Jaker89

Time to upgrade

Time to upgrade. Think I am going to do 2 SMD's now so the Mayhems need to go. Since this is a forum for Ascendant Audio I might as well let that be known here. The mayhems are Fing amazing, but as alot of people in the car audio field see....there is always louder. lol.

That being said...whats the price on 2 18inch SMD's and where would a recommended place be to sell the 2 18 inch mayhems that I currently have?

I personally would try to sell the Mayhems here on SSA. You don't see them for sale often. You can always do local craigslist as well. I personally like to sell local so I don't have to deal with shipping. Just another process to go wrong and another potential headache. That being said, you might be able to sell them here much quicker. :)

They are posted on here. Let's get these a new home so I can start my new build ASAP!

Here you go

Regular Price: $1,099.99

Special Price: $899.99

Add to Wishlist

Add to Compare

Quick Overview

4" ceramic coated coil

Super-Gauss motor technology

EMB flux linearization

Dyna-cool system

7 spider pack

Tri-Point suspension

Hybrid foam surround

Canti-Mount system

Foamed core dustcap

32mm Xmax

3500W power handling

Small ported applications

Use code SMD for 100buck of of that. (not sure if its still valid)

I was going to do that but my rice car wont be able to take the awesomness

Thank you. Once these mayhems sell then I will be jumping on 2 of those I think.

You must be trying to flat out destroy that Pontiac.

Yeah for the most part. It is taking it like a champ though and im happy.

Actually check with a local dealer, it could be worth the time.

I'm just saying.

And honestly, SMD's aren't going to a huge difference from the Mayhems, minus the power handling. So unless your planning on adding power, a simple swap out might not yield in a noticeable difference.

I am adding another crescendo BC3500d and going to run them off 2 200 amp alternators and 6 group 34 batteries. 7k to the 2 SMD's will be vicious.

That is if someone will buy my 2 mayhems.

I have 1 SMD 15" in my Grand Prix and it BANGS!!!!!!!! If you get them new, they DO take a few weeks to break in , they will get louder EVERY day!!!

You found a dual alt bracket for a Pontiac? What kind?

I am adding another crescendo BC3500d and going to run them off 2 200 amp alternators and 6 group 34 batteries. 7k to the 2 SMD's will be vicious.

That is if someone will buy my 2 mayhems.

I think I'd actually buy the amp and try it on the Mayhem's.

I really don't see a SMD being far superior with ~3500rms each, except maybe in the SQ department, but at that level, SQ really shouldn't matter that much.

But I'm just saying, just because its a "bigger" sub, doesn't mean it will be louder. Sure, it'll handle the power a little better cause of the 4inch coil. But 3500RMS on a Mayhem isn't really going past its limits.

Just want you to be prepared just in case you happen to upgrade but the output decreased or stayed the same. Not saying that is what's gonna happen, but it is possible I suppose.

I am a little worried about throwing 7k at 2 mayhems to be completely honest. I would love to try it, but if I hurt them then I am out money. I don't have a oscope so I can't set my amp gains perfect. I just have to tune by ear for the most part. I've gotten pretty good at it by using different tracks for the different tuning options.

You can tune them by your eyes and nose and know if they are under to much stress or not.

As in if they are moving to much and or you can smell the coils. But if you just barely smell them, it's not going to damage them.

I'm just trying to throw out a suggestion. Hate to see somebody spend the extra money possibly not to gain much.

But I'm sure if you keep the gains really low, and tried them, it shouldn't hurt them.

Honestly, setting gains by a oscope doesn't mean you won't damage the subs either. Regardless, you should know in less than 30 seconds if they can't handle em or not.

Just my opinion, if your just looking for new subs then don't worry about it. But if your looking for more SPL, try what you got. Then decide.