steveo50

amp for comps

i was looking at the re amp it "says" it will do 200w x2 at 4 ohm. would 100w to 120w be to much i know they are rated for 85 rms. im pretty sure they are under rated so bad idea or go for it? also is it 85w per side or total dont know if this is a dumb question or not.

Use your gain. And what are they? Can't say what they are rated at without knowing.

sorry ia comp. they are rated for 85w

edit: im looking at the amp. i have the ia comps they are rated for 85w i want to put 100 to 120w to them. bad idea?

Edited by steveo50

Listen for stress and adjust the gain accordingly. It will also be dependent on what you cross them at.

they are passive. i have the amp set at the highest setting i think 250hz. hu is at the highest frequency as well i think 220hz the gain on the amp is about a little more then a quarter of the way up i have not checked with ddm yet. they are not distorting from that i cant tell.

they are passive. i have the amp set at the highest setting i think 250hz. hu is at the highest frequency as well i think 220hz the gain on the amp is about a little more then a quarter of the way up i have not checked with ddm yet. they are not distorting from that i cant tell.

I mean your HPF? How low do you let them play?

How do you know they're "under-rated"? I see a huge potential for destruction in your case, I'd just pick up a used 125.2 or 100.2 and keep the gains down.

wow.

yea the high pass is at the highest. idk what the hz is it at the highest. i know cuz i didnt adjust it at first and it sounded like i was going to blow em up. i just assume 85 rms is rms and would handle like 100ish watts

yea the high pass is at the highest. idk what the hz is it at the highest. i know cuz i didnt adjust it at first and it sounded like i was going to blow em up. i just assume 85 rms is rms and would handle like 100ish watts

The output from an amplifier is going to vary depending on the frequency being played. So you could have it hooked up to your "100rms amp" and in actuality the driver is being powered with much much less.

If I were you, I'd buy an amp that fits your budget, fits your space, and advertises 80watts rms or more. :ughdunno:

Ok I get it. I thought that's how to pair an amp and comps. I wanted to make sure I'm doing this right.

Technically you could use a 500watt rms per channel amp, it's all about setting the gain.

Haha yea would be serious over kill. Thanks for the info as well

It's not as much overkill as you think. The dynamics of music make having the extra power, or overhead, a very good thing. Impious has a thread on here that explains in great detail the how and why of it. As long as a person is responsible with the gain and volume and listen for stress from the speakers then it will be fine. Here's the topic on Amplifier Headroom.