Sign in to follow this  
SteveCasbeer

Keep the W6v2's or...

In light of keeping this from heading down the path of a this vs that thread I will just get right down to it. Currently I have two JL W6v2's sealed powered by a Sundown sax1200d. I originally bought the W6's from my buddy for one hell of a deal (2 subs in a box for $250). I originally told him that if and when he got back into car audio I would be willing to sell them back to him. As great as the W6's sound I am looking for more output while using the same amp. Currently I have a sealed box. About 1.25 after sub displacement and 9 inches for mounting depth.

I know everyone wants loud bass while sounding great at the same time, but is there a sub that will be louder on the same power in a sealed box as the W6's or should I tell my buddy to just go buy his own pair lol. Of course I started lookin at the Sundown SA-12's or the DCONs. Im just not sure if either will give me what im looking for given the enclosure and power im staying with. I do not mind going ported but the box would have to be custom for this shitty trunk my sentra has, but if I cant then so be it. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Steve

Edited by casbeer87

Why not try porting your current subs! Follow JL specs here. You should gain more output while still retaining the sq.

What size are the W6? Any chance you could sell them back to him and upgrade to a larger size?

Why not try porting your current subs! Follow JL specs here. You should gain more output while still retaining the sq.

Hmm porting W6's would be interesting. I would def. need a box built for my trunk though for that.

What size are the W6? Any chance you could sell them back to him and upgrade to a larger size?

Sorry I forgot to mention that. They are the 12" subs.

I have no say in what ever deal you have worked out with you'd friend, so no comment there.

I would try a ported enclosure, it will be a noticible difference.

I have no say in what ever deal you have worked out with you'd friend, so no comment there.

I would try a ported enclosure, it will be a noticible difference.

My friend and I dont specifically have a deal. I can keep the W6's of course. If I choose to go ported I would rather go with a single 12. I have only heard good things about the ICON and the XCON so those may be options. Im just not sure it would be easy to design a dual ported box in the sentra with as small as the trunk is. If someone wants to have a go at it and make a mock up design I will be able to get my trunk measurements later today after im done with work.

I think a single 12 will be the easiest route. I have been wrong plenty of times before haha.

Sell him the 12's and get the 13w6, run it (them) ported. I am running a 13w6 in 2.1^3ft tuned to 31hz. If you have room two13w6 would be very nice :P

Sell him the 12's and get the 13w6, run it (them) ported. I am running a 13w6 in 2.1^3ft tuned to 31hz. If you have room two13w6 would be very nice :P

I did a google search and I have read several posts about where people have used 4th order boxes for the JL's and have been having great results (or so they say). I am on the very far end of not knowing much about boxes except the obvious differences between them. Let alone designing one. I dont even know if I would have the room for one either haha.

There are some very good box designers on this forum. Try to contact them :Bromo (Eclectic design) or Ramdesigns, for example. both are SSA members.

The designs are cheap and worth every penny !

If you cankeep the 2 w6 : keep them and port them in your trunk.

If you need to sell them, get the money and come back here to have some good choices. Maybe you can fit a single 15" in your trunk ? Look at the Xcon, or at the Incriminator Audio sale !

Do you know what kind of space you have to work with? You mentioned currently having a box that is 1.25 cubic feet, is that all the room you have to work with? Knowing how much space you have available would help out a lot. Your budget would also be helpful information.

I would port the w6's. It's unrealistic to drop new subs in a sealed box off of the same power and notice much of a difference. Assuming you're talking about two new 12's.

Do you know what kind of space you have to work with? You mentioned currently having a box that is 1.25 cubic feet, is that all the room you have to work with? Knowing how much space you have available would help out a lot. Your budget would also be helpful information.

Just got off of work and measured the trunk. These are max measurements with barely any room to spare in the trunk. Trunk space is always nice but a great system is worth the sacrifice :woot:

Im willing to spend quite a bit on a single speaker ($400 or so) if I choose to get rid of the W6v2's along with a nice box. The box is what makes the sub so I will spend what I need to on that.

Height: 15.5 inches

Width: 40 inches

Depth: 27.5 inches

I would port the w6's. It's unrealistic to drop new subs in a sealed box off of the same power and notice much of a difference. Assuming you're talking about two new 12's.

I agree. I found it difficult to believe a different speaker in the same air space and same power would sound much different (sealed at least). I like the W6's a lot and do not have a problem keeping them and working around those and the power I already have.

Edited by casbeer87

You have plenty of room to port them with the dimensions you have given. Those measurements seem huge for a Sentra though.

It looks like you've just measured the inside of your trunk. You have to account for the trunk opening. Your trunk might be that large, but if the openings smaller you can't fit the enclosure in there. Given those dimensions you should be able to fit a pair of 12's or a 15" in a ported enclosure, unless your trunks opening is very small. Focus on building a good ported box. If designed correctly you should be able to attain a response as desirable to you as that of the JL's and an increase in output.

You have plenty of room to port them with the dimensions you have given. Those measurements seem huge for a Sentra though.

I just re-measured everything. It does seem big but that is pretty much the whole trunk haha. Here are some pics of the trunk and the current box that was in it.

0905111748a.jpg

0905111748.jpg

0905111747a.jpg

0905111747.jpg

Not sure if that helps anything.

Edit: Bottom of the trunk opening is 32 inches wide. Toward the top of the opening it widens up to 39 inches.

Edited by casbeer87

when sliding the box through the opening, as long as, you keep the height close to 13.5" and the width close to 32" (to fit the lower part of the opening) you can fit a box in that is almost as deep as the entire trunk (front to back). my bro's sentra had a center seatbelt thing hanging from the rear deck which, along with the wierd ass floor towards the front of the trunk, limited height to about 14.5".

when sliding the box through the opening, as long as, you keep the height close to 13.5" and the width close to 32" (to fit the lower part of the opening) you can fit a box in that is almost as deep as the entire trunk (front to back). my bro's sentra had a center seatbelt thing hanging from the rear deck which, along with the wierd ass floor towards the front of the trunk, limited height to about 14.5".

Yea the sentra does have a weird slant to it as it goes toward the seats. Thank you very much for the info though. What type of box does he have? Ported I assume? Also what subs is he running?