BTL15

Security Film

I was looking for alarms for my truck and came across Shatter Guard Film. It claims to be able to stop any intruder and is shatter proof. I looked at their video and it looks pretty convincing but the question now is, is it worth it? What do you guys think all hype or could this really be an alternative to an alarm system. Since it's a film it can't be bypassed like an alarm system and can apparently increase the windows strength by up to 300%. The problem is it costs $399. Do you guys think this would be just as good as an alarm system? Also is their any other brand out their that anyone has heard of that is just as effective without the extreme price tag?

Alarm would be 100% better, it looks like window tint. Maybe just tint your windows and get an alarm...

That shatter gard looks like no joke. In the demo videos it withstood a c4 explosion sending 1/4 in steel balls at the window. The window shattered but was held together by the film preventing any penetration. Now how would it stand up against a sledge hammer? Either way its an interesting product that looks to be effective in its application.

Alarm would be 100% better, it looks like window tint. Maybe just tint your windows and get an alarm...

If you look at the videos it's obviously not your ordinary window tint. It is specifically designed to stop anything from getting through the window. And my argument with alarms are that usually they are ignored and easy to bypass by opening the hood and cutting the wires. Could I wire the alarm to my second battery? If so then that would be better than wiring it to my starter battery because thats where anyone who knows what there doing would go to first.

That shatter gard looks like no joke. In the demo videos it withstood a c4 explosion sending 1/4 in steel balls at the window. The window shattered but was held together by the film preventing any penetration. Now how would it stand up against a sledge hammer? Either way its an interesting product that looks to be effective in its application.

They have a video of it being hit by an axe and it holds together amazingly.

hehe.. That company is weak...

Also, there is no substitute, or an either or...

You get an alarm AND bulletproof laminate.

My security system on my car cost around $1400.

I don't skimp out on low quality protection.

I use ACE Security.

Level 3 protection on glass that moves so it can still fit through the seals at the top and bottom.

Level 4 protection on glass that is stationary.

Level 3 and 4 are bulletproof where Level4 is godlike, hehe.

Check this video out.. The more you watch, you will notice the harder they try to break it

And remember, the video you are watching is only Level3 protection.. Level 4 is ridiculous strong.

I looked at the specs on Shatterguard.. it's a joke man.

Break strength for Shatterguard's VehicleGuard is only 122 PSI

ACE Security's Level 3 break strength is 350 PSI and Level 4 is 450 PSI.

You purchase sheets from ACE by the square foot and they start at $8/ft.

Remember- You need to find someone who is HIGHLY QUALIFIED and has experience in installing this stuff!

IT took my car 6 days to get it fully installed because i had to keep going back to relieve air bubbles because the sheeting is so thick and strong.

Curved glass alone takes approximately 5-9 hrs and about 2-4 days of cosmetic touchup to finish.

OH.. and here is ACE Security-

At 1:40.. it starts to get real good.

Definitely nice stuff but he did get through the glass and film, I'd imagine a stout beast of a man could get through that much easier/faster than that guy there. I wonder how easy it would be to use a center punch to bust the glass then use something else to pierce the film.

a glass hammer and a sharp knife will take down just about any flexible film. If it's ultra sticky adhesive it might slow someone down by quite a bit.

Honestly it's still an awesome looking product, but more for safty/protection than theft prevention. Cost v reward states that for most people it would cost less to just have a bunch of cash in case they get broken into.

Shizzon so which do you think I should get first an alarm or this? I'm getting my windows professionally tinted for my birthday next week so maybe they could install it? I don't think anyone is going to have more experience at installing film then professional installers haha. I live in a very populated area so I figured that this may have been enough because it's kinda obvious that your trying to break into someones truck if you've been going at it with a baseball bat for 2 minutes. And when you install it I'm guessing that you install it before the tint?

Protective laminate MUST be installed FIRST, then tint over it.

Level 3 + tint is the thickest\best protection to get on windows that roll down\up.

i did my alarm first, then i did the laminate like a week or two later.

The goal of laminate is not to permanently prevent, but to slow down intrusion while the alarm is going off.

If you have a paging alarm, you will be out there before a thief can penetrate enough to gain full access.

Then you're running up on a criminal with a bat? Usually not a problem as I keep some sort of firearm handy, sometimes it's actually in the vehicle though :suicide-santa:

What an amazing share, I will definately be looking into this at a later date.

@Shizz

could you list your equipment that Talley up to 1400$ for us, for sharing purposes. Unless you'd rather not I'm pretty sure we could understand why you wouldn't want to, but to give every body else an idea, maybe even teach us a few things about how to secure a vehicle properly. Thanks for the vid also!

i can tomorrow if i can remember.. Leavin to go fix 2 different computers right now.

i can tomorrow if i can remember.. Leavin to go fix 2 different computers right now.

Ok cool.

How effective is it on slim jims, dent pullers that pull out the lock, etc?

How effective is it on slim jims, dent pullers that pull out the lock, etc?

I don't believe the film as anything to do with anything else besides the window itself. The level 4 is only 20mil thick.

Exactly

ok, with slim jims.. you just build something right up underneath of the window seal inside the door. A cavity so you can't go looking for the locking mechanism.

Anyways, I had installed a Viper something, it's been a few yrs ago. I think it was a 790 something i believe.

The system itself was around $300 but after i had all these extra sensors put on and 6 sirens and ~$600 labor.. it jacked the price of the alarm system to just a hair under $1000.

I had proximity sensor, tilt sensor, (dual shock sensor included), hood switch sensor, dual external battery backup sirens, 3 peizo internal sirens, 1 internal (outside siren).

Took all day for it to be installed but it's worth it. IT's a 2way pager system.

Then i ordered security film. $280 to have 30sqft shipped to me to do all the side windows. $150 labor with lifetime install warranty.

so how do you trim it to the windows shape? razor knife?

If thats the case why couldnt you just cut a slit in it where you want to penitrate?

Crazy stuff right their!

the installer used shears because it was too hard to cut with a knife like you normally would tint.

All that you need to apply, i believe, is a LOT and i mean a LOT of water.

When applying tint, you need to use light water but this stuff needs a waterfall to install.

That's why air\water bubbles are so common to happen and i had to go back day after day to get them all fixed.

Once it is applied, you cannot remove it so once the majority of the film is on there, you better not make any large mistakes.

I do not know the exact labor intensity of the job because i dropped my car off for the whole day then picked it up that night.

Viper 5902, mad sensors, 2 way paging, optinal silent alarm, so nobody hears the alarm go off but you, casaualy get up, cock the .40's and walk up on them...

Or good full coverage insurance if you want to upgrade your system...

Edited by grandprixpunch

Viper 5902, mad sensors, 2 way paging, optinal silent alarm, so nobody hears the alarm go off but you, casaualy get up, cock the .40's and walk up on them...

Or good full coverage insurance if you want to upgrade your system...

Doc Holliday style? Why would you need more than one? :P

@Shiz

Where on earth did you find a place that knew how to install the security film for you?

there is a guy in our city that is known around town for doin the best tint installs for people whether it be normal installation or multi-layered color tint, etc... he is very good plus he gives lifetime warranty for his work.

So i asked him one time if he knew how to install this stuff and he said he had done security laminate before but the stuff ACE Security sells, when i showed it to him, was his thickest laminate install he had ever done.

But he did it!