Angelboy863

Looking for a new setup. Ideas?

So i just sold my nightshades.. got $900 to spend on new setup which would be subs and speakers(still stock, idk what to look for). I still want the walled idea its just that two nightshades was too much for me i want something still loud and proud but the thing was that i couldnt power them correctly, dont have enough money.

but the box is already made to fit two 15s, it wasnt really custom made for the nightshades, it was for any pair of 15s. so im lookin for two new 15s

i like rap, hip hop, and dubstep. i loveeee decaf. i dont blast my music i listen to it very gently. but you know i give demos to friends and show what my stuff can really do! i currently have a saz 1500 which is probably the amp im goin to use for the new setup @ 1ohm.

im thinkin..

2 15" SSA Icons

or

2 15" Sundown Audio SA-15s

or

2 15" Rockford Fosgate T0s

or

2 15" RE Audio SE-Xs

I really cannot decide.. id love them all lol what do you guys think? im leanin towards the sundowns but a friend just bought a pair of em for his tacoma but not walled like me.. so i wouldnt really wanna be a copycat lol

if i bought the icons, id be the first in my area with ssa lol and rf and RE i just like their designs and clean bass.

if there is anything else that you recommend please feel free to comment. I just had my nightshades for about 2 months but im ready to downgrade lol. money is a factor which is why i couldnt get my sundown 2000s. im givin up my dream system for now but i dont want to be out of the game lol. id just like to have some nice convos with you guys and get some ideas.

as for speakers i dont know what would be the best. my ranger has 4 door speakers, 6 x 8s. my stock speakers already sound blown so i know i must upgrade. whats the good brands in speakers? im thinkin jl or rf or maybe infinity kappas? would it be bad to just have seleniums? and as for amp it would be the sundown 200.4 already have it. my electrical is perfect for the setup i want but iwas wondering if i should upgrade my big 3? i have 1/0 should i go bigger? my voltage is steady around 13.8-13.7. on full blast lowest 13.4. shouldnt it be in the 14s?

man i wrote alot lol. but thanks for reading and looking forward for my new setup! :slayer:

No need to go any bigger with the big 3 imo. That 200.4 is way more power than you will need. Pick the speakers that you like best and fit your budget well. I would also use 6.5s instead of 6x8s. As for subs, I would go with SSA or Sundown out of the 4 you posted.

No need to go any bigger with the big 3 imo. That 200.4 is way more power than you will need. Pick the speakers that you like best and fit your budget well. I would also use 6.5s instead of 6x8s. As for subs, I would go with SSA or Sundown out of the 4 you posted.

Thanks! Wellthe 200.4 I already bought.. And 6x9s are what fits in my ranger. I have alot of thinking to do but thanks for your input!

Thanks! Wellthe 200.4 I already bought.. And 6x9s are what fits in my ranger. I have alot of thinking to do but thanks for your input!

Depending on the speaker openings up front you should be able to fit 6.5's if you build a baffle. You should build a baffle anyway so you may as well do that considering it will give you a lot more options. Do you already have a headunit? Since you already have that 200.4 it's hard to recommend a passive set when you've got a pretty nice amp to run active. You would need processing (ie new HU) to accomplish this and it would take a lot of effort to make it sound good. If you deem the effort worth it then I'd say go for it. If you decide to run passive I don't really see a need for the 200.4. I know you already have it, but that amp is worth some money. You could sell it and add the profits to your budget and find a much cheaper (and smaller) 2 channel amp.

The Icons are out of stock. I don't know if you already knew this or not, but that might affect your decision a little. Any specs on that box? Depending on the box, I'd recommend you look into SSD's.

Depending on the speaker openings up front you should be able to fit 6.5's if you build a baffle. You should build a baffle anyway so you may as well do that considering it will give you a lot more options. Do you already have a headunit? Since you already have that 200.4 it's hard to recommend a passive set when you've got a pretty nice amp to run active. You would need processing (ie new HU) to accomplish this and it would take a lot of effort to make it sound good. If you deem the effort worth it then I'd say go for it. If you decide to run passive I don't really see a need for the 200.4. I know you already have it, but that amp is worth some money. You could sell it and add the profits to your budget and find a much cheaper (and smaller) 2 channel amp.

The Icons are out of stock. I don't know if you already knew this or not, but that might affect your decision a little. Any specs on that box? Depending on the box, I'd recommend you look into SSD's.

Thanks! What are the benefits of 6.5s over 6x9? Yeah I just noticed the icons are out of stock (bummer!) I don't know much about speakers but i don't think I'm going to be running passive. I'm looking in double din touchscreen headunits fully loaded. I bought the 200.4 like last month thinking it would be perfect but if I were to sell maybe consider the sundown 100.2?

I have a 100.2 that I have yet to install, it seems very nice though. There's one on db-r for cheap, if I were in your shoes (considering the fact that you're in a ranger and really only need a front stage, I'd snatch it up and sell off the 200.4) I would probably just opt for a simple 2 way passive setup using the 100.2.

Aha.. I see. How do I do a passive setup? O.o lol

Okay I did my research I'm going with a passive setup and the 100.2. I save money and unnecessary power! As for subs... Debating on sa15s or ssds. If the icons come back I'd probably pick them over the rest! But this setup will come in smoothly I'm not in a rush I want to make sure I do everything right, unlike my last setup lol.

The largest benefit to 6.5s over 6x9's is that you've got more options with 6.5s. I can't really think of many 6x9 component sets, but your local audio shop should have some 6.5s for you to go listen to.

When you're picking everything out remember install>equipment. I noticed you didn't mention treating your doors. That's mandatory if you want to get the most out of whatever components you choose.

