Haakon

Volkswagen Lupo build log

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-902

These are the drivers :) I find the rated power handling quite amusing, I have used them with 10x that power and they handle it like a champ :P I can even cross them over at 80hz without them sounding stressed at high levels, there are a bargain basically. But they DO need some hefty eq action to sound their best, especially at a offaxis mounting like this.

Wow awesome gear, and very impressive work. :fing34:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-902

These are the drivers :) I find the rated power handling quite amusing, I have used them with 10x that power and they handle it like a champ :P I can even cross them over at 80hz without them sounding stressed at high levels, there are a bargain basically. But they DO need some hefty eq action to sound their best, especially at a offaxis mounting like this.

:morepower1: Awesomeness. Thanks!! :drink40:

Just throwing in some random pictures of the rest of the car and what has been done. When I got it, it was completely stock:

23112009006.jpg

First mod to the car was coilover suspension, helped a lot :)

04072010142.jpg

Maybe a little too low for crappy roads like on the island I live:

04072010146.jpg

Porsche wheels on, with pretty agressive camber ;)

CIMG1986.jpg

CIMG1973.jpg

Wrapped the roof in carbonfiber vinyl:

01122010331.jpg

Also did the hood;

IMG_0552.jpg

but did not think it looked quite right, too much black on the front of the car, it kinda took away from the black roof

IMG_0557.jpg

Took it off, and got blacked out headlights instead, with tinted indicators and carbonwrapped grill

IMG_1129.jpg

Wanted something different after a while, so the vinyl on the grill came off and the indicators were tinted yellow instead:

IMG_1375.jpg

car looks great man. love the looks of it. big fan of large systems in small economical cars.

Really diggin' the car. Coil overs really did help a lot! Plan to do any other mods to it other than the system?

Not so much any car mods, I will tint the windows to hide the stereo, kinda hard to do that othervise since the box will be just over the windowline :) Other than that maybe a full vinyl wrap?

The car has done 400,000km or about 250,000 miles now, and is still getting close to 70mpg, so its just a cheap moneysaver. Saving up to buy a small delivery van for my graphics business, something like a brand new VW Caddy:

2011-volkswagen-caddy-racer-front-angle-view.jpg

Edited by Haakon

Its past midnight, and bedtime here in Norway, so just throwing out a pic of a part of the subwoofer box before I head off to bed ;)

IMG_1578.jpg

Edited by Haakon

thats awesome looking. great work there

Jumping a little back and forth here, but here is some of the most recent work, I'm still building on this box for my fully loaded BLT N2 18".

Box is just under 8 cubic feet before port/woofer displacement, so a bit over 7 net.

IMG_1548.jpg

Using dual 6" aeroport, just checking if it all will fit on the baffle :) Making the baffle dual later on after box is installed. Have to make it at the same time as the beauty panels to integrate it into the interior.

IMG_1551.jpg

Back wall will be a curved piece of 10mm acrylic, so marking up the curve to cut with a jigsaw:

IMG_1554.jpg

Made templates in adobe illustrator, and cut them in vinyl, ready to be placed on top and bottom of box:

IMG_1553.jpg

Spraypainted over the vinyl and removed it, making a permanent line to cut by:

IMG_1555.jpg

Painted the inside of the box in metallic silver, like the car. And added some custom FI graphics in vinyl on the bottom :)

IMG_1558.jpg

Ports not cut to size yet, so don't worry about that

IMG_1559.jpg

Dropped in the N2 to see how it looked, it actually looks tiny in this box :)

IMG_1572.jpg

IMG_1570.jpg

Top view (looks like mickey mouse)

IMG_1568.jpg

Ports cut to size for a 32hz tuning (or 21hz if I block one of them ;) )

IMG_1575.jpg

IMG_1576.jpg

Its first and foremost for strength. I have mounted it to the box now, and I had to warm it up and use plenty of force to get it down in the middle for screwing it in place. Can't see that panel flexing when curved like that.

It also looks great, but thats just a bonus :)

IMG_1591.jpg

IMG_1592.jpg

When lit:

IMG_1594.jpg

IMG_1595.jpg

IMG_1596.jpg

that box is amazing looking. love your ingenuity int this car

Thanks :) It's my first time taking a build to a "show" level of sorts, meaning spending a good deal of money just for good looks. Trying to make it strong and fuctional at the same time.

My new sub amp has arrived at the post office, picking it up in the morning :) SPL Dynamics ICE-3500D mono amp, 0.5ohm stable which is perfect for my D1 sub, rated at 3200W RMS at 0,5ohm. Ordered it with a remote gain control for easy adjusting from the drivers seat.

SPL%20Dynamics%20ICE-3500D.jpeg

So, those ports are only taking up about .5 cu. ft.?

Well, let's do the math:

6" round port equals 182cm2, 40cm long = 7280cm3 or 7,28 litres. Times two for two ports equals 14,56 litres = 0.51 cu.ft.

So yeah.

Thats a pretty awesome box. :fing34: Love the leds

Its first and foremost for strength. I have mounted it to the box now, and I had to warm it up and use plenty of force to get it down in the middle for screwing it in place. Can't see that panel flexing when curved like that.

It also looks great, but thats just a bonus :)

It's amazing what just a little curve does for adding rigidity thats for sure. Well done.

Good work!!!! :fing34:

So yesterday night I installed the N2 and the new SPL Dynamics amp and OH MY GOD!! Not run in, not set up gain properly, and wired the sub in series to get a 2ohm load since my new alt has not arrived yet, and my current setup can't support the amp at 0,5. But still, that sub is some of the most impressing things I've heard! Can't wait to have it properly run in, and about triple the power I'm now running!

A few pics, trying it with a single baffle for now, but will maybe add a second one while I'm building panels to extend out to the sides of the trunk and to the side windows. Should look okay when finished :)

IMG_1856.jpg

IMG_1858.jpg