Mtopper

Speakers blown

So i was just rear ended 2 hours ago at a red light. I have a 2004 chevy blazer and was the first in my lane at a red light. the guy next to me jumped and the girl behind me floored it in her dodge stratus. When it happened, my door speakers popped and do not work anymore. the fuses are all good, my amp still works as do my subs. So, i'm thinking about buying some raw drivers from Parts express and trying myself at an active 2 way since i have a Pioneer DEH-P880PRS.

Anyone have any good suggestions for under $200 total? I've been looking at Vifa tweeters and Dayton mids because they are so cheap and yet model really well in a few programs i have access to. Thanks for any help

Edited by Mtopper

Are these speakers going in stock locations? If so, what are the stock locations and what size speakers can you fit there?

Are you willing to modify door panels / dash to fit bigger speakers?

Dayton could be nice and you could look at Peerless too.

I think Zaph even has a caraudio set on Madisound using his new drivers. I was looking at the measurements on those for a HT speaker and they look nice.

You could find something from all three and stay under budget.

sorry about that. i was on the phone with Ramrod when i posted.

stock size is 6.5 in the lower door and stock tweeter is in the dash able to fit a 4x6. my current tweeters are in the door card because i didn't have enough speaker wire to put them elsewhere.

i've been looking at these Daytons for the mid, custom pods for them to fit

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-374

and these Vifa for tweeters

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-1006

i figure i can also have a go at fiberglass while doing this thinking about A pillar pods for the tweeters and glassing the doors. I have my Massive Audio Nx4 to provide the power. 100 watts rms at 4 ohms, 200 at 2 ohms,

Have also thought about using Pro audio since Ramrod has 2 Oxygen Audio mids at his house

Are these speakers going in stock locations? If so, what are the stock locations and what size speakers can you fit there?

this is the other half of 913 Customs he better be willing to MODIFY :peepwall:

this is the other half of 913 Customs he better be willing to MODIFY :peepwall:

SUCK IT GILL!!!! i said im willing to right as you posted that haha

Before guessing on brands, styles etc it'd be good to know your desires.

*I wouldn't generically recommend those drivers together in particular for a first time active setup. Breakup mode on the Dayton doesn't let it play high and that tweeter isn't meant to play low. I'd pick drivers with more flexibility in cross points....but even then I'd focus on locations before I ever thought about even shopping.

Ok, thats why i asked for suggestions seeing as how i have never gone active before. Also, i'm willing to modify as i said. Also, i'm not guessing on brands. As i stated, i have modeled these in the programs i have access to and they have come out pretty well mated to each other. So, if it i'm just going to be told i'm wrong because i'm "guessing" and not get help when thats all i'm asking for...... i don't see the point in saying anything.

Anyways-

Fiberglass, anlged, on/off axis, whatever. i'm ok with whatever works best. I'm not ok with modifying to the point of no return on metal. body panels are easy to find at local junk yard.

I will be building a competition vehicle for next season using the whole back end of my truck so it will become a 2 seater. So, i need a front stage that sounds great at low volumes but can keep up with the big booming systems that we have grown accustom to such as Ramrods 153db van.

$200 is the end all be all maximum but i am going to try and stay around that cost.

Edited by Mtopper

I'm sure musical taste and if you're after SQ, SPL, or a mix of both will be required in any attempt to help. What type of speakers have you listened to that you prefer the sound of? Are you interested in going down the PA road or something more traditional? Just a few things off the top of my head.....I've been up for waaaaaaaaay too long to think straight at the moment.

Your only willing to spend a fraction of the cost of your bass setup for your front stage, but you want it to "keep up."

You can get a nice front stage don't get me wrong, just don't expect it to "keep up" with 150db of bass.

To be honest, once you start playing mids and highs that loud, you'll probably go deaf.

Take pictures of your door panels, kick area, and dash.

Start figuring out what size speakers you can fit and where (with fiberglass or any other modifications your willing to do).

Then people who are more knowledgeable then I, can start suggesting what will and will not work well.

Ok, thats why i asked for suggestions seeing as how i have never gone active before. Also, i'm willing to modify as i said. Also, i'm not guessing on brands. As i stated, i have modeled these in the programs i have access to and they have come out pretty well mated to each other. So, if it i'm just going to be told i'm wrong because i'm "guessing" and not get help when thats all i'm asking for...... i don't see the point in saying anything.

Never said you were wrong, said those two won't play nice for a first time. Not sure how you thought this said you were wrong. No need to be emotional.

Before guessing on brands, styles etc it'd be good to know your desires.

There are literally hundreds of options and so far you've given us a "keep up" as your goal. That is a bit subjective, but my definition and yours I bet are different. So yes, I need to know some desires, goals and such to help. Otherwise its going to be a real trick to have a midbass that can play 140dB and no way, no how will that Dayton do it, not even close.

Tell us what you think you are trying to do and we can help. Keep asking for arbitrary recommendations and that is what you will get.

ok, well, last night i'm rear ended when i'm at a dead stand still by someone doing about 15-20mph. Haven't been in an accident in 5 years (T-boned on that one) and i'm a little shaken up. I'm trying to figure stuff out on how to replace whats broken. I've never gotten a straight answer out of you M5. I was beyond pissed off about the accident and your responses were by no means helpful at first. I'm asking for help in figuring out what a good set of speakers to learn with would be. I'll start it fresh here so its easier for people to read. My apologies to those that i was vague for (no sarcasm).

I have a 2004 chevy blazer 2 door.

Stock locations are:

tweeters in the dash firing at the windshield

6.5inch woofers low in the door right by the hinges.

6x9s halfway up the rear wall behind front seats

I'm looking for a setup that will get loud while keeping a relative clearness to it. I'm not looking for a HT setup in my truck. I want to have a setup that will get loud when i crank up the volume to 45 on my Pioneer DEH-P880PRS (out of 60) but be easy to listen to at lower volumes such as 20.

I said $200 because that is what i can squeeze out of my insurance company for the blown speakers i had. Retail on the VRs were $200 when purchased 2 years ago. Still have receipts and all that.

Next year, if i like the sound i can get from an active setup using whatever it may be, whether it raw drivers such as peerless, Dayton, Tang Band etc. or PA speakers like the Seleniums, Daytons, or B&C, I will upgrade to a nicer setup.

The other aspect of this is, if the drivers are cheap enough, i would like to do custom door pods and A pillars using multiple drivers to show off the work as a "WOW" factor.

Kick panels are out of the question because i have a size 14 shoe and spend a lot of time driving my truck. It is my daily driver and for me to go visit my girlfriend at school is an 1.5 hour drive, to go hang out with friends is a 30 minute drive, my shortest drive is to work which is 5 miles. So, i spend a lot of time in my truck.

Thank you Stefan and Sir Lancelot for your suggestions and help. I'm willing to do whatever to my door panels and A pillars because they are easy to find at local junk yards (welcome to michigan, home of GM and 1000s of Blazers/Jimmys) if i sell this truck in a few years.

If i missed something needed, let me know and i can take measurements or find the answer.