The main benefit of not using 6x9's is that there aren't any decent ones available. Companies could easily fix that but for some stupid reason they don't.

So reading through this I gathered that you drive a Ford Ranger that is extended cab?

Since you know nothing about active/passive I would go passive since it is much easier. You will just have to do a LOT of searching for component sets. Everyone practically makes something descent. I know that finding places to listen to them are hard, typically, so I would really just pay attention to reviews, particularly how good the tweet is. That seems to be what makes or breaks a descent set of components.

Definitely sell the 200.4 and downgrade. It would really help your budget. To make your component system sound good you will have to build and MDF baffle to mount it.

As for the Subs, what size is the box? Ported... tuned???

Thanks guys.. Well what I forgot to mention was I had an idea of two component sets in the door panels, yes I would've had custom built baffles out of fiberglass but that idea is sort of out of the way right now. I'm not ready for that yet.. So I'll go with 6.5s and have custom built baffles for them I definitely noticed I have WAY more options of components with the 6.5s than the 6x9s lol. And as for sound dampening... Don't know lol. I think I can afford the best, whatever brand that is, maybe second skin or damplifier? I'd be treating door panels and the back cab. And yes I have a 2002 ford ranger extended cab XLT 4x4. box is double 7.0 cubic ft, Ported, and tuned at 32 hz. Ports are on the sides

Edited by Angelboy863

Out of the subs you listed i would go with the Icons. They seem like great subs that sound good and can get loud.

Or like suggested before.. Some Fi Ssd's would be pretty cheap and you will get great subs.

I called fi they didn't answer so I'll wait it out, ill call em again soon. What I also forgot to mention is that I'm not looking for a spl kind of setup, something more along the lines of SQ. I want it to sound good and have tremendous bass. I really don't have much personal expeience with setups but I'm starting out. I've been able to personally hear the SSA xcon 18" in a sealed box and it was nasty low but not that good on high. I've heard fi btls and I know their very loud but didn't seem to have the bass I'm looking for, yes I know every setup is different but I can detect my personal preferences. I'm stuck between sa15s and ssds. And for components I've narrowed down to either Rf t2652-s which have great reviews and I can trust them or Infinity kappa 60.9cs which also have great reviews but I've never owned infinity.. Touch choice and their both same price range lol

AHAAA. So I've decided to go with sa15s. Dual 4 ohm so I can wire them to 1 ohm on the SAZ 1500. I'll be careful with the gains. Still stuck on speakers. I have a guy offering $435 for the 200.4 I think I'll sell it to him since I bought it for almost $470 almost new, I was asking $450 but it'll work. Than the sundown 100.2 from dbr, thanks ohjay. And as for sound dampening, I have like $100-200 to spend, $250 at most. It would be for door panels and back cab of ranger and a lil bit on roof.. Another question, think I could do hairtricks with the sa15s on 1500rms? The nightshades pushed some massive air and I couldnt do a hairtrick but shirt tricks were possible. Well if you wet to put your face to the ports yes it would move hair but from the windows it wouldn't lol. Maybe because the nightshades didn't lush much air? Will sa15s push more air? Idk why I think this but I think that because the nightshades were underpowered they weren't pushing hard enough but maybe the SA 15s will because its right about the right wattage. Lol sorry for my lame thought but correct me if I'm wrong.

Did you ever look at the Fi Q's ? Excellent SQ and great output. As for components i have heard the Rf's before and they sound really nice. About the hairtrick it maybe depends on sub and port positioning. You can never underpower a subwoofer either... Depends more about the install...

Nice choice.

Sell this 200.4 and get a 125.2 or 100.2. You can find cheap 4 ch amp that you could run bridged on your comp set.

Good luck for your system ! Show us pics! ;-)

Thanks everyone! This may be my setup for a long time, at least till after basic training. Still haven't bought a camera lol will post pics after I buy my equipment and stuff. Maybe do a build log here also. Yes the fi Qs were also on my list of subwoofers but I have a friend with four 12 in fi Qs in a dodge Dakota crew cab. I didn't wanna copy him. As for my frien with the sa15s he sold them and went for incriminator. So I'm not copying anyone with my choice of sa15s lol. And who knows I may or may not do hairtricks I think it's possible and if not it's no biggie. Yeah my friend has the rf components I believe the 6.5s and the 5x7s they sound great! I'm doing alot of research on infinity kappas right now hopefully I'll decide by tomorrow and buy my equipment tomorrow. Idk the nightshades sounded good, yes, but I wasn't sure if it was full potential. Original plan was two SAZ 1500s strapped but decided not ready for that setup yet.

I would go for the Rockford Fosgate components. Especially since you already know what they sound like and that you like it. sonicelectronix.com has a bunch of speaker to look at. Check em out bro! Good luck with the set up hope everything goes your way man.

If I may suggest another subwoofer. AA Havocs, I love mine, they sound real good and got pretty loud while doing it. They were in a sealed box I made while Andrew is working on the ported one. Just a personall review on them. If you liked the look of the ICON these have the same "dish" cone.

Fi doesn't have a phone number.

I have one for their office in virginia?

I have one for their office in virginia?

If FI doesn't, AA does lol

Never heard AA personally but I'd take your word for it lol. Well the fi number I have was given to me by someone on the smd forum. Still didn't buy my stuff, according to my calculations I'm short a couple of dollars so I'll wait till I get paid next week. I went with damplifier for sound deadening, rf components because I didn't really get the reviews I wanted for the infinitys. Sa15s still and the sundown 100.2. Hopefully noone buys the 100.2 lol. But I really appreciate everyones inputs, I never wouldve thought of 100.2 and 6.5s. I was thinkin 200.4 and two sets of 6x9s lol.