SMpaintball78

IA flatlyne 15. i can smell it cookin

idk what all this square wave stuff is lol. but the amp is a new mtx 1501d elite series. i have the big 3 done and thats it. my voltage does dropp a little but nowhere near as much as when i had my hcca at 1 ohm pulling 1500 watts from my stock 95 amp alternator. if anything, i would have clipping there because its drawing so much power anf there wasnt much to take to begin with correct?

Clipping has absolutely nothing to do with it. At all. Every post contrary to this in this thread is B.S.

If you keep smelling it, you are applying to much power, period.

Edited by 95Honda

yeah? clipping will send dirty power, making it heat faster. this happens alot when underpowering a sub, you push the amp to try to compensate for lack of power.

Dirty power, as opposed to un-dirty power? Tell me, have you done any thermal testing and actually measured a temperature difference between a square wave and a sine wave input signal?

Comparing the power output for a sine wave vs square wave, the square wave can be up to 1.5 times the power. That's what blows speakers :gayhaaay1:

A true squarewave with the same peak voltage as a sinewave would be 2x the average power.

yeah? clipping will send dirty power, making it heat faster. this happens alot when underpowering a sub, you push the amp to try to compensate for lack of power.

Dirty power, as opposed to un-dirty power? Tell me, have you done any thermal testing and actually measured a temperature difference between a square wave and a sine wave input signal?

Power is just like underwear. You can only use it so much before it gets dirty and needs tossed in with the rest of the dirty laundry.

A clipped signal would/could burn leads. maybe thats the smell.

Seen it happen before

Clipping has absolutely nothing to do with it. At all. Every post contrary to this in this thread is B.S.

If you keep smelling it, you are applying to much power, period.

when i measuered the sub at the amp, it came to a 3.30-3.50 final load. my amp is 1500@1ohm, 1000@2ohm and 500@4ohm. so if anything its getting right at rms.

Seen it happen before

so like on the amp end of the leads or the sub end of the leads??

Seen it happen before

so like on the amp end of the leads or the sub end of the leads??

The "tinsel" leads. The leads from the speakers terminal and voicecoil.

:Doh:

Clipping has no effect on tinsel leads.

If you can smell it, you are giving it too much power. Period.

Only other thing that may cause this is a faulty amplifier that is producing something other than the intended signal and it's harmonics.... Probably not the issue in your case.

Clipping has no effect on tinsel leads.

If you can smell it, you are giving it too much power. Period.

Only other thing that may cause this is a faulty amplifier that is producing something other than the intended signal and it's harmonics.... Probably not the issue in your case.

Sure, clipping directly doesn't cause damage to tinsel leads, but that doesn't mean it has no effect.

Regardless, its heat that is caused by to much power that usually leads to failure.

Either if its square or sine, in the end, heat is the enemy.

And I hope you wasn't thinking I suggested clipping and burning of the tinsel leads could be the problem. I only tried to clear up the confusion with the word "leads".

ill pull the sub out of the box today and check the leads. ill take a few pic's as well and post them for u guys to see

people buy a SQ sub and dont know how to use it ... ou my god :WTFBubble: