Colbyjack

Wiring xs power cell and capacitor?

First off what is already done:

130amp alternator

Yellow top optima 55ah

Big 3

1.5 digi cap (bought this a while back before I knew very much about car audio)

SAZ-1500D

JL 13w7 (for sale if anybody wants it)

Planning on two SA-12's when the JL sells

My question is, I have an XS power D975 (2100amps max, 35ah) on the way, now should I just scrap the cap and just go with the power cell, or should I go ahead and just add the power cell to my setup? I have searched all over the web and every car audio forum I can think of, as well as YouTube, to try and find an info on how to wire a second battery with a capacitor as well. It's all either one or the other, can't seem to find one showing how to properly wire both. Well there is one on YouTube, but I'm not relying on that one video, it's kinda sketch. Anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated!

get rid of the cap, if you really want.. i mean really want to utilize it wire it as you would normally, plus to plus, negative to negative

honestly, i would do the following-

Get rid of the capacitor.

Sell your optima and replace it with that XS batt.

Then.. purchase another xs batt, let's say D1200 and put that in the back, or a Deka 9A31, or a Kinetik HC1800 or higher.

Do not mix optima and xs together..

That's why I was wondering if the cap in between the two would act as an isolator of sorts between the optima and xs. But I kinda figured I would be getting mostly responses of "get rid of the cap". Mixing a Kinetik and XS is ok? Just not an XS or Kinetik with an optima?

Edited by Colbyjack

hmm.. i'm gonna go out on a limb and say deka, kinetik, power surge, odyssey, xs power and any other 12v agm battery that is built for car audio use "MIGHT" be ok to run together....

the problem is using different technologies and capacity in the mix.

Now, all the batts above may use the same technology, but in tests, they are far different in performance!

And even then.. different capacities play a part too...

I wouldn't do it personally ever..

If there would be a problem, it would take a couple years or more to see it arise unless you are very careless and never check your voltage every once in a while.

The optima is a 12v AGM. I understand the concept of not mixing the brands due too performance variations, but isn't that true of the same brands and same models as well? Just like two amps will always bench test a little different in output capacity even when they are the same models, but when strapped they are ok. I just hadn't heard to not use an XS, Kinetik, etc.. near my amp while using an optima in the front.

I guess what im trying to say is I see competitor setups all the time where they'll have say an hc1400 up front and two xs d3100's in the back. Or some other variation of one version of an AGM up front while having a different AGM brand in the back, that are rated at different capacities. I'm just curious as to why the optima wouldnt be a good choice to run up front with an XS in the back, I mean optima has a pretty good rep I thought. I may be way off base with that assumption though. And I'm not trying to be difficult, I would just like a better understanding of it.

optima is in it's own class really...

Optima eh... the end.

optima is in it's own class really...

Optima eh... the end.

Didn't really clear anything up for me, but alright Thank you for your advice.

get rid of the cap, if you really want.. i mean really want to utilize it wire it as you would normally, plus to plus, negative to negative

I know how to wire the two batts together(+ to + fused about 12" from batts on both ends, - to chassis) but where would the cap go, assuming I'm not going to get rid of the cap all together? Would it be between the front and rear batt, or between the rear batt and the amp? If it's between the two batts do you need to put a fuse between the cap and rear batt?

I am curious as to what causes you to say that.

I know how to wire the two batts together(+ to + fused about 12" from batts on both ends, - to chassis) but where would the cap go, assuming I'm not going to get rid of the cap all together? Would it be between the front and rear batt, or between the rear batt and the amp? If it's between the two batts do you need to put a fuse between the cap and rear batt?

I would (already did in my past) ditch the cap. and just run batteries. BUT if you do want to keep it I don't think it would matter where it is, but i would put it after all the batteries before the amp. Without a fuse before/after it. I believe it's too small to worry about fusing around it. They really are SUPER tiny compared to even a small battery.

Noting wrong with optima and XS in same install they are both 12v AGM. Parallel your batteries together if you want to keep the cap put it as close to your amp as possible.

Edited by crunkjuice1

the jl is a great sub you already have it just keep it. Y sell it. You spent the cash on it just change the box out or something.

I actually got the JL for really cheap too. Bought it off CL and the guy I got it from thought it was the 12. He was selling it cheap for a 12w7 too, so I made out like I stole it. Thing is I didn't even realise it was the 13 either until I was cutting out the box on a cnc router, and thought to myself, that opening for the sub looks really small. So I call my wife and had her read off what it said on the side of the sub to me. Ummm, 13w7 D1.5. I wa pretty stoked to say the least thinking I got a good deal on a 12. That did explain however, why it dwarfed my RF HX2 12" sitting right next to it! I do like the sub, but I just want to change it up a bit. It sounds great, but it's not as tight sounding as I would like. Which I know I can fix by changing the box, but I would rather get a couple of SA-12's. I just really want to give them a shot and see what I can do with them. Thanks for the input. I didn't think I was crazy thinking an XS would be fine in the back with an optima up front.

The only reason I was thinking about keeping the cap is one, I already have it, and two I Iike having the digi display to read my voltage. What does one of the dash mount voltage displays run? Haven't looked into those yet.

I have yet to see or hear where optima actually lasts in someone's vehicle that is into car audio.

Also, I believe the charging requirements for optima is stricter than xs so if he ever got a high output alt that charged closed to 15v, that could be another problem.

I have yet to see or hear where optima actually lasts in someone's vehicle that is into car audio.

Also, I believe the charging requirements for optima is stricter than xs so if he ever got a high output alt that charged closed to 15v, that could be another problem.

So it wasn't about mixing, just not getting an optima? :)

This comes from optimas website:

Alternator:

13.65 to 15.0 volts, no amperage limit.

D34/78

These batteries are dual-purpose. They are designed for engine start and cyclic applications and for use in vehicles with large accessory loads.

Looks like I'll be fine with the optima up front. I wanted to get a power cell for the back because when I turn it up beyond normal listening levels, to say demo its higher end capabilities, that's when I'll have a voltage drop. Day to day listening on it, even with the usually once a day demo level volumes, isn't an issue. I'm just trying to add all the pieces one at a time to a much more comp style setup. Gotta see what I can put together, and possibly try to join some comps in the near future. Taking it one step at a time. Family budget comes before system budget nowadays.

ok, well looks like charging voltage isn't an issue.. but i'm tellin you, i know some people personally and have read many many times where optimas are not very reliable.

And performance wise.. optima isn't top notch but that wouldn't mean anything to you in your scenario.

So i guess i can say this..

Keep the optima but have some spare money set aside for when you need a new battery.

ok, well looks like charging voltage isn't an issue.. but i'm tellin you, i know some people personally and have read many many times where optimas are not very reliable.

And performance wise.. optima isn't top notch but that wouldn't mean anything to you in your scenario.

Keep the optima but have some spare money set aside for when you need a new battery.

It is ok to be a bit wrong. Look at it this way, M5 was pleasant to you, anybody else would have been an idiot, hahaha!

Well I've had it for about a year and a half now, and I got it from a friend who had it for about eight months before all his gear was stolen. I charged it once about two months ago, more or less as a refresher, but I've had nothing but good things to say about it. I am not trying to pursuade your opinion one way or another, but you can now say you have heard some bad stories about optimas, and one good one!

lol... i guess i can..

And as long as you don't charge the batteries at 15v for more than five minutes they will be fine.

(all you XSpower battery owners should know this going off the bright orange paper that comes with your batteries)

and there's a lot to learn then if you think that's the limit...

Just like anything else, it's how you charge them, there is no one specific limit.