Disarmer

Update on my subwoofer?

Howdy,

I returned my defective subwoofer a while back (It was originally order #I-16613/00). I'm just looking for an update on where my subwoofer might be. It was delivered to you guys via UPS on August 26, so I'm just curious if it has been fixed, or maybe if it is on it's way back to me. (Only posted in the forum because you guys seem to respond here much faster than emails)

Thanks

Haven't had a chance to call you yet. Will try to today because we need to go over your install.

Thanks for the call. Just threw an old subwoofer in that box and it works just fine (Still had everything setup from the install so it's installed the same way as the SSD was). Let it play Bass, I Love You to see if I could find any leaks and the thing seems sealed up well. There were no leaks around the terminal cup, no leaks at any of the box seams, and no leaks around the mounting ring that I could find. I have no idea what could have caused that damage to the subwoofer, but the box doesn't seem to be leaking. Is it possible that it could have been damaged in shipping? (I don't know a whole lot about the internals of a subwoofer so I don't know if something like that could have happened from someone maybe dropping it during shipping or something)

Edited by Disarmer

Thanks for the call. Just threw an old subwoofer in that box and it works just fine (Still had everything setup from the install so it's installed the same way as the SSD was). Let it play Bass, I Love You to see if I could find any leaks and the thing seems sealed up well. There were no leaks around the terminal cup, no leaks at any of the box seams, and no leaks around the mounting ring that I could find. I have no idea what could have caused that damage to the subwoofer, but the box doesn't seem to be leaking. Is it possible that it could have been damaged in shipping? (I don't know a whole lot about the internals of a subwoofer so I don't know if something like that could have happened from someone maybe dropping it during shipping or something)

well i think you gave it away when you said u were playin bass i love you... i know that track and it gets nasty lowww like what 17hz i swear couple spots its like 7hz

Spiders don't pop on the last roll on the very outside of the spider because of UPS...

The cone has moved enough to where it hit the top of the spider landing as I told you on the phone, something is way wrong..some where.

I've never had anybody pop the last roll on the outside of the spider, even with BTL's. The second and third are common for subsonic issues..but not the last one. It takes something really jacked up to pop that one.

well i think you gave it away when you said u were playin bass i love you... i know that track and it gets nasty lowww like what 17hz i swear couple spots its like 7hz

lol....jesse i was thinkin like 5hz

I played that on a different subwoofer to test the box a few days ago. I picked a low song so I'd get lots of air movement and would be able to find a leak easily if one existed.

Spiders don't pop on the last roll on the very outside of the spider because of UPS...

The cone has moved enough to where it hit the top of the spider landing as I told you on the phone, something is way wrong..some where.

I've never had anybody pop the last roll on the outside of the spider, even with BTL's. The second and third are common for subsonic issues..but not the last one. It takes something really jacked up to pop that one.

You told me yourself that you guys can't even do that with your huge crown amps and the sub in free-air for hours on end. I hate to be a pain, but there's no way I did that in less than 3 seconds with hardly over 1000 watts (and not even getting close to giving it that much power with how low I was playing it), even if the box was leaky (I can find no leaks in it).

lol....jesse i was thinkin like 5hz

yeah actually i think your right

I played that on a different subwoofer to test the box a few days ago. I picked a low song so I'd get lots of air movement and would be able to find a leak easily if one existed.

You told me yourself that you guys can't even do that with your huge crown amps and the sub in free-air for hours on end. I hate to be a pain, but there's no way I did that in less than 3 seconds with hardly over 1000 watts (and not even getting close to giving it that much power with how low I was playing it), even if the box was leaky (I can find no leaks in it).

You did something wrong dude, I'm going to stack a bunch of spiders on it to keep it from moving that far so hopefully you won't have a problem with it..

Here's a video of a BTL 12..wide open on the crown, look how much it moves. Your sub had to move to the point where the outside roll of the spider locks up, which is right before the neck joint and the inner roll of the spiders hits the bump in the top plate and goes "Clang".

Well I don't know how it happened, but I've done 4 installs now and never had any issues with my subwoofers (2 prior installs were in this same box). Hopefully after the sub is fixed I won't have any more problems. Maybe it was just a freak incident, because I honestly can't think of any way I did that much damage with the equipment I have (My father also watched me install it and couldn't figure out why it started making that sound). However, I'm really looking forward to finally getting some Fi bass :popcorn:

It doesn't take a genius to know that packaging in that manner is unacceptable.

Love the video.

Holy crap that sub is jacked. I hope that wasn't the sub you sent back.Hopefully the packaging on my subs coming overseas are not like that. I would hate to get my 18's and they look like that.

Holy crap that sub is jacked. I hope that wasn't the sub you sent back.Hopefully the packaging on my subs coming overseas are not like that. I would hate to get my 18's and they look like that.

Have no worries man, Fi will not package your subs like that, there will be plenty of foam and wooden bracing (mine was 2x4's and plywood) this guy sent his sub back to Fi like that.

Incorrect. I sent my subwoofer back in the original packaging. He was just using that subwoofer as an example of excursion I believe.

Incorrect. I sent my subwoofer back in the original packaging. He was just using that subwoofer as an example of excursion I believe.

I meant the owner of the sub in the video

Well glad to know thats not the way they ship them. If Nick scrolling this thread has there been any updates on the 18" baskets? Not to thread jack or anything.

Been over a month since the sub arrived at Fi and still nothing. Nick... can you please update me?