Sign in to follow this  

Hey guys, I'm just looking for some help or advice on what to do with my old amplifier. It's a RF punch series P500-2 (I believe the 2008 model? --Silver metal plates cover it), I recently had a local audio store run my wires through my new car and my intentions were to hook up that amplifier. But before they install any amp they run some kind of test on it to make sure it works, at least so he told me, and he said the amp was broken, with no further comments about it.

That didn't seem right to me, although it may very well be broken, but I questioned it because I had it installed in my old vehicle (GMC Jimmy) and when I sold the Jimmy it worked just fine. So I'm thinking it either broke just sitting in the garage for 4 months? Or when I unhooked it?

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Hey guys, I'm just looking for some help or advice on what to do with my old amplifier. It's a RF punch series P500-2 (I believe the 2008 model? --Silver metal plates cover it), I recently had a local audio store run my wires through my new car and my intentions were to hook up that amplifier. But before they install any amp they run some kind of test on it to make sure it works, at least so he told me, and he said the amp was broken, with no further comments about it.

That didn't seem right to me, although it may very well be broken, but I questioned it because I had it installed in my old vehicle (GMC Jimmy) and when I sold the Jimmy it worked just fine. So I'm thinking it either broke just sitting in the garage for 4 months? Or when I unhooked it?

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Test it yourself. Be sure to check the fuses.

Alrighty, what do I buy to test it? And where lol

:noob:

Alrighty, what do I buy to test it? And where lol

:noob:

If they ran your wires just hook up ground, remote, power, and rca's. turn the gain down and use a speaker you have laying around. If not find a buddy with a system and test it in their car.

I have it all hooked up to a different better amp now, I'm either going to see if this would be an easy fix or just throw it in the trash. :suicide-santa:

Edited by Freshh

I have it all hooked up to a different better amp now, I'm either going to see if this would be an easy fix or just throw it in the trash. :suicide-santa:

dont throw it away at least make a few bucks out of it. there are some rf worshipers out there that can fix it.

but to the topic when you unhooked the amp was the power wire's inline fuse out? did the power wire touch the case and sparked?

Shit I was in a hurry.. I didn't take any fuses out, I just unhooked the power wires from the amp..

If that is the case, what'd I do?

did you unhook the wires or cut them?

Unhook.

Well if the power wire grounded onto the amps case then your toast. Its fried. That happened to me on my d.a.t 4ch and i was pissed and destroyed it with a hammer lol. But I would try to find someone that repairs amps and get a quote. If too much then might as well just get a new one.

Edited by User

Double post

Edited by User

Since nobody has asked this already, what do you mean the amp is "broken"? No power, no output? What? I definitely wouldn't take a shops word for it. Hook the amp up in your car and see for yourself.

Yeah, at this point i've only taken the shops advice, I'll hook it up and see what happens!

good idea

I finally got the time to hook the P500-2 up! It 'worked' but it didn't seem like it was giving the sub as many watts as it should have been.. Is that possible? I had it bridged at 4 ohms. Gain was set at about half.

Have you opened it up and checked the board?

Amp is probably good, they told you it was broken so you can buy another from them.

Ohjay - No, idk what I would be checking the board for, should I anyways? Sounds kind of fun..

Raolito - I hope that's not the case, but it very well may be.. though they did know I already had an amp that replaced the one they checked..

Edited by Freshh

Burn marks mostly. I always like to open amps up and check out the guts if there's no warranty to be voided by doing so.

Nah, no warranty, I bought the amp refurb'd. I'll open it up when I get some time! Thanks again Ohjay!

De Nada. I have an old amp laying here that still works fine but has some burning around the output rails and resulted in a 3 db loss at the last show I went to. Sometimes they can function fine and simply have a loss of output. Open that sucker up and get some pics up for us.

I've never posted a picture on here! Now you've got me all excited. lol

I upload mine to photobucket and then right click on the image, copy image location and paste it between

Let me see if I can do this..

RFAMP3.jpg

:woot:

RFAMP1.jpg

RFAMP2.jpg

Does anybody see anything alarming? lol looked okay to me.. but that's not saying a whole lot.

Edited by Freshh

hmm i dont see anything wrong. but thats my eyes. didnt spot anything burnt