Jd377

How many batteries do you need/use?..

I have a DC power H.O. alt and big 3 done with a kinetik hc1400 up front and a hc600 right next to amp with 4 awg connecting to my SAX-1200d and yeah my voltage is fine MOST of the time but it seems like on CERTAIN random songs with a perfect note my voltage still gets awfully close to 12v occasionally.. HOW many batts you guys running and on how many watts rms you pushin?

Since Im thinking about upgrading to an Xcon 18 > over my current 18 ssd, I will most likely be upgrading my amp to a 2000rms amp or something close to 2k like AQ/AP/Hifonics and Im wondering if adding a battery or 3 will help make a difference because Im NOT upgrading alts again.... 1200rms seems whimpy when most of you push 2k-3k daily.. So i just wanted advice on if adding a mini battery bank really does help keep my voltage up?

My voltage never gets TOO low, and its only like every 10-15 seconds that it hits a random note and drops to like 12.5 ( but im afraid it will stay closer to the 12s a lot more often with a 2k watt amp) and then jumps back to like 13.6-14 for most of the regular bass. Usually run like 14.4-14.7v with stereo off.

Again I have a kinetik hc1400 up front and a hc600 next to amp, I know the hc600 is a baby but its better than nothing. So will adding like a hc2000 or 2 hc2000's to the back help a lot? ( OR ANY name brand I dont care, XS/Kinetik either or.. No not optima lol)

Edited by Jd377

I would almost venture that the HC600 is the choke point in the system, as it has a smaller reserve and that 1200 is most likely killing it pretty good.

currently I am running 5k (2-saz 2500) on a h/o alt (180amp~220amp haven't clamp it yet) and I have 2-NSB90's in the trunk. my voltage holds around 13.1 full tilt and I have the big 3 also

Hmm yeah that is true since I put the hc600 right next to a 1200 watt sucking amp that might just make it drop for a second or 2 just because it holds so little juice and jumps back up when my alt quickly refills it.

I just know that I dont want to run into any problems if I put in a 2-2.5k watt amp.

When was the last time you charged your batteries? what kind of power wire upgrades have you done/where at? Possible adding a - run for the alt to battery and between your batteries may help.

Also, my whole trunk is full with my 18" subs box and there is just a tiny space above the left tire well where I can shove my hc600.... So if I added a mini battery bank or just 1-2 big batterys near the amp, I was planning on setting them on the floor behind drivers seat( my amp is actually sitting in the rear seat that is behind the driver seat, so the batts would be right next to the amp, just on the floor..... But I wasn't sure of a good place to ground my batteries if a set them on the floor behind drivers seat??? Anyone else have to put batteries in rear seating area before like ppl with trucks or small cars like my civic hatch? I just don't know what to do for a ground for 1-2 big batteries or med sized

I have done the big 3 in 4awg, I would upgrade to 0awg when I upgrade to 2k+ amp. I usually charge them at least once a month or 2 months. But when my music isn't on it usually stays about 14.6v on my meter

Oh and just one run of 4awg from front to rear batt, which i was told was plenty for 1200w which I would upgrade if I get new amp to 0awg

Edited by Jd377

I would look to upgrade the grounds I said previously to 1/0 as well. I think the upgrade in wire will help a little, hopefully! Between batteries i would put 1/0 no matter the power (amps) being run.

Alright I'll try to find some good 0awg

Alright I'll try to find some good 0awg

I've been eyeballin' this.. About $12 cheaper than weldingsupply shipped for me. I asked the seller and he said the brand is Prestolite.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-Foot-1-0-Welding-Battery-Cable-Made-USA-/270498942138?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D2621149316178557627

Still though is 170a alt and my 2 little batts going to be enough for 2-2.5k I dont know anyone locally with that much that I have seen in person to know how many batts or size or batts needed to maintain good voltage while running a huge amp like that.

ya I would most definitely up grade the wiring between the two batteries and the big 3 also should always be done in 1/0 or bigger. sure 4awg might be enough but if it was you wouldn't be on here asking lol! but then again what is needed is always hit and miss and trail and error.

