Is it cheaper to buy my own MDF and make a box than having professionals at a audio store do it? I plan on having a SA-12 and a box Ported tuned to about 32hz with about 1.7 cubic ft of space.

I have the measurements and such. I used the re audio box calculator. I can get help from my woodshop teacher and some friends but I'm curious if it's cheaper. Idk how much they charge at the audio store but I'm sure it's not cheap.

And another thing how good is birch over MDF? I can get birch free but everyone tells me MDF sounds better. Build would be musical and everyday driver not spl. Thanks guys can't wait to hear from you all.

Of course it is cheaper man. And Birch is fine.

Edited by ricksi30

of course its cheaper to do yourselr if you have the tools to do it. and use birch if you can.

Birch would work great and of course it would be much cheaper to build your own.

Haha all three of our posts are almost identical.

Quick replies lol. Ok cool because my woodshop teacher has plenty of birch that he's allowing me to use. I've never build a box before but hes quote handy at it and it can't bethat hard. I believe we have all that we need. Clamps, titebond glue, jigsaw, etc etc. Idk I guess it's common sense but for some reason I wasn't too sure lol. And what's the best way for the speaker wires?

Whatever you want really, I like the bolt method utilizing 2 sets of bolts for easy wiring.

Ok but definitely not premade terminals?

Bro you should buy my sa12

Edited by Marcus G

Is it cheaper to buy my own MDF and make a box than having professionals at a audio store do it? I plan on having a SA-12 and a box Ported tuned to about 32hz with about 1.7 cubic ft of space.

I have the measurements and such. I used the re audio box calculator. I can get help from my woodshop teacher and some friends but I'm curious if it's cheaper. Idk how much they charge at the audio store but I'm sure it's not cheap.

And another thing how good is birch over MDF? I can get birch free but everyone tells me MDF sounds better. Build would be musical and everyday driver not spl. Thanks guys can't wait to hear from you all.

Bad idea, the RE calculator's tuning frequency is incorrect, unless they've fixed it by now. I would suggest using the Torres' Box Tuning Calculator.

A circular saw used with a saw guide will give you nicer cuts than a jigsaw.

Either way use a good blade, birch chips on the lower cutting edge.

it cheaper to build your own. and i use bolts for my speaker connection.

You can run the wires though the port also. Birch may need more bracing. But it is lighter and nicer to work with than MDF. Getting the design right is the bigger issue. Go for it! Have fun. It will be a very rewarding experience.

Duane