AllenH427

*Pic inside* Ripped roof, help please

Fi produces a great product, we all know, but them breaking crap in my car is annoying. Well it's officially gone too far now and I'm slightly mad.

IMG00098-20110802-1112.jpg

How should I fix/prevent this from spreading further.

Song used was Decaf's Red Chain, destroys the lows, as seen in the pic.

Other than welding it, maybe JB Weld.

Drill a hole at the end of the crack to stop it from spreading.

i guess good news is you didn't download my music, lol...

Looks like just a paint/filler crack. Are you sure it's the sheet metal?

Im with Tirefryr, looks almost or alot like a paint chip or crack, not so much a sheet metal crack.

The sheet metal is torn completely, trust me on this one.

Edited by AllenH427

Let's see the underside.

JB weld. Tape off the paint and get a syringe to inject it. Thats what boat forums suggest on hull voids with epoxy

Let's see the underside.

If it was paint, do you think I would of made a thread on how to fix paint? :WTFBubble:

Edited by AllenH427

JB weld. Tape off the paint and get a syringe to inject it. Thats what boat forums suggest on hull voids with epoxy

So JB weld and what kind of epoxy? Do you think it will prevent further rips?

Let's see the underside.

If it was paint, do you think I would of made a thread on how to fix paint? :WTFBubble:

NO idea, I just want to see the damage. Growing up in a body shop, I find things like this interesting. Given the structure of the metal is all underneath, I want to see it. JB weld will do nothing. Your only option is to weld.

If you don't make a hole at the end of the crack, it'll likely continue to spread... At least in my experience. Not sure about fixing the rest cosmetically, sheet metal is extremely thin and not sure how difficult welding and sanding down would be, possibly filling with the epoxy, sanding, and repainting area.

Sheet metal is a bitch. It's all about heat control. You always get warpage, but it's extremely difficult in an area like that around the curve and in a structural area around the moonroof. If you don't know how to shrink and stretch metal, take it to a body shop.

agreed with the hole..

But i can see how it would be weaker because of the sunroof..

weld it.

sand it.

paint it

dont turn up ur radio

Dang, bummer guy. There's no real DIY fix for this one, unless your a body shop man. On the temporary side of fixes, seal that bish with some silicone to keep the water out. If you want to keep the crack from propagating more your gonna have to do as Stefanhinote said a drill a hole at the end. The real fix is taking it to a good body shop and having them weld it up and refinish the area. Good luck.

Alright, well tomorrow I'm going to work on the repair, I'll take some pictures and I'll drill the hole since I'm going to have to sand down everything anyways. Good thing my car is a common color, should be easy to paint over. If the JB Weld doesn't hold, I'll take it to a body shop when I'm in Tech School.

Instead of using jb weld see if you can find an isomethacrylate adhesive. Some when applied to metal cures so hard it can not be scrapped off. It must be cut off with a metal lathe.

Instead of using jb weld see if you can find an isomethacrylate adhesive. Some when applied to metal cures so hard it can not be scrapped off. It must be cut off with a metal lathe.

If the JB weld doesn't hold, I'll give this a shot.

Found the other corner had a crack on it, but it was the lip only thank heavens.. Either way, took your guys advice, did a temporary fix. The other tear had some rust on it, so it must've been there for a while. Take note rookies, sunroofs suck.

IMG00102-20110804-1635.jpg

IMG00103-20110804-1645.jpg

IMG00104-20110804-1716.jpg

IMG00105-20110804-1725.jpg

IMG00106-20110804-1752.jpg

IMG00107-20110804-1820.jpg

Add a fuck ton of deadener. That's exactly what I didn't want to happen to my shit, so I added 8 layers to my 86 and it has held up so far.

It's a good thing you have cheap easy fix paint.