Sign in to follow this  
emfk

Trying to decide on the death penalty

I'm planning on starting a slow build over the winter.

I have a 2004 Celica, and I'm looking for starting with one 12", and moving onto two in the future. Budget isn't quite set, because most parts will be bought over the majority of winter. Goal is to be loud, but still decent sound. I'm not looking for competition spl, but I do plan on being loud and possibly entering some streetbass, but it's just a daily ground pounder with emphasis on getting loud.

My question is, is the death penalty for me? I know it's a cliche question, and I usually hate these threads, but I can't find many reviews. If I'm understanding, the death penalty gets loud, but still sounds pretty good. Of course, it's mainly build/ box dependent, but I'm planning on building to specs.

I'm basically just looking for some guidance or first hand experience with the death penalty. All I can find is people with walled off suv's and 4 18's.

So, help a brother out! I'm either going to get a dp on the 31st, so I don't miss out on the black and blue sale (what better time than now?) or, if there's something else I should look into, speak up! I'm definitely leaning toward the death penalty, and I'm pretty sure I'll be extremely happy seeing as I'm used to budget systems, and I plan on doing it right, and big this time around, but reassurance is always nice. The goal is to have the sub bought on the 31st, and then finally start on the box.

Better not wait until the 31st since September only has 30 days. :P I think you'll be very happy with the Death Penalty. How much power are you planning on running?

haha, good point. And I'm planning on running hopefully around 1500 to it. If I end up getting the death penalty, the sub will come first, followed by new 0 gauge and a new battery, and then the amp and box. Funds are a little slow right now, and the sale ends earlier than ideal. But hey, slow motion is better than no motion!

I'd go for it, you will never see these prices again.

my opinion is this sir. if your going to run a 1500 watt amp i would consider the death rows. the dp's are rated at 1500. considering all things and with the amount of power your wanting to start out with i think you would stand to get a lil more output out of them. on the other hand if your willing to upgrade your power in the end Id go with dp's. I started out with 4 15s and a 20.1 per and I loved them. they are low end monsters thats for sure. goin with the dps would give you room to upgrade your power down the road. If you got the DR's then your power up grade would be a bit more limited.

my opinion is this sir. if your going to run a 1500 watt amp i would consider the death rows. the dp's are rated at 1500. considering all things and with the amount of power your wanting to start out with i think you would stand to get a lil more output out of them. on the other hand if your willing to upgrade your power in the end Id go with dp's. I started out with 4 15s and a 20.1 per and I loved them. they are low end monsters thats for sure. goin with the dps would give you room to upgrade your power down the road. If you got the DR's then your power up grade would be a bit more limited.

^^ This ^^

I had an 18" Deathrow on an SAX-1200D and the Deathrow sounded great and got nasty loud for the amount of power I was running.

But if you ever plan on upgrading and going with :morepower1: I would definintely go with a Death Penalty.

:drink40:

^^ This ^^

I had an 18" Deathrow on an SAX-1200D and the Deathrow sounded great and got nasty loud for the amount of power I was running.

But if you ever plan on upgrading and going with :morepower1: I would definintely go with a Death Penalty.

:drink40:

my point exactly

there ya go! Appreciate the input. My mind is finally set. So, now to buy that dp and start this build. Hopefully I'll get the time to start a log! The box is planned to about 33hz and near 2.5 cubes. Any other recommendations?

I have a dp18 in my 2001 celica on an IA20.1, and it absolutely kills! I no longer have an interior roof light, or sunroof controls bc the whole piece fell off, my rear view mirror always hangs straight down, the sheet metal around the spoiler is ripped, and my tag is bent @ a 45 degree angle.....I think you will be happy with your decision :)

I have a dp18 in my 2001 celica on an IA20.1, and it absolutely kills! I no longer have an interior roof light, or sunroof controls bc the whole piece fell off, my rear view mirror always hangs straight down, the sheet metal around the spoiler is ripped, and my tag is bent @ a 45 degree angle.....I think you will be happy with your decision :)

That's ridiculous! I need to see this!

x2 where's the vids?

Lol....haven't ever made any....or took any pics for that matter...maybe ill do that sometime soon :)

the dp's in the sale are the ones with the new style motor?

Yes they are.

now I'm way too excited. Have you played around with other box designs? I was thinking sub up port back, but the sheet metal and hole in your ceiling seem to differ lol

Well honestly, there's about 6 available cubes back there, and there's only 1 way to make the box if you need that much airspace. I've done several different setups with this car, and this one is by far the loudest. I do think though, that if you are doing a single 12 that you could try sub up port back, and you may get more output than a box like mine. I feel like my port is getting choked off slightly because the hatch is pretty close to it in the back when it closes. I'm seriously considering building a wall for 6-8 12s though so we will see...lol

I say go with it! Appreciate the input. I'd love to pull the back seats and wall it, but I pack my car full of people way too much. But they could always just sit in the port for roadtrips! :P

I never carry more than 1 extra person at a time, I just dont know if I want to lose my vision from my back side windows...lol.

haha, good point. Hell, the rear view clearance is already horrible. Break out those side mirror skills!

Well, I just ordered my dp12!

I've been refreshing my email every minute as if it'll come faster. Now the waiting game begins, and the box design gets finalized! First box build, so this will be interesting. :dancing: