantime I'll be working with the sub stage, reluctantly. I popped some factory speakers so i threw in some afforable jvc coax 6 1/2's and 3 way 6x9's. I have a kenwood deck that I'm like for now. I ordered my sub which will be coming in within the very near future and snagged an awesome amp this past weekend. Here's a few shots of the amp

IMAG0168.jpg

IMAG0167.jpg

IMAG0162.jpg

IMAG0163.jpg

Can't seem to get that pic to stay rotated...

Maybe later I'll take a pick of it sitting in the trunk in the dark with all the lights on, its really a beautiful amp, can't wait to see how much she puts out

Anyways that's it for the meantime, sorry there isn't any major installs going in yet, but there will be in due time as I save up.

The next bump will be the unboxing of my sub. Hint, it's rated at just about the same as the output the amp at 2 ohms

Zcon :peepwall:

Ha, that was quick. Yep, I ordered a d1 12. I have a few practice boxes made of Styrofoam sitting in the garage. I want to have it fire into the cabin sealed off from the trunk, but I'll see how it sounds in all different configurations back there and make the best decision.

will be watching.... :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Will be watching this one!! :popcorn:

Your baby has a mustache! :peepwall:

Haha she isn't looking or feeling her best without a good system right now!

as a fellow Ryan and fellow Camry owner, I'll be watching

:eek5wavey:

One heck of an amplifier.

Haha the mustache! Beautiful amp you have there. Ive seen one perform and i was impressed. Good luck with the build.

GEN 3 CAMRY FTW!!! i have a 94 Camry Wagon. these cars NEVER die. 380,000 miles and counting. :D

cant wait to see this come together!

upgrading electrical ?

also, are ou on TN? (toyotanation.com)? if not, you should. they have awesome info on our gen3's and everyone is very chill as they are here.

:morepower1:

Yea man I love my camry gen 3. I currently have 180k on it right now feels new. Yea I'm working on it right now -- just picked up all the wire i need and trying soldered terminals for the first time, putting in the big 3 and an xs power batt or two next week, hopefully a mechman before the end of august :)

Have taken a lot of pics so far ill post them all at once when I do some more with next weeks.paycheck ha

Will be waiting!!! :popcorn:

This is called a slow build for a reason ;)

Anyways my current plan is..

Alt: http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/catalog.php?item=450 qp320a. Dc doesn't have an alt for my car and mechman 220 is $550. Seems like the.best route to me.

Batts: super start deka intimidators relabeled at oreileys. Friend works here so I got a good deal. Just going to see how a g34 up front and Ho alt do for a while and toss g31 on back as needed. Big 3 is.already done may need to pick up some more wire for amp though. Im using some scorpion ofc I got for a good price. One shop by me wanted $11per foot for 1/0 haha

Front stage: this will take a while but those bravox 3 way components seem really cool on the ssa store but out of stock. I don't really have any major plans for this until I secure my electrical and substage.

Bin playing around with a lot of box designs but haven't stuck yet. Plan to tune low for some nice daily pounding.

Thanks all pics to come eventually

This is called a slow build for a reason ;)

Anyways my current plan is..

Alt: http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/catalog.php?item=450 qp320a. Dc doesn't have an alt for my car and mechman 220 is $550. Seems like the.best route to me.

Batts: super start deka intimidators relabeled at oreileys. Friend works here so I got a good deal. Just going to see how a g34 up front and Ho alt do for a while and toss g31 on back as needed. Big 3 is.already done may need to pick up some more wire for amp though. Im using some scorpion ofc I got for a good price. One shop by me wanted $11per foot for 1/0 haha

Front stage: this will take a while but those bravox 3 way components seem really cool on the ssa store but out of stock. I don't really have any major plans for this until I secure my electrical and substage.

Bin playing around with a lot of box designs but haven't stuck yet. Plan to tune low for some nice daily pounding.

Thanks all pics to come eventually

No rush here...

PM S.DeYoung for info on a set of those.

LOL....I feel ya on the slow build bro :sleepwerd4: I catch hell over mine weekly but it's gotta be the way ya want it to be :drink40:

Ok guys I have a bunch of pics taken over the last month so here's september's progress!

Started off with electrical upgrades...

My wire, Xscorpion ofc

IMAG0179.jpg

My new favorite wire cutting tool... until I have to get a new blade ;)

IMAG0189.jpg

My upgraded grounds vs old

IMAG0190.jpg

Here's the old.. new big3.. Since this picture I have a dropped a d3400 i picked up from Steve Meade's shop and heatshrunk all the wiring instead of taped... ha

IMAG0192.jpg

I just got my new Alt, 320a from Quality powers, Going to drop it in tomorrow, pretty excited for that!

IMAG0295.jpg

IMAG0296.jpg

I was rear ended at a stop light by a lady texting so that was a little speed bump during this month... That minor damage came quite close to totalling my car... smh

IMAG0239.jpg

Bought my front stage from SDeYoung off here, can't wait to get installing this setup in my doors!

IMAG0247.jpg

IMAG0248.jpg

They will be powered by a MTX te404 bridged to two channels

The beautiful ZCON came and arrived at my workplace, Of course I was showing off the SSA to all my coworkers ;)

IMAG0252.jpg

IMAG0253.jpg

This past weekend I began the box building finally! Have had a lot of fun with it considering it is my first box. I had a lot of planning around some tight requirement I wanted it to meet. First i wanted it tuned low, 30-31 hz and The overall height could only be 13" to fire into my cabin sealed off from the trunk. I have this arch that spans the cutout of my trunk pass through so it would cover part of a slot port. I bought some 4" aero's to deal with that. I used this calculator http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31 which gave me a minimum of 50 sqin's so 4 4" ports worked perfectly. Fitting those four fours and a 12 in a box 13" high was a bit difficult and I know i broke some rules on this box, but here it is... about 3.2x ish net tuned between 31-32 hz.

Can't make straight cuts without a 50lb kettlebell right? ;)

IMAG0268.jpg

IMAG0269.jpg

IMAG0270.jpg

Tight fit, but made it!

IMAG0271.jpg

Wish I had a router for all these circle, burned through a nice blade on my jig

IMAG0274.jpg

IMAG0277.jpg

Phew, it fits!

IMAG0278.jpg

Put some coves in

IMAG0285.jpg

Little bedliner front finish, cheap but I like it

IMAG0286.jpg

IMAG0287.jpg

Here's where things get a little funky, but I had fun with it. Little different but my port were hard to tune for my space, but i pulled it off.... haha

IMAG0289.jpg

IMAG0290.jpg

IMAG0291.jpg

I just put the bolt terminals in the back plate last night, might finish it up tonight after classes, f night classes ha cant get much work done. Probably will finish the box up tomorrow after work. I'd love to drop the alt in too!

Thanks for reading though all these guys, I've had a lot of fun with my first box so far, I'm very interested to see how it sounds! :woot:

Edited by Ryan916

:woot: looking good man! Great box for first time.

I know how it is with our cars... one little fender could be considered a total loss. Glad your okay.

Can't wait to see how that alt does. May I ask how much it ran you?

looking really good!!

I know I was shocked when the appraisor said anymore damages found would probably total it... As far as the alternator, it is rated at 180 at idle and full output around 1500-1800 rpm. The alt ran me 435.

Awesome I'm excited to see a 12" ZCON.