Sign in to follow this  
mrbadwrench

Looking to upgrade to FI need some help

Right now i am running a higher end sony deck, a rockford punch 450wx4 amp for my speakers, 2x 500w mono alpine v-power amps for subs, and 2x 10" alpine type r subs in a sub-zero ported box (all with premium wiring)

The system has extremely good sound quality but doesn't quite pack the punch I am looking for, so I have a few questions about fi.

Would I be better off just going ahead and upgrading all together to a nice mono amp and a 12 inch bl / btl, or would i get my moneys worth out of using my amps I have with say, 2x 10" x-series (just because the rms matches up with the amps I already have)

So basically I am wondering if the x- series are a big upgrade from alpine type-r's or if I should just go ahead and get something way bigger.

Thanks a lot

I got a set of sa12. And I can't say anything bad about them. For the price you can't beat them and sound amazing too.

I doubt you're going to gain much by changing just the subs. The Alpine Type-R's are proven performing subs and I'm led to believe that if you're looking for more output then you should look at your box. Sounds like a sort of pre-fab and it's not likely optimally tuned for those subs or your tastes. A good custom built box would do more for you for less money IMO. Don't get me wrong, I love Fi subs, but I think your money would be better spent on a new enclosure first.

I doubt you're going to gain much by changing just the subs. The Alpine Type-R's are proven performing subs and I'm led to believe that if you're looking for more output then you should look at your box. Sounds like a sort of pre-fab and it's not likely optimally tuned for those subs or your tastes. A good custom built box would do more for you for less money IMO. Don't get me wrong, I love Fi subs, but I think your money would be better spent on a new enclosure first.

The box is pretty high quality, definately not a walmart or best buy shitty pre-fab. But I will look into a custom box.

In this case, Should i get 2x 10 inch bl's and just get new amps then? What amp would you recommend for that?

I'm not doubting the enclosures build quality. I've seen quite a few very well built pre-fab brands, the problem is in the size and tuning. Most pre-fab enclosures have a bit higher tuning than is optimal for most good subs and they're often on the small side as well. Without knowing the exact specs of your box, no one can say for certain, but I would imagine a box that's optimally built for the Type-R's would likely surprise you at what they're capable of.

For the Type-R's you really don't need different amps, the one's you have are perfectly capable of running them to their fullest.

If you're still bent on getting different subs the BL's are definitely great all around subs, but I can guarantee your prefab enclosure will not yield the great performance they're capable of giving.

I'm not doubting the enclosures build quality. I've seen quite a few very well built pre-fab brands, the problem is in the size and tuning. Most pre-fab enclosures have a bit higher tuning than is optimal for most good subs and they're often on the small side as well. Without knowing the exact specs of your box, no one can say for certain, but I would imagine a box that's optimally built for the Type-R's would likely surprise you at what they're capable of.

For the Type-R's you really don't need different amps, the one's you have are perfectly capable of running them to their fullest.

If you're still bent on getting different subs the BL's are definitely great all around subs, but I can guarantee your prefab enclosure will not yield the great performance they're capable of giving.

Alright thanks for the help, I'll keep the subs I have, and look at having a new box made or building one myself to the specs. I just looked up my subs and it turns out they are 600 watts rms, not 300 like I thought, isnt it bad for my subs to be running half the rms they are supposed to have? If i upgraded amps to get 600 rms to each sub instead of the 300 they are getting now that should make a pretty big difference shouldnt it?

Alright thanks for the help, I'll keep the subs I have, and look at having a new box made or building one myself to the specs. I just looked up my subs and it turns out they are 600 watts rms, not 300 like I thought, isnt it bad for my subs to be running half the rms they are supposed to have? If i upgraded amps to get 600 rms to each sub instead of the 300 they are getting now that should make a pretty big difference shouldnt it?

It'll make a difference, for sure! But it's not bad at all to be under the rms. I'd upgrade the box first like Alton said, and go from there.

the whole underpowering speakers are bad thing is a half-truth. it will only damage your speakers if you try to make up for your lack of power by excessive gain,bass-boost, boosted eq or pretty much sending them a clip or distorted signal. i would also suggest getting a custom box followed by more amplifier power b4 worrying about more subs

Sign in to follow this