phresh

Sub Box Tuning

I was bored so I went & picked up 2 12s from a flea market this past weekend to experiment with. Made my first box throughout this week & tuned it to 32hz. If I wanted to tune it to 30hz would I add or cut off some wood to the end of the ports behind the subs? I can do the math but need a starting point. Also another separate question, would more port area equal a lower tuning or does it depend on the box?

That is going to be way too low for fleabag subs. In general I am thoroughly surprised at how low people think they are supposed to tune. Regularly it is not beneficial.

More port area while retaining the same tuning would help considerably.

And I agree I wouldn't go lower with crappy subs. Build a big efficient box with a lot of port area tuned to ~34

What kind of woofers?

It all depends on what frequencies your vehicle will peak at.

Plus is your goal SPL or listening to music?

Tuning low will most likely not do well in comps unless you are doing a very high powered system.

My enclosure is tuned at 28hz. and my truck install peaks at 32hz.

In my case it's not really ideal for trying to win a DB Drag.

With cheaper subs I would not try to tune them low due to over excursion which will cause the subs to bottom out.

Larger port area generally reduces mach percentage which has an effect on the "huffing" sound produced from the port.

It also has an effect on the actual resistance the sub sees while trying to hit each individual wave cycle produced by each freq. note.

Longer ports will give you a lower tuning and shorter will give you a higher tuning.

Port area and port length go hand in hand as far as actual tuning.

Change the port area and the port length will change as well to keep the same desired tuning.

Thanks for the answers. They are Pioneer TS-W309D4s. For 50 each they perform great lol. They are now in a 5cuft box @ 32hz. Was wondering what they sound like @ 30hz but I guess I had a decent box as is. You think they would perform better in a 4 or 5cuft @ 34hz? The recommended area is 4 but I like a little bigger boxes.

I don't care for sq at all plus they're in a big trunk. Only listen to rap & listening to rap highs give me a headache

Edited by phresh

Thanks for the answers. They are Pioneer TS-W309D4s. For 50 each they perform great lol. They are now in a 5cuft box @ 34hz. Was wondering what they sound like @ 30hz but I guess I had a decent box as is. You think they would perform better in a 4cuft @ 32hz? That's the recommended area area but I like a little bigger boxes.

I don't care for sq at all plus they're in a big trunk. Only listen to rap & listening to rap highs give me a headache

Those aren't THAT bad, honestly I thought you were going to say much worse. Tune a bit higher and I think you'll be happier.

Thanks for the answers. They are Pioneer TS-W309D4s. For 50 each they perform great lol. They are now in a 5cuft box @ 34hz. Was wondering what they sound like @ 30hz but I guess I had a decent box as is. You think they would perform better in a 4cuft @ 32hz? That's the recommended area area but I like a little bigger boxes.

Those aren't THAT bad, honestly I thought you were going to say much worse. Tune a bit higher and I think you'll be happier.

Yea I'm gonna try the 5cuft @ 34hz. My very first subs were an older model & I loved them. The best budget sub