OPry

Fi BTL N3 vs. AA SMD

just get the smd if you can afford it and able to power it correctly and have optimum size box and get the 18 more cone area and......

:peepwall:

I own an SMD and wouldnt personally recommend it for SPL oriented applications .....the SMD is one of those subs thats gets louder the lower you tune it .

This thread is useless, he doesn't has a question and in my opinion i think he isn't going to buy any of them.

It's like asking which car is better, a ferrari or a bentley?

This thread is useless, he doesn't has a question and in my opinion i think he isn't going to buy any of them.

It's like asking which car is better, a ferrari or a bentley?

Don't say things like that. If decide to buy something then I just save up and get it. Out of my price range would be something like the DD Z but if I was just dying to get one, then I would.

Why in gods name would you pay 1500 bucks for a sub that locks up at 18mm ?

:)

Because xmax does not necessarily mean SPL...lol

Say we can obtain 5.5 cubes or so, which 18 would prefer this volume. Obviously these drivers are so different that it's hard to even compare. Im starting to think the n3 would better suit oprys goals. Also can the peak be eq'd out then unleashed for comps? I need to do some modeling to compare, but I'd like to ask other people's opinion as well.

Say we can obtain 5.5 cubes or so, which 18 would prefer this volume. Obviously these drivers are so different that it's hard to even compare. Im starting to think the n3 would better suit oprys goals. Also can the peak be eq'd out then unleashed for comps? I need to do some modeling to compare, but I'd like to ask other people's opinion as well.

Yes a peak can be eq'd down and back up to 0.

At 37 hz and 5.5 cubes teh n3 is only giving a 2 db peak at ~38 hz. The graph shows that its even flatter than my Bl :WTFBubble:

You did something wrong. I should say that sounds wrong, I've only modeled the n2

At 37 hz and 5.5 cubes teh n3 is only giving a 2 db peak at ~38 hz. The graph shows that its even flatter than my Bl :WTFBubble:

..that's why modeling woofers with excessive motor force yields the same result as peeing in the wind.

..unless you want pee in your face, you are wasting your time.

:suicide-santa:

..that's why modeling woofers with excessive motor force yields the same result as peeing in the wind.

..unless you want pee in your face, you are wasting your time.

:suicide-santa:

Not a fan of piss in my face so i guess ill stray from the model, it seems eqing the peak out would be a solution for daily listening as well lending the abililty to perform great in the lanes, but i could be wrong.

Edited by trod2902

This came across my mind at one point but wasn't sure if it would work. I guess it's something to look into.

Would anybody know of a good eq that could be used for this?

You aren't going to get the peak unless you have the power to shift the Qts...

Which actually yields a 'saddle shape' in the response curve, which makes a 'dip' instead of a peak. The "Peak" is split between two peaks and a dip...

You get a monster peak out of a woofer with a higher Qts and less motor force believe it or not.

:eek5wavey:

SMD is hands down the best woofer for a high powered musical and daily driving scenario.

I know I have a hard time explaining things but is my head that messed up that nobody understands me? :suicide-santa:

I feel so alone... :ehh:

Lets try this again. lol

Forget my vehicle and your vehicle.

Forget my amps and your amps.

Forget everything.

Take the N3.

Build the best system you can for it with whatever application you think.

Now take the SMD and do the same thing. (Can be the same or different appication)

Compare.

Give details.

Give your opinion.

????

Profit

SMD :peepwall: