FocusedOnSound

Anything that competes with the SA-8?

I used to have a single 10 DCON sealed with about .7 ft^3 of airspace and loved it, just wanted a tad more output. I figured the easiest way would be to put 2 10's in a sealed box. The problem is I'm not sure if I have optimal room for it. I've got a 08 Passat that I want to keep the spare tire available which restricts my area for the box to against seats where the trunk curves in. Not sure if this would give me optimal enclosure for 2 DCONs. My next thought would be to put 2 8" subs instead. The best 8 inch subs I've seen are the Sundown SA-8. Anyone have any other recommendations that fit for my application?

Long story short, here are the cliffs:

- Max dimensions are 8.5x26x13(DxWxH) About 1.5 ft^3 total

- Had a single 10 DCON sealed but wanted a bit more output.

- Concerned that I don't have enough space for 2 DCONs and am contemplating 2 SA-8s

- Subs will be used for daily, no competitions or shows. Main listening would be to a large variety of music like: Gorillaz, Tom Petty, Neil Young, Rick Ross, Red Hot Chili Peppers.

- Will be getting signal from to stock HU (with Line out put converter).

- No Amp chosen yet.

Any other competitors to the SA-8 in the 8 inch range?

EDIT: just saw that SA-8 are not recommend sealed, but recommend ported of .6-1.0 ft^3 per driver

Edited by FocusedOnSound

Why don't you port the dcon?

I would consider going from a 10" driver to a 8" driver is a downgrade as far as output is concerned, cone area for the win.

I would consider going from a 10" driver to a 8" driver is a downgrade as far as output is concerned, cone area for the win.

I would agree with both of those comments.

The Dcon isn't a sealed enclosure oriented subwoofer, that's part of your problem.

Your best option would be to save money and use the subwoofer you have in an appropriate ported enclosure.

Second best option would be to find a good sealed enclosure oriented 12" driver. I would think either the 10" Dcon ported or a single 12" sealed would provide the output you are looking for based on your comments.

i heard a set up with 2 DD 1508's on 1k.. was freaking nuts. sounded amazing, played everything. id say they easily compete, if not beat the sa 8s.

If you liked the sound of the dcon I would jump up to an xcon. Same sound, twice as much output.

If you liked the sound of the dcon I would jump up to an xcon. Same sound, twice as much output.

That's a little extreme. Sure it's a fantastic driver with tons of output, hell I loved mine.

But for someone wanting a little more output then a 10" in a sealed enclosure, why not try a ported enclosure to start off with.

I would much rather run a xcon 10 at half xmax with 2% distortion than squeeze more output out of a sub. Besides you wont get a box ported with his given max deminsions.

OP,

Is there any way you could have the width and depth of the box stay under the width and depth of the panel that lifts for the spare tire area? Then Mount it to that panel (depending on the material), worst comes to worst you could still raise the panel for access.

Just thinking about any other ways that might give you some more volume for a box, otherwise your pretty restricted on options.

I think this is what you should do. You already have the dcon and the space to fit a ported enclosure. I'd definitely try porting it before you spend your money on different drivers.

1.5cuft gross is NOT enough to port two 8's. Buy a single 12" and run it sealed.

OP,

Is there any way you could have the width and depth of the box stay under the width and depth of the panel that lifts for the spare tire area? Then Mount it to that panel (depending on the material), worst comes to worst you could still raise the panel for access.

Just thinking about any other ways that might give you some more volume for a box, otherwise your pretty restricted on options.

Wow, great responses already. Thanks for all the input guys.

I should clarify. I HAD a DCON in my old car (scion tc, hatchback). I sold that setup. I'm assuming that my new car (Passat) has a trunk and is larger, I'll need a decent chunk more sub. On second or third thought I may be able to expand my Depth dimension to about 13-15 inch by following the above idea (about 2ft^3).

Since both of the subs I liked really want a ported enclosure and we aren't sure I have enough volume for that. What are some good sealed subs in 10 or 8 that work for about 2 ft^3. Or would one 10 in a ~2ft^3 ported enclosure trump 2 10 or 2 8's in a sealed?

OP,

Wow, great responses already. Thanks for all the input guys.

I should clarify. I HAD a DCON in my old car (scion tc, hatchback). I sold that setup. I'm assuming that my new car (Passat) has a trunk and is larger, I'll need a decent chunk more sub. On second or third thought I may be able to expand my Depth dimension to about 13-15 inch by following the above idea (about 2ft^3).

Since both of the subs I liked really want a ported enclosure and we aren't sure I have enough volume for that. What are some good sealed subs in 10 or 8 that work for about 2 ft^3. Or would one 10 in a ~2ft^3 ported enclosure trump 2 10 or 2 8's in a sealed?

