OPry

Fi BTL N3 vs. AA SMD

What would you say is better for a single sub set up in general after giving whatever power needed and space required?

I've been comparing T/S parameters but just want other people's opinions.

Better for what?

Well I know they are both SPL oriented. So general SPL and can play music if desired.

What do you like and dislike about them? How would you use them in what application?

Just in general, which sub is better for what at any power with any enclosure in your opinion?

Edited by OPry

If you want to play daily choose the SMD, it's worth it if you can afford it. Sounds better.

But what car? How much power? What kind of music do you want to play?

Ask a specific question instead of a random question.

Edited by kirill007

It's a tie, Fi wins by getting your money regardless. :P Both are awesome subs. Flip a coin and run with it. With out any useful info like how much power you got on tap and whether this is for daily music or strickly SPL burp we can't help. How do you like my run on sentence with no commas? :peepwall:

Well you can see what power I have in my sig but regardless of what I have, Imagine using the optimum amp setup.

If you want to play daily choose the SMD, it's worth it if you can afford it. Sounds better.

I have an N3, and it sounds just fine to me. Sound quality is objective, to Richard Clark I'm sure my N3 sounds like crap. The Supergauss woofer would excel in a daily scenario though. If weight or space is a problem, the N3 would win.

Do you see what I'm getting at Opry? You asking which woofer is best does not help get your question answered.

The price difference alone would alter my decision.

:ughdunno:

It's not that big of a difference. Especially when you get the Fi fully loaded. Compared to the DD Z series, I think these are a much better deal.

I have an N3, and it sounds just fine to me. Sound quality is objective, to Richard Clark I'm sure my N3 sounds like crap. The Supergauss woofer would excel in a daily scenario though. If weight or space is a problem, the N3 would win.

Do you see what I'm getting at Opry? You asking which woofer is best does not help get your question answered.

^^^

I understand what you are saying. That's why I'm asking for opinions on whatever setup you guy would have in mind with these subs. If somebody thought that a Fi powered by a Chinese amp from ebay playing in a cardboard box would sound better for music, then I wanna hear what they have to say.

I know I have a hard time explaining things but is my head that messed up that nobody understands me? :suicide-santa:

I feel so alone... :ehh:

Lets try this again. lol

Forget my vehicle and your vehicle.

Forget my amps and your amps.

Forget everything.

Take the N3.

Build the best system you can for it with whatever application you think.

Now take the SMD and do the same thing. (Can be the same or different appication)

Compare.

Give details.

Give your opinion.

????

Profit

Edited by OPry

I understand, but like I said, what kind of space do you have to work with?

Ask what you want without using these words: best, better, SQ, SPL, etc. Then maybe we will understand what you are getting at.

this thread made me want to put a barrel in my mouth and hope that there was a bullet in the chamber! :suicide-santa:

Edited post #15.

Sorry TeamRamRod.

Hopefully I cleared everything up

OP, Let's do it that way : the N3 is an all out spl sub (even if some use it for daily music), and the SMD is mainly for music (but can get really loud).

What do you want us to tell you ? Compare apples with oranges ? Hard to do !!!

What are your goals for your system ? It seems that you already have DD subs, do you like them, or do you want something more ...musical ?

Good luck

OP, Let's do it that way : the N3 is an all out spl sub (even if some use it for daily music), and the SMD is mainly for music (but can get really loud).

What do you want us to tell you ? Compare apples with oranges ? Hard to do !!!

What are your goals for your system ? It seems that you already have DD subs, do you like them, or do you want something more ...musical ?

Good luck

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure how to word my response so lets start with this:

What makes one more for SPL or music?

And if they are that different, then what about the N2?

Oh and don't worry about my setup just yet. I have a couple more plans with what I have before getting new stuff. :)

Edited by OPry

If it was me, competing / burping: n3, daily loud music: smd.

This is just my opinion, not fact. I haven't modeled anything, I haven't heard the n3s..., even if I had, you can't compare them with one in vehicle a and another in vehicle b, and the list goes on and on.

Take a step back and think for a second, your asking a very complex question that relies on many many variables, and your asking a bunch of people on a forum what they think, everyone is just going to guess for the most part.

Lets see what all effects spl: vehicle & cabin characteristics, electrical supply, amplifiers, window orientations, enclosure volume, enclosure tuning, enclosure type, driver firing position, port positions, port area, etc.

"Well I've heard 2 15" smds and they hit 151db"

"Oh yeah, well I've heard one 18" n3 hit 150db"

"Hey I've heard one 18" smd beat both those, it hit 152db"

^That is meaningless, measuring something with far too many variables to accurately come to a conclusion.

Both drivers are made by the same great people. The decision is yours to figure out.

The N2 has less motor force, thus a more flat response, it sounds better daily. The N3 has a much stronger motor, it will peak hard right around tuning. The Supergauss response is closer to the N2, but with more output.

Its fascinating how much detail goes into designing each sub... So hard to judge by which one looks louder or just basic opinions.