Haakon

Volkswagen Lupo build log

That looks so sick! Super jealous right now. :wub:

That is absolutly gorgeous

Your ingenuity to curve the plexi is priceless.

Wow, awesome, but if i could make a suggestion, i would make something to cover up the sealant job on the plexi

Looks rad.

Thank you all for the comments :)

Tried it on the Termlab today (on music only), did just over 142 with an amp that puts out just about 1000w now, fused with a 100A fuse. That power will triple when I rewire it to 0,5ohm when I get my new 180A alt and more batteries. Did not push it either since its just been hooked up for the first time, I'll give it some time to run in first :)

What I can tell you is that both window handles fell off today, and they are screwed in place :) Screwed them back on with some loctite, hopefully they will stay in place a bit longer :)

And the sealant will be covered with a panel that extends to the sides and lower part of the trunk opening, will also make panels to extend to the sides on top. Maybe add a plexiglass top with a cutout for sub and ports later on. I trimmed the headliner in dark grey alcantara, maybe I'll use the same on the covers for the box.

Took this pic in the car today, it has now travelled a distance farther than the distance to the moon! :) 400,000KM

IMG_1866.jpg

Thank you all for the comments :)

Tried it on the Termlab today (on music only), did just over 142 with an amp that puts out just about 1000w now, fused with a 100A fuse. That power will triple when I rewire it to 0,5ohm when I get my new 180A alt and more batteries. Did not push it either since its just been hooked up for the first time, I'll give it some time to run in first :)

What I can tell you is that both window handles fell off today, and they are screwed in place :) Screwed them back on with some loctite, hopefully they will stay in place a bit longer :)

And the sealant will be covered with a panel that extends to the sides and lower part of the trunk opening, will also make panels to extend to the sides on top. Maybe add a plexiglass top with a cutout for sub and ports later on. I trimmed the headliner in dark grey alcantara, maybe I'll use the same on the covers for the box.

Took this pic in the car today, it has now travelled a distance farther than the distance to the moon! :) 400,000KM

IMG_1866.jpg

thats awesome bro,

From what you say the sub obviously boogie but what is the SQ like for a non SQ driver? How did the two 6" aero's work for you at the end any noise coming from them?

Well, I hope there is noise coming from them, that's what ports are for lol.

Love that you have the flares for the ports color matched to the car!! Nice touch!

The whole build is amazing bro!!! :fing34: :fing34: :fing34: Love the Lupo and everything you've done to it... :drink40: :drink40:

When matched to the level of the components, the sound quality is actually really good! Off course the sub has so much more to give than the front speakers, so it needs to be turned down a great deal, but levelmatched and crossed over at 50hz/24db oct filter setting, it blends well with the midbass drivers. My previous sub in this car was a 90s Soundstream SPL160, which actually was one of the best SQ subs from that time, and is still highly regarded as a SQ sub, even though it was never marketed as one. Maybe that had a somewhat flatter response curve, this sub/box combo is pretty bottomheavy, but it still sounds great! Not at all boomy, very precise and effortless bass.

But when the level is turned up so the amps for both components and sub run out of steam at roughly the same time, all hell breaks loose! Its the first time I've seen wheels/tires on a car actually flex/vibrate from the system? The car is pretty well dampened, with 2-4 layers of Damplifier in about all of the car, including roof, so not much rattles, but doors, windshield, rear hatch and bumper -they all flex a substantial amount, and this is with about 1kw or so, the amp will put out about 3,2kw rms @0,5ohm..

No audible port noise from the seat, and the ports are pretty close and nothing in between them and the listening position. No real port noise when standing right over them from the back either, will see how it goes with more power? Looking good so far at least.

Just got some new rolls of wrap vinyl from 3M:

IMG_1855.jpg

Should look like this when wrapped :)

img_0357.jpg

I applaud you for your patience and skill in wrapping that.

looking darn good man. love the work you've done to this "commuter car".

Looking good, how much practice have you had wrapping cars?

Damn!!! Not the color I would've chosen but I am VERY impressed with all of your work!

Thank you for the feedback! :) Always nice to hear what others think :)

Looking good, how much practice have you had wrapping cars?

Very little :) This is my second attempt, first one was my Cosmo 3-rotor 20B that I did a few years ago, that did not turn out great, haha :) Some imperfections on that, but looked great on the move ;)

But I have been into vinyl cutting and car graphics for almost 10years now, just not been into wrapping so much yet. Have done a few roofs and hoods in carbon fiber vinyl, but not whole cars.

IMG_0207.jpg

IMG_0211.jpg

IMG_0222.jpg

IMG_0234.jpg

Using really good vinyl this time though, maybe that is why it is easier :) 3M 1080 series car wrap vinyl:

IMG_1586.jpg

New amps for 2012! What you see here is 5 feet and 120lbs of class a/b power :D

Untitled-3-2.jpg

Also the wrap is (almost) done! Just photoshopped the sill to the vinyl colour because I have to do some work on them before wrapping. But its gonna look niiiice!

IMG1953-1.jpg

good job on the wrapping, nice equipment too :fing34:

I envy you for the amps :D

Very good choice :fing34:

Thanks for the comments guys :)

I actually had one Sony XM2000R from before, but I got such a sweet deal on the second one that I had to buy it! Also picked up the PPI PC6600 from the same seller, but I really don't need that so I might let it go..

Also looking into getting a company car for daily driving, so the Lupo can be used only for fun :)