If you could manage the additional depth then you could probably net volume around the optimal specs for a 10" dcon in a ported enclosure.

One 10" in 2ft^3 ported enclosure theoretically on paper should have the same output as two 10" in 2ft^3 sealed enclosure. Assuming your using the same drivers in comparisons.

So you can guess that 2 8s in 2ft^3 sealed would have less output then the 2 10s sealed or 1 10 ported. (generalization)

I would figure out your max dimensions though, with 100% certainty, otherwise advice on misinformation isn't very helpful.

If you could manage the additional depth then you could probably net volume around the optimal specs for a 10" dcon in a ported enclosure.

One 10" in 2ft^3 ported enclosure theoretically on paper should have the same output as two 10" in 2ft^3 sealed enclosure. Assuming your using the same drivers in comparisons.

So you can guess that 2 8s in 2ft^3 sealed would have less output then the 2 10s sealed or 1 10 ported. (generalization)

I would figure out your max dimensions though, with 100% certainty, otherwise advice on misinformation isn't very helpful.

The updated depth dimension of 14" is pretty accurate. I had chosen 8.5" before because it would make the install easier. A max depth of 14" still allows spare access, I'll just have to modify that trunk floor cover slightly.

thats interesting about the ported 10 having greater output than 2 8 sealed. Thought that the extra cone area might make that up. I'd always like to go with (for simplicity of install/setup) with one sub over two. Do you think that, given 2 ft^3 to work with, that 2 SA-8's ported would work and would they have greater output than 1 10 DCON ported?

Sealed ICON?

The updated depth dimension of 14" is pretty accurate. I had chosen 8.5" before because it would make the install easier. A max depth of 14" still allows spare access, I'll just have to modify that trunk floor cover slightly.

thats interesting about the ported 10 having greater output than 2 8 sealed. Thought that the extra cone area might make that up. I'd always like to go with (for simplicity of install/setup) with one sub over two. Do you think that, given 2 ft^3 to work with, that 2 SA-8's ported would work and would they have greater output than 1 10 DCON ported?

The dual Sa-8's ported would have slightly more output assuming you also supplied them with twice the power of a single 10" Dcon ported. In identical enclosures the SA's would be about 2db louder according to WinISD with twice the power input (I used 1.25cuft). But, the two Sa-8's would also be twice the cost plus the cost of a 600w compared to the cost of a 300w amp, which to me wouldn't be worth a 2db difference based on the goals you've indicated.

In my previous comments though I didn't realize you had already sold the 10" Dcon. You also have the option of looking for a good sealed enclosure 12" driver, which may be a better option for simplicity sake since you are space restricted.

The dual Sa-8's ported would have slightly more output assuming you also supplied them with twice the power of a single 10" Dcon ported. In identical enclosures the SA's would be about 2db louder according to WinISD with twice the power input (I used 1.25cuft). But, the two Sa-8's would also be twice the cost plus the cost of a 600w compared to the cost of a 300w amp, which to me wouldn't be worth a 2db difference based on the goals you've indicated.

In my previous comments though I didn't realize you had already sold the 10" Dcon. You also have the option of looking for a good sealed enclosure 12" driver, which may be a better option for simplicity sake since you are space restricted.

So hows about the thoughts of a 12" sealed dcon? I like how I went from 2 8s to a 12 dcon. I like the sound of that. Gonna poke around for some enclosure options

EDIT: I meant Dcon not Icon.

Edited by FocusedOnSound

Consider this: Choose your max dimensions based on an enclosure size that you can easily install and remove from your trunk. This way if you need to use your spare tire you could simply take your enclosure out of the trunk, remove the spare tire then put the enclosure back in the trunk. I found it helpful to make a simple mock-up box out of cardboard. You find that you can use a larger enclosure than you originally expected.

Consider this: Choose your max dimensions based on an enclosure size that you can easily install and remove from your trunk. This way if you need to use your spare tire you could simply take your enclosure out of the trunk, remove the spare tire then put the enclosure back in the trunk. I found it helpful to make a simple mock-up box out of cardboard. You find that you can use a larger enclosure than you originally expected.

Hey, stop making sense

Hey, stop making sense

Thats what I did with one of my previous installs. I'm gonna get down to trying that with this one over the weekend. However, I'm thinking as long as the box isn't too long, I can simply rotate it 90 degrees to give access to the spare (but secure it with heavy duty Velcro). The trunk of this vehicle is huge, I'm just trying to work around the spare area.

I appreciate all the help guys. Enough jibber jabber from me, now I need to get down to business and start the wheels rolling.

Or he could just run IB, then there's no enclosure to even worry about :P