Sure I could tell you toss a xs3100 in there and be done with it but you may find that a 3100 isn't enough.

for your next setup I would get a bigger rear battery( say a kinetik 2400 or XS3100 or something in that size), do the big 3 in 1/0, do two runs of 1/0 from front to back battery, also what size is your alt?

then once all that is done report back to us your findings!

What are the specs on your dc alt?

Your hc600 is better then nothing, can't imagine it making it worse, so keep it in.

Do you have any other amps besides the sax1200? Anything else that draws a fair amount of amperage?

Nope, I don't even have rear speakers ATM I havent for like a year. No other amps. I have the 170a alt from dc power. Like 110@ idle I believe? Maybe 120 and 170 max

If I got 1-2 hc 2000 or 2400 or anything, can I ground them to the driver seat bracket or what? Because I would place them on the floor behind the driver seat. I might take pics late tonight or tomorrow when I get a chance to show inside and where they would go to help

Nope, I don't even have rear speakers ATM I havent for like a year. No other amps. I have the 170a alt from dc power. Like 110@ idle I believe? Maybe 120 and 170 max

Okay, if your revving the engine to say 2000 rpm, with stereo at full tilt, whats your voltage?

Do you remember what your stock alt was rated for?

Just doesn't sound right. I'm currently using a stock alt (mine is a complete piece of shit) and with a single xs d1200(pretty small battery), with my saz1500d at full tilt, my voltage will drop to low 12s.

Perhaps your honda draws more current then my volvo for the stock electrical, and your batteries need a good charge?

If I got 1-2 hc 2000 or 2400 or anything, can I ground them to the driver seat bracket or what? Because I would place them on the floor behind the driver seat. I might take pics late tonight or tomorrow when I get a chance to show inside and where they would go to help

You can ground them like you would an amplifier. Just make sure the contact is clean and the grounding spot is actually going to the chassis / frame.

My stock alt was crappp idle voltage was like 12.3 with music off before I added batts and new alt now sits about 14.6.

Okay, if your revving the engine to say 2000 rpm, with stereo at full tilt, whats your voltage?

Do you remember what your stock alt was rated for?

Just doesn't sound right. I'm currently using a stock alt (mine is a complete piece of shit) and with a single xs d1200(pretty small battery), with my saz1500d at full tilt, my voltage will drop to low 12s.

Perhaps your honda draws more current then my volvo for the stock electrical, and your batteries need a good charge?

Fulll til if revving probably 13.1ish

Fulll til if revving probably 13.1ish

That sounds better, I would definitely get some more batteries, biggest ones you can get since you plan on upgrading power soon.

Normally I would suggest xs power, but since you already have kinetik...

That's on the hardest bass possible for my tuning drop to13.1, if not revving every so often randomly hits close to 12

There is no finite answer. You're going to have to try one thing then see where you're at. If you still need or want more go to the next step. I would do the wire first, then get another battery in the rear if that's not enough. Then upgrade to XS if that isn't enough :bigok:

my setup is in my sig, stock alt, is rated at 160, so does maybe 90 at idle. I have no dimming, full tilt voltage at rear battery never drops below 12.5 at idle, revving, it sits at 12.9 cranked up. Definitely do your big 3 in 1/0. 170 amp alt puts that 4 gauge as your block in the pipeline right now, also do at least 1 run of 1/0 to the rear, I did 2 cause I'm an overkill kind of guy. Short of you having the kinetic already I would definitely recommend an XS, also may want to charge a little more often, even when i'm gone on the road, the batteries are charged every 2 weeks right now, and if I've been beating on it, I'll charge them once a week. This winter they will be stored inside and charged weekly. Goodluck man, I love my xcon 18, selling it along with my 1500d for a new setup, will be putting it on the forum more than likely in the next few days when I get home.