Hzd Skizzy

Just Joined a Gym and need Some Advice.

Also when does ripped= strong aka not weak?

Agreed you could be ripped and weak as shit. Strength is measured in so many different ways.

To the op: lift heavy, eat right, sleep, and repeat.

Ok, as a personal trainer in the past, I can say this topic got off track with too many generalizations. Honestly, to the original poster, I feel we should start your topic over anew, and clearly state out some REALISTIC goals, both long term and short term. And remember what works for one person, will not work for another.

I was in the same spote you are in but a bit worse I am 26 years old and at the beging of the year I waed 320 pounds I am 6'1 I got winded going up a flit of stares I wonted to lose wate but I did not wont to work out so I changed my dite I went from fast food and pizza all the time to chicken and fish and tirkey with brown rice and some mixed veg it took a wile to get used to it but it is all I eat now and her it is 9 munts later and I have droped 60 pounds I now way 260 puunds I know it is still over wate but I have not ben to the gym or worked out sence I got out of high school I am still losing wate by wachin what I eat but I still drink like a fish I have had 4 Johnny Walker blacks sencs I got of work I know that does not help with the wate loss but in my mind little steps add up to the big pic bast of luck to you and dont geve up it will be hard the first month or so

Ok, as a personal trainer in the past, I can say this topic got off track with too many generalizations. Honestly, to the original poster, I feel we should start your topic over anew, and clearly state out some REALISTIC goals, both long term and short term. And remember what works for one person, will not work for another.

Good point. Please feel free to delete my posts if you wish.

J

Bodybuilding.com best way to do it click supersite gives you meal plans works out every thing but supplements and drive to do it.

Good point. Please feel free to delete my posts if you wish.

J

Not going to delete posts, as there are some great points in here, but the challenge is what is best for the OP. :)

Some goals of mine are: To eat healther, feel better, walk up the 3 flights of stairs in my school without getting winded. I would like to lose all of this fat. I would like to become stronger, I would like to look healthier and look better. Don't really care what the scale says but really losing fat is the main thing. Confidence is a big key here. For me, the better I look the more confidence I have.

I go to Planet Fitness Mon-Fri 30 minutes of cardio each day and then I do a plan of workouts that are different for each day of the week.

For example, Mon is Arms and Chest, Tuesdays are 30 minute circuits, Wensdays are Back and Shoulders, Thursdays are 30 minute circuits, Fridays are Legs and core.

If you need anymore info let me know.

Watch out for Planet Fitness. They have a tendency to cater to the 'casual' workout person.

Not saying its a bad thing, but IMO if you wanna get big, learn from Bobybuilders, Powerlifters, and Strongmen. Not some POS trainer (not saying anything towards you here Aaron) who got their 'certificate' online by paying 60 bucks.

J

Some goals of mine are: To eat healther, feel better, walk up the 3 flights of stairs in my school without getting winded. I would like to lose all of this fat. I would like to become stronger, I would like to look healthier and look better. Don't really care what the scale says but really losing fat is the main thing. Confidence is a big key here. For me, the better I look the more confidence I have.

I go to Planet Fitness Mon-Fri 30 minutes of cardio each day and then I do a plan of workouts that are different for each day of the week.

For example, Mon is Arms and Chest, Tuesdays are 30 minute circuits, Wensdays are Back and Shoulders, Thursdays are 30 minute circuits, Fridays are Legs and core.

When you are doing your cardio, one of the more effective ways of burning fat/calories, is changes in heart rate. Meaning, just just hop on the treadmill and park it at one pace for 20 minutes. Mix it up, do a few different machines, some at high, some at moderate, that way you are changing muscle groups and making your heart adjust through out your work out, not just cruising along.

Watch out for Planet Fitness. They have a tendency to cater to the 'casual' workout person.

Not saying its a bad thing, but IMO if you wanna get big, learn from Bobybuilders, Powerlifters, and Strongmen. Not some POS trainer (not saying anything towards you here Aaron) who got their 'certificate' online by paying 60 bucks.

J

Yeah I hear you. I only joined because at the time I was thinking about joining a gym, and they had a killer deal. 99$ for 12 months. But the guy I talked to goes to UNCC and he's studying kineseology (sp?). He also was studying something else that had to do with the body but I can't remember.

When you are doing your cardio, one of the more effective ways of burning fat/calories, is changes in heart rate. Meaning, just just hop on the treadmill and park it at one pace for 20 minutes. Mix it up, do a few different machines, some at high, some at moderate, that way you are changing muscle groups and making your heart adjust through out your work out, not just cruising along.

