ricksi30

Biggest dude on SSA....

So I'm choosing to change my life for the better. I am 5 10" and weigh 478 LBS. I am currently 23 years old and in school and unemployed. I recently went for a job interview in which my buddy had the job for me as long as the interview went well. A few days after the interview he told me that I had a perfect interview, but they didn't feel comfortable hiring me due to my weight. I obviously know that I am overweight but this was a major wake up call. I have now decided that it is time to get my shit in gear and get healthy. I'm just wondering if anyone that has ever been near the weight I'm at has any advice. Love the community here and will definitely keep you guys posted with where I am at!

Thanks, Rick

cut your carbs, fats, sweets. still eat the things you like, just less of it. dont drink soda. drink lots of water. try to get a gym membership and go walking often. dont eat late at night. dont eat big meals. and as long as you are determined you can do it. good luck man

I really appreciate the response. My big problem is eating a lot late at night. All of my friends are very in shape, and I used to play football, and baseball in high school. All of my "jock" friends continued to play sports in college where as I didn't. They are still very active, and I drink and party with them but don't do the activities that they do which is why I've put on so much weight. It is time for me to change my ways and any other comments are greatly appreciated.

Oh and soda is another BIG thing that I'll be cutting out completely.

I cut 40 lbs in 4 months from cutting out fast food, sodas, and walking 3 miles a day. The trick was to do it every day. If I had feet that allowed me to run, I am sure more weight would come off quicker. Try to plan each meal. Sit down and actually come up with a meal calendar, and then eat raw veggies and drink more water for snacks.

To be successful it is imperative that you truly consider this a lifestyle change. Make today a new beginning to your life. The changes you make to your diet and exercise routines must be significant enough to produce results, but cannot be so difficult that it cause you to "burn out." You need to make changes that you can continue for the rest of your life. For example, dont try to start witha 1500 calorie diet and a 6 mile walk everyday. Start slow, make both short term and long term goals, and increase the intensity of your workouts as you progress to avoid a "plateau". Short term goals should be something like, 1 pound this week, or 1 mile today etc... Accomplishing these short term goals gives you reward for your work and makes it much easier to achieve your long term goal of a healthy weight.

Again thanks for the response. I'm probably the most active ~500 lb dude you'll ever meet because I still ball with my friends and am semi active. (By no means am I saying that I'm in shape) So I am able to do active things and exercise. The big things are soda, alcohol, and my BAD eating habits. And on top of all of this I smoke cigs, which I have reduced from a pack a day to two packs a week.

Edited by ricksi30

Thanks trod! Awesome advice.

I'm 6'2" and was about 445 last year. That is the biggest I have ever been. I shed some pounds and got to about 375, and then a health issue I have slowed me down a bit.

It's been said but lake goals, both short and long term goals. Then make an effort to reach for those goals every day. Do something positive every day and it will snowball. The weight will come off faster than you put it on, but you have to keep at it.

For me making my goals public help. Telling people helps to keep me accountable. It's a big deal.

Be proud of what your doing too. Don't let people get in your way, friends might not understand why your changing and trying so hard and that can be tough. Just stay focused and reclaim your life and health.

Check out Bodybuilding.com That site is an excellent source of information. Also their forum is great and the store is excellent.

It all comes down to: determination, diet, excercise

Lots of good info here. You can take a lot from what was said above from each poster and you can not go wrong. I didn't see ANY ill advice. Good luck buddy and keep us updated on your progress.

You have some very good advice here man. I would tend to disagree with the recommendation for bodybuilding.com though. I see it like this, if you want to learn pretty solid information about car audio you visit SSA. If you want generic bullshit and hit an miss advice try car audio.com

The same comes from learning about fitness. Use IntenseMuscle.com to perform research and to look into what may work best for a man of your build. The people who tend to frequent IM are bodybuilders, powerlifters, and guys who comepete in strong man competitions. Numerous members have forgotten more about fitness than most of us will ever know.

Kudos for the lifestyle change, and good luck on the quitting smoking tip. You can do it bro.

J

Since a number of us are very fit, work out daily, or have trained others in the past, should we make this a group effort to lay out a baseline work out and diet plan and keep ricksi responsible?

if you need soda do diet and 1 a day, other then that water. And when you go out to the club get on the dance floor and :dancing: good luck brother

Congrats on deciding to make this life change. Not sure if you are a member but www.bodybuilding.com has a great fitness community and a lot of inspiring stories that detail how they achieved their fitness goals. The site also offers meal plans and workout designed to help you reach a specific goal and loads of information on their free forums. Sounds like you will get a lot of help here from your SSA family but this is also a great site to check out as well.

Again good luck of your journey and remember take it a day at a time and set daily goals for yourself, it may be sticking with your meal plan for the day or doing your workout for the day. Just remember it takes a lot of small steps to make a big change.

Thanks for all of the tips guys! I'll definitely check out some forums, but the main thing will be changing the way I think about food. I've always been a big "eater" I was just always super active. When I graduated in 06 I was 275 and pretty fit. I just need to cut back on food and start getting active again, easier said than done but it is time.

Thank again -Rick

If you get rid of these, I guarantee you will lose weight

Soda

Candy / chocolate / cookies / ice cream

High sugar food/drinks

Fast foods

Also, run for 30 mins 3 times in the gym. Use the stairs instead of elevators (if its 2-3 floors thats good enough).

Eat healthy. Fish recommended. No skins. Lots of vegetables.

Do P90X and that will help a lot, or maybe start with P90

Hope this helps

I used to weight 203, that was my highest weight. Im now on 165. Went from XL shirts to M. From 38 to 34 shorts/pants. Im 5 10 btw.

Edited by slim142

Its not bad to eat alot. You just need to be active, and eat healthy. Hell eat 6 small meals a day. Might help you vs 3 big ass meals.

J

im right there with you brother, a few months ago i started a topic here.. and i worked very hard on it.. and i seen results no doubt 35lbs in 36 days, ... the hard part is sticking to it.. my work fucks me up big time. but im going to get back at it .

i went to the the doctor monday, 445. and im 6'3

im right there with you brother, a few months ago i started a topic here.. and i worked very hard on it.. and i seen results no doubt 35lbs in 36 days, ... the hard part is sticking to it.. my work fucks me up big time. but im going to get back at it .

i went to the the doctor monday, 445. and im 6'3

WOW man I just saw this. Props to you. I bet you're feeling great about it. I hope to have similar results soon. The funny thing is I'm "Big Rick" to my buddy's. Big Rick, and Big Jon get smaller haha.

Edited by ricksi30

Just remember that its 80% diet. So if you are going to focus on one thing, make it your diet. About five years ago I went from 315-255 in about six months. I had a fairly active job, but never worked out. I just ate 5-6 small meals a day, lots of veggies, lean protein and tons of water. If you make a meal plan and have food already prepared it makes it harder to justify cheating on your diet. Because its easier to eat what's already made. Good motivated tell everyone you know what your doing. It keeps you motivated and accouaccountable. The positive feedback from friends as they see results will keep you motivated.

how are you doing rick?

Pretty good man I'm starting to notice a difference. How's your progress been?