fzaba

PDX M12 - 1200w RMS for ICON or XCON

I am trying to decided between an ICON and XCON 12" sub. I have a 1.1CF sealed box and plan on sending 1200W RMS to the sub. Which driver is a better fit for this power. I like the XMAX gains when stepping up to the XCON, but I am just not sure if I can make use of that excursion given 1200W. Thoughts?

Edited by fzaba

1200 watts is plenty to get the Xcon going. :)

And no such thing as underpowering. If your budget allows there are a multitude of reasons to step up to the X

With that said, unless you have found a used Icon, it is not really a fair assessment to compare the 2011 Icon to anything as we have not released any concrete information.

Yes, this was about comparing the ICON to XCON given the current specs found in the SSA store. I realize that I would of had to shop for a used ICON, no biggie.

Initially I was worried that given a 1.1CF sealed box and 1200w, the XCON would simply be loafing along. Not really "underpowering" the sub per say, but more along the lines of not being able to reach the driver's full potential with my input power. Sure, I could drive an XCON with 400w, but that would just be silly... that would leave me with a ton of wasted wasted driver potential and $. I am looking to match my components closely.

I am paintiently waiting for the new ICON specs, but will also keep the XCON in my sights. If patience wears thin I may just jump on the XCON given the feedback I have received here. I'm hoping the new ICON comes in around 1200w as ideal power and 25mm of XMAX or more. :popcorn:

the XCON would simply be loafing along. Not really "underpowering" the sub per say, but more along the lines of not being able to reach the driver's full potential with my input power. Sure, I could drive an XCON with 400w,

Doesn't work that way. You will not hear the difference between 1200w and 1500w so don't chase needles in a haystack. And the Xcon will sound GREAT with 400w.

If you are bothered about the wattage difference, you can adjust the enclosure size. Such as increase the internal volume to increase efficiency a little. But I promise you, there is nothing wasted on the Xcon with less then ratted power. :)

If you are bothered about the wattage difference, you can adjust the enclosure size. Such as increase the internal volume to increase efficiency a little. But I promise you, there is nothing wasted on the Xcon with less then ratted power. :)

Well said xcons dont need full power :drink40:

If you have the budget, go Xcon FTW.

On the same power you can easily hear the difference between the Icon and the Xcon : you will not want the Icon. But the Icon is a fantastic sub : yes, I said that, Fan tas tic !

I've just bought back my 15" Xcon ! Can't wait to put it back in my car.

:dancing:

With that said, unless you have found a used Icon, it is not really a fair assessment to compare the 2011 Icon to anything as we have not released any concrete information.

You'd better hurry, 2011 is almost over.

You'd better hurry, 2011 is almost over.

I know, we may have to make it an early release 2012 model. ;)

I purchased the XCON through Amazon the 5th. Can't wait for it to reach my doorstep... :gift:

I'll likely post some pictures and video up once the sub is installed.

So I'm confused. Are you guys really saying 400 watts could push an X con and it sound good? If this is the case why build a sub like the D con that only handles 300 watts. Taking what I just read, I'd rather have two X cons or Z cons and give them 500 watts each or 1000 watts for the pair.

Is there some where I could read up on rms power handling? Seems I need to have some schooling. In my mind I would think powering a ~2000 watt sub with 400 watts would not be a good move. But you guys say its o.k. and sounds good???

I need to figure out why a sub with a rms of 1750 can take 400 watts and sound good. What happens when the sub gets the full 1750 watts? How about doubling the rms rating to 3500 watts.

I'm soaking all this up with a sponge. I want to learn some more theories on car audio. Sorry to thread jack. All of this is some good info.

BigGeorge, there is no such thing as underpowering, you are also forgetting about sensitivity.

So a more sensitive speaker takes less watts. I'm not sure how to ask the question correctly. But, how is the performance of a 2000 rms woofer being fed 400 watts vs the full 2k watts. What does more watts do on the same woofer? Less?

Since I was looking at a pair of Dcons should I simply get the X or Z cons instead since with lower wattage they would still sound good; ~500 watts each?

A more sensitive loudspeaker will require less power to reach a given output level vs. a less sensitive speaker. Theoretically when you double power input you increase output by 3 decibels.

BigGeorge : Whatever amplifier you use, you will not have all the watts everytime. Only at full volume.:ughdunno:

On low volume, the sub still sounds good, it is just louder with all the watts.

If you have the budget, go with the x. you will be able to change your amp for a more powerful one later if you want. It will give you more dbzzzz !

:peepwall:

Still confused on why have the rms rating ~2000 watts if I could run 500 watts and be fine??? Is there some learning for newbs. I thought I knew a little something but I realize I don't know Jack!!! So 1000 watts for 2 Xcon 12"s?

It will sound good but won't be the loudest.

With :morepower1: you will have more output.

1000 watts for 2 Xcons 12" ? Why not ? Maybe you can run only one Xcon on that power, and upgrade later. But if you already have the cash, just do it ! You will get a more powerful amp, later, to make those Xcons shine.

I'm running 2 xcons on about 500rms each and they sound amazing.

Think of it like a sports car. Say it can go 180 mph. Just because it can go that fast doesnt mean you HAVE to go that fast all the time. Driving around at 50 mph won't hurt it one bit

One of my favorite SSA sub installs, was an Xcon 12D2 on a whopping 240 watts in a sealed box with a little bit of polyfill. :)

If you ask me my Xcon sounded better on lower wattage. It didnt have as much authority but the bass was so much cleaner and more accurate. With that set up I had 1200 rms available but I turned the gains down some so it blended well with my front stage. Its a extemely nice woofer for many applications

Wow, interesting stuff. I have thrown what I thought I knew about car audio out the window. I have my eyes, ears, and nose wide open guys!!! I was going to go with the Dcon's but seeing how eventually I would want to get "loud" might as well start at the top and do it right once. When I got my amp back in '02, power was expensive and a 1000 watts was like whoa. Now 2000-2500 is the new 1k watts. Is there a specific site or book that I could read about watts, rms, sensitivity, etc.