Yeah I like to do that. I change the machines I do everyday. Arc trainer and bike one day, treadmill and ellipticall the next day.

Usually the cheaper ones are cheaper to bring in more people are they are set up for the serious types. So they have a high turn over rate and go on quantity, not quality.

is planet fitness the one that kicks you out for grunting? lol

And the sirens go off?

But that plan u listed seems good to me

is planet fitness the one that kicks you out for grunting? lol

And the sirens go off?

But that plan u listed seems good to me

The exact one

You are very young and have plenty of time to get "big". You are on the right start.... drop fast food, drop sodas, try to not eat as much white bread and too many potatoes. Have control of your portions and dont eat until you are stuffed. Stick with wheat bread. Get the right amount of fiber in each day.......No carbs past 7:00pm.. everynight.

Do atleast 30 minutes of cardio 5 days a week and have a basic and straight forward workout (lifting) schedule. I personally would do a 4 day split. Get good sleep at night.

If you do these things you will definitly look and feel different in just a few months. Then when you get into decent shape you can concentrate more on building mass and gaining some size.

I have been lifting for the past 18 years.

I have been lean and fit in the past, I also have won powerlifting events in the 275lb weight class. My heaviest I have been lean is 278lbs (5'10) and could squat or deadlift 405lbs for 20 reps any day in the gym I wanted to. After having several injuries and taking a 2 year layoff I found myself being 260lbs and not in near the shape I wanted to. After my doctor advised me to lose some weight and lower cholesterol I decided to get back into to it.

2 1/2 months later I am down to 232lbs (from 260) and feel better than I have in 10 years. When I get down to about 220 I will then start the process of lifting heavy again, until then getting stronger is not my goal. I did this doing exactly what I described above. The hardest thing was having control over my portions. Now I crave salads and cold wheat subs and fruit.

Just do not give up and remember YOU control what you look and feel like.

As for an update...I achieved one of my personal goals. Monday-Friday, first thing in the morning I walk into school and have to climb up 3 flights of stairs. Can't avoid it. I used to get to the second floor and I'll walk into the hall and use the alternate staircase across the school and that would be the equivalent of a "break". Now I go up all 3 no problem, not even huffing or breathing hard. For some of you you would just say cool story bro, but I take it as a milestone. As far as losing weight goes, I'm not losing weight, but I'm losing fat. Gaining muscle though, it's keeping it pretty steady. My eating habits are a lot better. I made a rule for myself that I would have my 1 sweet tea a day, but that is it, water for the rest, then a protein drink after my workout. People are noticing my change. My mom, who I live with, knows I'm getting better but she see's me everyday so it's hard to tell for her. But when I go visit my grandparents they're like WOAH! What Happened! Or as my aunt said who I havent seen since June "Hey! Where the hell is the rest of you?!" I actually enjoy the attention because it keeps me motivated to keep going. Another personal reward, if I go to the gym Mon-Fri, which I am supposed to, on Saturday I'll treat myself with something I love like a favorite dessert or something from McDonalds that I liked. If I miss a day, I won't do it. Just updating my progress.

I'm glad to hear that your making changes man!!! As for motivation get your lady friend or a good friend to take some pics of you. Do it in just shorts. Do it the same day every month. That will help you see the changes for yourself. Compare what works, and what does not.

J

I'm glad to hear that your making changes man!!! As for motivation get your lady friend or a good friend to take some pics of you. Do it in just shorts. Do it the same day every month. That will help you see the changes for yourself. Compare what works, and what does not.

J

Just started doing that.

Okay, I have completely different goals right now.

My plan is to join AFROTC. Or the Air Force ROTC. Of course the physical tests are comprised of the following. Situps Pushups and a 1.5 mile run. 1.5 mile run needs to be completed in less than 9 minutes, 30 seconds. Maximum Scores for pushups is 62, Maximum Situps is 55. Pushups and Situps are in 1 minute. My weight needs to be less than 202 according to my height. As of right now, I'm in no condition to do these tests.

At the gym, i'm doing alot more situps, i need to start doing pushups but right now its very hard. In the gym I'm spending more time on the treadmill improving my stamina. If anyone has any tips or ideas to improve in these specific areas. Thank You!!

Keep it up! Good job. You can make pushups easier by raising the top of your body. leaning up against a wall, (wall push up) or putting your hands on a chair. I don't know that these can be helpful, I'm just throwing it out there.

You deff don't wana do push ups in the wall you may as well not de them.

Wtf I work out almost 5 days a week 62 push ups is prob more then I can do. But if I do one can I make it? Am I missing something?