Sign in to follow this  
rival904

First reveiw of the Toolmaker circle jig!

Nice tool, looks like it works better than some of the other tools on the market.

Thanks for posting the review, moving to review section. :)

This thing ready for primetime yet?

When you were cutting your circle, why did you make multiple passes instead of just one pass?

When you were cutting your circle, why did you make multiple passes instead of just one pass?

You are suppose to for couple reasons-

1- if you want to keep your bits lasting longer, you will make 2-3 passes per circle.

2- if using MDF, it helps prevent a fire if resistance keeps forming.

Very nice, alot sturdier than the Jasper. Might have to look into one once they are released!

1- if you want to keep your bits lasting longer, you will make 2-3 passes per circle.

I didn't know that, but makes perfect sense

To add onto this discussion, make sure you are using a Spiral Upcut bit as well, makes things a ton easier-

664252000012lg.jpg

They are around $20 at Lowes\Home Depot and wil cut some wood like butter.

Still use 2-3 passes with this bit, Carbide based, it will last a LOOOOOOOOONG time.

I didn't know that, but makes perfect sense

It also makes for a cleaner cut if you make several passes instead of trying to cut through .75" material in a single pass.

Anyways, guess I haven't experienced any of the negative remarks in that video with my Jasper jig :shrug: Seems like the Toolmaker would be nice as well though.

To add onto this discussion, make sure you are using a Spiral Upcut bit as well, makes things a ton easier-

664252000012lg.jpg

They are around $20 at Lowes\Home Depot and wil cut some wood like butter.

Still use 2-3 passes with this bit, Carbide based, it will last a LOOOOOOOOONG time.

Yep, that's the one I use. I need a new one though, messed it up trying to get it out of the chuck. Need my own router too, I used one from my job and it's not the greatest. Any suggestions? Edited by Loud n Clean

Yep, that's the one I use. I need a new one though, messed it up trying to get it out of the chuck. Need my own router too, I used one from my job and it's not the greatest. Any suggestions?

I use a Dewalt DW618B3. Badass router.

Tips: Use a down spiral bit, not an up spiral. Down spiral are better for plunging in MDF to prevent dust from flying up your nose and give a clean cut. Soak your bits in kerosene after use and "pick" them clean to make them last longer.