noonej21

RL-P, what to expect???

First time poster here with a question about the RL-P. I have entered the market to find a new sub after a nuked my old school round solo(12 inch D series, had it less than a week bought it brand new never used). I was floating around the caraudio.com forums and saw many people talking up the sound splinter product(I created a similar post to this over there today and all repsonse have been very positive) so I checked out the web site and came away impressed, yet looking for more info. Basically I just wanted to get some opinions as to how this speaker compares to my solobaric.

I went with the solo because I loved the small sealed box design. I want my system to sound good but don't want to lose all of my trunk space. As for power I have a PPI PC2150, which is rated at 600 x 1 @4 ohms but I have heard that it may put out more than that. I am looking to once again go with a single 12 setup. While searching I have come across the obvious names W6, W7, Type R, L7's and have been able to listen to them all. I liked the JL's but the cost is just too much. I have also done some research into the ID MAX's as well but even they are some what highly priced. Any info you guys can provide would be great.

thanks again

Edited by noonej21

First time poster here with a question about the RL-P. I have entered the market to find a new sub after a nuked my old school round solo(12 inch D series, had it less than a week bought it brand new never used). I was floating around the caraudio.com forums and saw many people talking up the sound splinter product(I created a similar post to this over there today and all repsonse have been very positive) so I checked out the web site and came away impressed, yet looking for more info. Basically I just wanted to get some opinions as to how this speaker compares to my solobaric.

I went with the solo because I loved the small sealed box design. I want my system to sound good but don't want to lose all of my trunk space. As for power I have a PPI PC2150, which is rated at 600 x 1 @4 ohms but I have heard that it may put out more than that. I am looking to once again go with a single 12 setup. While searching I have come across the obvious names W6, W7, Type R, L7's and have been able to listen to them all. I liked the JL's but the cost is just too much. I have also done some research into the ID MAX's as well but even they are some what highly priced. Any info you guys can provide would be great.

thanks again

Just as said on ca.com, you will love this woofer. It does everything the right way and nothing the wrong way.

My RL-p

Thats my 15, 2.5 sealed, ~450 watts.

I've heard Type R and RL-p definitely own it by miles, it's a very clean and sweet sub, it just so smooth. Then again it come back to your ears.

I've heard Type R and RL-p definitely own it by miles, it's a very clean and sweet sub, it just so smooth. Then again it come back to your ears.

Oh man, that's crazy I've owned everything you have and still do. I had a 10" round solo a long time ago, I still use my PPI PC2150 every day (and I've ran it at 2ohms mono for 7 years). I have a 12" RLP and I'm still in love with it (had it since last March) and I have an IDmax (almost as good sq as the RLP but it's a bit louder) and it has another inch and a half of mounting depth so that's a drawback in nearly all cases. (my max only cost me 150, 50broken then 100recone)

One nice thing about an RLP is that 99% of the people that own em are happy with em and would consider buying them again. I've owned lots of subs and the RLP is one of them that I actually like. Most subs just don't impress me, they might boom a little but the ability to play clean quick low and loud are hard to come by.

buy one and build a killer box, the amp you have should be fine I use the same one and it doesn't get too hot, but the rlp could take more power of you want.

Thanks for all the input guys, this basically mirors what was said over at caraudio.com as well. Considering the 600 watts or so that I will be sending it what size enclosure should I build? I was reading the spec sheet and it mentions sealed enclosures ranging between .75 - 1.5 ft^3. In a perfect world I could add another 3/4 baffle to the box I just made for my solo(~.75 FT^3) to account for the greater mounting depth of the RL-P and I would be done with it. But things typically are not that easy and I do not want to risk blowing this one.

Thanks again.

a few years back, a 15" round solo was in my truck, it is in my top 5 subs I have owned all time, ran it sealed and loved it,

the output was greater than my RL-p 12D2, but that is due to cone size, but with out a doubt the RL-p is a more versitale and cleaner sub to my ears in my install, and from my experience the RL-p will take big power with more ease,

Mike will gladly give you all the info you want, but if you are looking at a 12", ported you should look to build in the 1.5 to 2.0 cubes range, and try to aim to tune it in the 27 - 34hz area, I choose the large box for a little more efficency and tuned low for all kinds of clarity, a few people have said no SQ was lost in tuning around 34hz and gained more output,

great choice

You nailed a couple of the reasons I bought mine:

Great SQ, small box for a 12", and superb company to work with.

i have the rlp15 been using it since the summer, still a very satisfied customer! my father was so jealous of my rl-p(mind u he is a jl fan) he actually went out and bought a rli-10.

he actually went out and bought a rli-10.

:bigok:

I'm one of the few people (very few) that seem to be a little let down with the performance of the RL-p.

I just bought a 15" RL-p and its hooked up to a Directed 1500 amp.

pushing 1100wrms @ 1 ohm.

sub is in a 2.25 cu. ft sealed enclosure and inverted. its pretty deep but its not as loud as I thought it would be.

I own two L7 solo's that I use in my living room. they are both sharing a 1000 watt amp. those things are CRAZY loud. but they are a SPL woofer.

I think my mistake was putting this RL-p in a small sealed enclosure. I most likely going to build a ported enclosure and see how it works.

Maybe I'll run some video on my sub in action and post it here for you guys to see/hear. Its most likely performing exactly how it should and my expectations were just too high. All I ever read/heard about RL-p subs was/is how awesome they are. I will say one thing though, it might not get loud enough for me but it without a doubt gets deep enough. :D

yea... i think the RLp's are a ported woofer... my 12" in a 2 cube sealed box didnt get as low as i wnated it to... it was only when i ported. did it get LOW. like LOW LOW

I'm one of the few people (very few) that seem to be a little let down with the performance of the RL-p.

I just bought a 15" RL-p and its hooked up to a Directed 1500 amp.

pushing 1100wrms @ 1 ohm.

sub is in a 2.25 cu. ft sealed enclosure and inverted. its pretty deep but its not as loud as I thought it would be.

I own two L7 solo's that I use in my living room. they are both sharing a 1000 watt amp. those things are CRAZY loud. but they are a SPL woofer.

I think my mistake was putting this RL-p in a small sealed enclosure. I most likely going to build a ported enclosure and see how it works.

Maybe I'll run some video on my sub in action and post it here for you guys to see/hear. Its most likely performing exactly how it should and my expectations were just too high. All I ever read/heard about RL-p subs was/is how awesome they are. I will say one thing though, it might not get loud enough for me but it without a doubt gets deep enough. :D

you have to port it and watch it come alive :fing34:

well sealed will give you more extension into subsonic levels (<20hz) but the OUTPUT in the 20~40hz range won't be nearly as nice as a ported box...

I just wanted to thank you guys for all your comments on the sub. Since I started this thread I have actually been able to replace my round solo with another for the time being. I still have plans to purchase something new this summer.

From most comments it sounds like ported is the way to go. I admit I have never ran a sub ported so this is new territory for me. Can clean, tight bass still be achieved in a ported setup? I have no intentions to compete, I jsut want to be able to enjoy my stereo system. Consider my amp(PPI PC2150 600x1 @4) would the ported enclosure be a better option. I have always stuck with sealed because as important as a good sounding system has been to me I have always been concerned with retaining as much trunck space as possible(and keeping access to the spare). I guess the easiest way for me to tell what box I like better is to build one of each and drop it in the trunk and see. Thanks again for all the help!

good luck, mike has all the recomended enclosure sizes on the website, good luck

well sealed will give you more extension into subsonic levels (<20hz) but the OUTPUT in the 20~40hz range won't be nearly as nice as a ported box...

yeah I noticed exactly that. really low Hz sound very good. I actually like the 28 to 50 Hz range. If I go ported down the road I will port to 28 Hz most likely.

Edited by Amish Marauder