tysonm

Want to upgrade from a 12" to two 12"

So far all the subwoofers I have had were, two 10" Memphis Power References (250 rms each), two 10" Pioneer Premiers (400 rms each), single 12" Cadence TX12 (450 rms i think), and now I have a single 12" RD Alpha V.2 (1500 rms). The 12" hit lows a lot better than the 10's, but the dual 10's seem to give off a more bass and everyone that heard my subs say that with my memphis' they could hear me way down the road where all my other woofers you couldn't. I don't know if that necessarily means that the memphis were the loudest, but anyways I just wanted to get some opinions on subs.

Here is what I'm looking for, right now I have stock electrical so the RD Alpha can really make my lights dim if I have the bass turned up (right now it's on -9) it's in a 2.3 cu. box tuned at 33hz, I will probably keep my Cadence ZRS-8 amp which does 750rms @ 2 ohm, 1500rms @ 1 ohm. I want two 12" subs that are either SQ or """SQL""", I know some don't believe there to be """SQL""" and there are some that do, but I just want something that can take up to 1500-2000 rms. I listen to a wide variety of music, rap, alternative, rock, screamo, techno, and some heavy metal. I like ported boxes the best and want subs that will get good and loud and still sound clean. If you need anymore info to make me let me know.

Here are a few video's of my previous setups:

Two 10" Premiers:

Cadence TX12 single 12":

RD Alpha V.2 single 12":

Budget?

First tip would be to not turn your deck up to 62. You should never go to max volume because the signal will be clipped.

Edited by ricksi30

Ssa icon would be damn good. Sq is superb and still pack a punch.

Budget?

Sorry I totally forgot to put my budget. I would like to spend maybe around $250 per sub.

First tip would be to not turn your deck up to 62. You should never go to max volume because the signal will be clipped.

I am aware of the clipping issue, but for the video I turned it up to 62 just to let people see what it was capable of, other than that though I never turned it up that high.

Icons would be sweet and right around your budget.

How much room would the box for two 12" Icons take up though? Some of the box's they have them in on Youtube are HUGE! haha, I would want them to BUMP! but how much room would a good box take up?

How much room do you have? Can you find your net volume?

Two Fi SSD's would take 1500-2000 RMS watts total nicely, plus they are just under $200 per sub.. + shipping. Only problem would be the amount of space you would need for a ported box. You'd need at least 3.5 feet cubed for the 12's, or you could get the 10's and throw them in a box that's 2.3 cubes, just tune the box low and you'll get your low notes.

Edited by Freshh

sundown sa-12's http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/store/products/Sundown-Audio-SA%252d12.html

skar vvx 12's http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/store/products/SKAR-Audio-VVX%252d12%22-Sub-Woofer.html

lanzar opti1233d can take 3000wrms each http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RJPYMM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

sundown and skar are under rated wrms but can take what you can through at them here's some vids of all of the subs i listed

sundown sa-12-

skar vvx-12-

lanzar opti1233d-

so you decide

Edited by backyardbass97

I don't believe the sa12s or skars are up to par with ssa icons as far as SQ goes.

I don't believe the sa12s or skars are up to par with ssa icons as far as SQ goes.

This. Although I don't know about the SA's but the Skars sounded like butt to me, no where near what my ICON sounds like.

Would the SSD's have comparable SQ? The SSD's sound great, but ive never heard an icon to compare.

First of all you really shouldn't be using youtube in any way to aid in your decision. It will only mislead you.

I agree with Stefan as well. The SA series and the VVX weren't designed with sound quality in mind. You might hear that they sound fine to some, but that is subjective. They are a little peaky compared to an Icon or even an SSD. That is actually desirable if you have SPL in mind and they're certainly not overly peaky. I'm not trying to put those drivers down whatsoever, just saying they are more SPL oriented. For what you want I'd wait for either the Icon to come back or get an SSD.

Edited by Luke.H

This. Although I don't know about the SA's but the Skars sounded like butt to me, no where near what my ICON sounds like.

Haven't heard any skars, SAs sounded good to me, but the icons I had were just on another level (sq).

Would the SSD's have comparable SQ? The SSD's sound great, but ive never heard an icon to compare.

I haven't heard any ssds but I think they would be more comparable to the icons in the sq realm.

How much room do you have? Can you find your net volume?

I guess this should have been the first thing I posted so you guys know what type of room I have to work with. I will get these measurements today.

The current box I have is 28"L x 14.5" W x 14.75"H

The way my trunk is designed is kinda weird so these measurements I think would be the best to let you know what TOTAL space I have and this would take up most of my trunk.

These measurements are for a wider/shorter (height wise) box:

43.5"L x 27.5"W x 15"H

I don't see an "Edit" button for my last post or else I would have posted this question there, but anyways, if I want to run dual 12" subs to get a 1 ohm load (since my amp is 1500 rms @ 1ohm), wouldn't I need to get D2 subs?

If you have have 2 DVC 2ohm you can wire them at .5 (not recommended), or 4ohm, or 8ohm.

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp?Q=2&I=22#results

If you have 2 DVC 4ohm you can run at 1ohm, or 4ohm.

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp?Q=2&I=42#results

So if a 1ohm load is your goal you would want to go with 2 D4's. They have pics of the different setups in those links.

the skars where probably in a bad box. i have 2 skars and they sound pretty good to me and everyone else that heres them. there not a sq sub but they sound good in a good box.

A pair of Dual 1s can be wired down to a 1ohm load as well.

the skars where probably in a bad box. i have 2 skars and they sound pretty good to me and everyone else that heres them. there not a sq sub but they sound good in a good box.

It wasn't in a bad box. The box it was in ended up having a QTC of .75, which it should have sounded beautiful in, but it didn't. I have used other drivers in a similar aligned box that have all had a better sound to them. I do not care for their sound and do not sound good to me at all.